Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times

Advertisements

This is why the people that emigrate here from the third world tend to be from the lower class of their country. Most with any education are not going to come here to be exploited as a cheap labor Coolie. There is a long history of cheap labor exploitation that is part of the business plan in Anglo speaking countries.

This is more morally wrong than slavery. At least in slavery, the slave was cared for and provided with everything from shelter to food and care. Sort of like a wife.

The Anglo's got rid of slavery not because it was morally wrong but because they figured out they had a better deal using people as day laborers and fooling them into thinking it was freedom. This is wretched proletariat described by Dicken's that persists until today. The only freedom there is the freedom to exploit. It boils down to having a slave which is like a wife; someone who you are bound to and have to care for forever. They figured out the better deal for the employer is to find day laborer's that are like prostitutes; people you can just pay a minimum wage and drop when you are down servicing your needs. It is much cheaper and easier to have a prostitute than a wife. This whorelike life with little security was marketed as the freedom we live under today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I met a guy who came here from Ecuador and obtained documentation to work in the US. He worked here for 15 years in a paper factory that recently shut down and moved to Mexico. It made me think about a person's perceptions about what they gain by coming to America illegally. They work at substandard jobs, often live in tight, crowded conditions (i.e., firetraps) but can't report violations, and could be deported at any time. With NAFTA and businesses that used to employ people in menial labor moving abroad, is it still worthwhile to come to the US -- especially when you don't know any English? From what I understand, in comparison to the 80s - 90s, things really improved in S. America. So even if you're a campesino, wouldn't it be worthwhile to get an education in your own country to improve your life there?

Last edited by samyn on the green; 07-18-2010 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,806 times
[quote=Fred314X;15057768]Not long ago, I read a statistic on the largest number of illegal aliens in New York City by community. Believe me when I tell you--it came as a surprise to know that two of the largest such groups are Israelis and Poles!

There are also, many illegals in NY from Russia, Asia, and many other countries. But some of these groups are untouchable................it is much easier to pick on the Hispanic population...............they have little political power............for now................let's see what happens by 2030, when close to the MAJORITY in the USA is going to be Hispanic, according to articles I have read................. Just ponder this........

Several years' ago, I worked at a VERY well-known counseling center in Coney Island, Brooklyn, and the members of one particular group, will come to the center fashionably- dressed and driving Lincoln Continentals, Mercedez Benz, and other fancy cars. What caught my attention? Most of them were collecting Welfare from the City of NY. Go figure.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I dont like you using somalia as an example. When it comes to illegals they are very few compared to everyone else. Mexicans are the better example. Lets look at the boarder states and see the crime problem that they cause. Anyone ever heard of m13? Kidnappings, drugs, murders are all the problems that come with them. .
For your information: Mexicans have difficulties in their country arising from the drug trade, when Colombia realized it was easier to bring the drugs into the USA, through the border.

MS-13 are gangs that have infiltrated San Salvador and Honduras, and now have crossed the border into the USA.

Kidnappings started in Columbia, and again, infiltrated into Mexico.

Gangs became a problem in California, when Mexican citizens were abused by American gangs, and created their own gangs...............to fight injustices.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
I'll bet this is another left-wing Michael Moore-esque film that puts a spin on it and distorts facts. The fact is, it wasn't that long ago that Americans were doing the jobs that they claim no American wants to do. Heck, I know Americans, who want to do certain jobs and they will not hire them. I know of several places in the Bronx that hires legal immigrants, yet will not hire Blacks. Food for thought...
They hire immigrants because they are the only ones that will break concrete when temperatures are over 90 degrees. Immigrants have a WORK ETHIC.................

Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,696 times
[quote=Latina7;15097908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Not long ago, I read a statistic on the largest number of illegal aliens in New York City by community. Believe me when I tell you--it came as a surprise to know that two of the largest such groups are Israelis and Poles!

There are also, many illegals in NY from Russia, Asia, and many other countries. But some of these groups are untouchable................it is much easier to pick on the Hispanic population...............they have little political power............for now................let's see what happens by 2030, when close to the MAJORITY in the USA is going to be Hispanic, according to articles I have read................. Just ponder this........

Several years' ago, I worked at a VERY well-known counseling center in Coney Island, Brooklyn, and the members of one particular group, will come to the center fashionably- dressed and driving Lincoln Continentals, Mercedez Benz, and other fancy cars. What caught my attention? Most of them were collecting Welfare from the City of NY. Go figure.
No one said it was only the illegal mexicans who abuse the system. ALL ILLEGALS MUST LEAVE not only illegal mexicans. When it comes to political power I would say hispanics have a lot of it. Ever wonder why neither political party does anything about the illegal problem? Can you tell me how in 2030 hispanics will be the majority? Reconquesta, ever hear that term?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Default cheap labor needed

It is also about the employers that are looking for people to exploit. The problem here is that the great society programs devolved many working or lower class people into useless eaters that are too proud to work but plenty proud to cash welfare.

