U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,501 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I would like to find a studio apartment in NJ. Any pointers on where i should be looking for?

My work location would be close to 1 New York Plaza, New York, NY 10019.

My budget is below 1k and i am willing to travel 45mins or more to work. I am currently in Dallas,Tx so i have no idea where to start

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Well...zip code 10019 is the west side of Midtown Manhattan, between 49 and 59 Streets. So you'd be near the Lincoln Tunnel. Hoboken and Jersey City might be two of your best bets.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:57 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,792,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well...zip code 10019 is the west side of Midtown Manhattan, between 49 and 59 Streets. So you'd be near the Lincoln Tunnel. Hoboken and Jersey City might be two of your best bets.
I think the ZIP is wrong. Isn't 1 NY Plaza down by Battery Park?

If so, Jersey City and Hoboken have PATH train access to the WTC station. If you don't want to live in an urban area or find those cities too expensive, you can look farther west along the NJ transit lines going into Hoboken. It's possible to get the PATH to WTC at Newark Penn Station as well, but it takes longer to get to NYC on the PATH from Newark.

More info would help. Do you want urban or suburban, do you plan to have a car, what kind of neighborhood (nightlife nearby or quiet, etc.)? There are literally hundreds of neighborhoods and towns in the NYC area.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,501 times
@ holden125, thanks for your reply! Yes you are correct, i had the wrong zipcode. I was talking about the one near Battery Park. I will try to give you more details....

I prefer suburban,i plan to get my car along which i would use for groceries, weekends etc. Since i plan to have my car i wouldn't mind if i am slightly away from nightlife, but it would definitely be a plus if i can find a place close to nightlife in a suburb!

From what i have read so far, newark seems like a good option. Is it really a bad idea to drive to work from umm newark to manhattan?? google maps say 1hr in traffic else less than 30mins! If i start early like 7:30am can i avoid the traffic? and how expensive are the tolls?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:54 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,850,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_cobbie View Post
@ holden125, thanks for your reply! Yes you are correct, i had the wrong zipcode. I was talking about the one near Battery Park. I will try to give you more details....

I prefer suburban,i plan to get my car along which i would use for groceries, weekends etc. Since i plan to have my car i wouldn't mind if i am slightly away from nightlife, but it would definitely be a plus if i can find a place close to nightlife in a suburb!

From what i have read so far, newark seems like a good option. Is it really a bad idea to drive to work from umm newark to manhattan?? google maps say 1hr in traffic else less than 30mins! If i start early like 7:30am can i avoid the traffic? and how expensive are the tolls?

No parking

Old 07-18-2010, 02:02 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Well, first and foremost, "under 1k" is about how much you'd pay for a spot to sleep on the sidewalk. You've really GOT to comprehend that reality.

Second, if your salary is commensurate with your rental needs, then I strongly suggest you investigate whether you can afford a car in NYC. A car is a luxury here. Have you investigated what insurance would costs? $2-4k per year I would imagine, given a decent car and young age.

Given that your work is at 1 NY Plaza, directly across from the Staten Island Ferry terminal, I suggest you look on Staten Island. Staten Island will be relatively affordable given your needs and the cost everywhere else. It also has everything else you need, as someone desiring a close suburban environment. Also, the likelihood of your managing to keep your car rises 100 fold.

BTW, driving to work is not an option for you. Parking is incredibly expensive. Commuting, by public transport, from Staten Island to downtown Manhattan is very simple and easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City