Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:54 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Really ? That's not what I see and this whole thread's existence is a good example.Go back to the OP's original post.It complains about illegal Dominicans and illegal West Indians.No mention of illegal Israeli's,Pols, Irish or Albanians.

Every time I see a news story or a thread on a forum like this or overhear a discussion between individuals,the focus is on Mexicans or other Hispanics or black people.

When was the last time you saw or heard a discussion in the media or among individuals complaining about all the illegal Israeli's,Pols,Irish or Albanians?

As I mentioned in an earlier post,I am an Irish American who has a number of 1st cousins here( both here in NY and in Boston) illegally so I'm not exactly pulling out the race card or crying about discrimination against my people.I do watch the whole illegal immigration debate quite closely however and I am only commenting on what I see. Just trying to keep it real here.
Very good point.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
Bloomberg is always defending illegal immigration.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,943 times
Because there is no problem. Immigrants are actually good for the city.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Nearly all good jobs require either an elite education or union membership, both of which are very difficult (impossible?) for an illegal immigrant to get. There's little competition unless you want to be a dishwasher. On the selfish side, we know that if there were no illegal immigration we'd have to pay more for manicures or to have our laundry done.
Excellent point. I was thinking about this yesterday, remembering my brother and my dad cutting the lawn, polishing my own nails (not called "manicures") and hanging laundry in the backyard with mom. We managed then ... couldn't we again?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:40 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Legal immigrants are actually good for the city.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:06 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:
Really ? That's not what I see and this whole thread's existence is a good example.Go back to the OP's original post.It complains about illegal Dominicans and illegal West Indians.No mention of illegal Israeli's,Pols, Irish or Albanians.

Every time I see a news story or a thread on a forum like this or overhear a discussion between individuals,the focus is on Mexicans or other Hispanics or black people.

When was the last time you saw or heard a discussion in the media or among individuals complaining about all the illegal Israeli's,Pols,Irish or Albanians?

As I mentioned in an earlier post,I am an Irish American who has a number of 1st cousins here( both here in NY and in Boston) illegally so I'm not exactly pulling out the race card or crying about discrimination against my people.I do watch the whole illegal immigration debate quite closely however and I am only commenting on what I see. Just trying to keep it real here.
Well I never heard anyone talk about haitians coming here illegally but many do I guess those are the black people you were refering to because I never heard anyone say illegal black people coming here. Well for the most part most of the illegals that come to this country are from mexico and south america because it is so easy which is why most of the time they talk about mexicans when they are refering to illegals.
What I dont get it why dont people understand that if you come here illegally you are committing a crime. If you cant respect our laws what are you doing here? Many people want to come to this country and do so legally why do they get punished for doing the right thing? It takes years to get here legally, why should you come here legally when you can do it illegally and have all those bleeding hearts try to get them legal status.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM

217 posts, read 554,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Well I never heard anyone talk about haitians coming here illegally but many do I guess those are the black people you were refering to because I never heard anyone say illegal black people coming here. Well for the most part most of the illegals that come to this country are from mexico and south america because it is so easy which is why most of the time they talk about mexicans when they are refering to illegals.
What I dont get it why dont people understand that if you come here illegally you are committing a crime. If you cant respect our laws what are you doing here? Many people want to come to this country and do so legally why do they get punished for doing the right thing? It takes years to get here legally, why should you come here legally when you can do it illegally and have all those bleeding hearts try to get them legal status.
Thank you DSNY. As a child of parents who did it the right way and waited YEARS to get here its total nonsense. As for the person who said many Irish, Albanian and others come here illegally, go down to your local social services building and see how much those Irish/Albanians are burdening the system. Only in the US can you make an argument for 'Well I came here illegally but I have now built a life for myself, so I shouldnt have to go back.'

I dont hate anyone, but if you are Illegal you shouldnt have any rights. People doing it the right way, welcome, like my parents were welcome.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM

316 posts, read 989,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Illegal immigrants, but thanks for trying!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
A teacher recommended this film. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds interesting. A Day Without A Mexican.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,354 times
Quote:

Because they're not the ones committing 90% of the crimes.

Also take a step back and compare a regular Irish person from Ireland vs a Somali from worn torn Somalia. Whom would likely come here to America and committ a crime whether it be over money or whatever? Whom would come here to earn money legitly at a job? Enough said. Stop telling me to be politically correct or fair or whatever, you know the truth behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City