With millions of useless eaters unemployable; farming, service work and animal industry has a dire need for people to work. Illegal immigrants fill this role for cheap labor and the government protects the right of employers to exploit them. Their illegal status gives the employers an upperhand over the workers and also provides leverage on the middle class by mitigating wages.

It is a situation that is masterfully exploited by the upper class. It is so masterfully exploited that most feel anger about the situation but foolishly direct the anger towards those that are exploited and not those how are engineering the whole situation from behind the scenes.

[quote=DSNYSANMAN;15098177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
No one said it was only the illegal mexicans who abuse the system. ALL ILLEGALS MUST LEAVE not only illegal mexicans. When it comes to political power I would say hispanics have a lot of it. Ever wonder why neither political party does anything about the illegal problem? Can you tell me how in 2030 hispanics will be the majority? Reconquesta, ever hear that term?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:49 PM

[quote=DSNYSANMAN;15098177]
Quote:

Political parties know that we are going to be NEARLY the majority by 2030/40.............and we WILL REMEMBER......................

Old 07-19-2010, 01:40 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
I know Americans, who want to do certain jobs and they will not hire them. I know of several places in the Bronx that hires legal immigrants, yet will not hire Blacks. Food for thought...
Quote:
They hire immigrants because they are the only ones that will break concrete when temperatures are over 90 degrees. Immigrants have a WORK ETHIC.................
Whoever these employers are, are committing two crimes:
1) Practicing employment discrimination; and
2) Employing illegals

First of all, I'm not going to compliment anyone who is able-bodied/minded enough to work, needs money, and is unwilling. That is one story. But why should any American (black, white or otherwise) work in conditions that we fought hard to correct back in the early part of the 20th century (don't you remember the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory)? We are entitled to certain protections in the workplace (sanitary conditions, benefits, working hours, breaks, workers compensation if we are injured on the job, etc.). Illegals don't get this and, out of fear, they would never report their employers either.

I am sure that you, Latina7, would not work in some of the conditions I have seen.

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-19-2010 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
This is why the people that emigrate here from the third world tend to be from the lower class of their country. Most with any education are not going to come here to be exploited as a cheap labor Coolie. There is a long history of cheap labor exploitation that is part of the business plan in Anglo speaking countries.

This is more morally wrong than slavery. At least in slavery, the slave was cared for and provided with everything from shelter to food and care. Sort of like a wife.
A wife? Would you put your wife into the fields from sun up until sundown doing back-breaking labor . Slaveowners denied slaves the right to read (to be educated at all, basically) to speak their own languages, to share in the profits of the plantation ANDto leave the plantation. They were prisoners, essentially. I think your analogy is rather simplistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The Anglo's got rid of slavery not because it was morally wrong but because they figured out they had a better deal using people as day laborers and fooling them into thinking it was freedom ...people you can just pay a minimum wage and drop when you are down servicing your needs.
Probably so. And, in some cases, they pay below minimum wage.

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-19-2010 at 02:29 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 AM

Sorry to say it but this line of thinking is part of the indoctrination that we all go through in school. It helps you to hate the past and love today's regime. The truth is that when slavery was abolished in the new world many of the ex-slaves ended up doing the same work but only in more squalid conditions than before. What is worse is that they had to provide stability for themselves and they had nobody to look after their physical/moral/mental health.

As time progressed machinery mitigated much of the backbreaking labor of that era but there are plenty of people today doing work in conditions worse than the former era. This was the hidden appeal for abolishing slavery; when the harvest season is over the slaves are no longer needed they are out on their butt. Think about it from the point of view of the landowner or corporation that owns these mega-farms or factories? Do you want a workforce that is beholden to you for their needs 365 days a year or do you want a transient workforce who you only pay -the minimum of course- when you need them? You don't want the wife that is beholden to you, you want the prostitute labor. Sell the latter as freedom and the trick is complete. Most of all their personal problems are not your problem and all you have to do is count the profits.

This is the very heart of the illegal immigration issue. The machine still needs the cheapest slaves possible; if acquiring these slaves is illegal the government will make following the law illegal. Since big money controls TV in new York, you will only hear this issue presented as a human rights issue but it is and will always be cheap labor issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
A wife? Would you put your wife into the fields from sun up until sundown doing back-breaking labor . Slaveowners denied slaves the right to think to read, to speak their own languages, to share in the profits of the plantation, and to leave the plantation. They were prisoners, essentially. I think your analogy is rather simplistic.

Probably so. And, in some cases, they pay below minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City