Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 9,633 times

Advertisements

hey, this is my situation.
I live with my mother and two year old daughter in a two bedroom NYCHA apartment. I would like to get my own apartment in NYCHA and it would be only myself and my daughter. I am 20 yrs old and employed. I don't know what to do. Should i ask for a transfer into another apartment or should i apply to a housing apartment with a general application? Am i even allowed to apply to another NYCHA apartment if i already live in one? I know that us three living in a two bedroom apartment does not qualify as overcrowding, but i really want my own apartment. I can't afford any place else. what are your suggestions? I would like to apply/transfer to a two bedroom apartment, that way my daughter can get her own room when she's older. Thanks for your time and consideration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM

91 posts, read 312,013 times
I am not 100% sure- but I believe you would have to apply for NYCHA through a general application and this will take a number of years just because of the large number of people on the waiting list.

You should ask your housing caseworker for more details.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 41,713 times
Did they give your mother a two bedroom apartment because of you and your daughter being under her household? Call your local NYCHA office of the borough you reside in and ask a staff member's advice on whether or not you could apply separately. If so, go ahead and submit an application you have nothing to lose. I was called back within 7 months for an interview and I am right now just waiting for the development I chose to call me when an apt is available. I am also 20 with a 2 year old

Old 07-25-2010, 07:49 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,376 times
You dont want to live somewhere else other than the projects?

*please understand im NOT trying to be an ass here..born n raised in the projects myself. Just wondering why you dont want to apply to other affordable housing as well. They can be just as afforbable as the projects..and can get a chance to raise your child in a better enviornment

Old 07-30-2010, 01:41 AM

5 posts, read 18,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuadee1530 View Post
hey, this is my situation.
I live with my mother and two year old daughter in a two bedroom NYCHA apartment. I would like to get my own apartment in NYCHA and it would be only myself and my daughter. I am 20 yrs old and employed. I don't know what to do. Should i ask for a transfer into another apartment or should i apply to a housing apartment with a general application? Am i even allowed to apply to another NYCHA apartment if i already live in one? I know that us three living in a two bedroom apartment does not qualify as overcrowding, but i really want my own apartment. I can't afford any place else. what are your suggestions? I would like to apply/transfer to a two bedroom apartment, that way my daughter can get her own room when she's older. Thanks for your time and consideration
Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I grew up in a NYCHA apartment with my mother, and I became a single mom while still living with her. We had a three bedroom apartment, though. You could definitely apply for an apartment, you will have a better chance because you're already a resident. It DID take four years for me to get the apartment, though. After submitting my application, a year or two later I got the interview, and two years after that I got a list of available developments in Manhattan. I think NYCHA gives priority if you're already on a lease.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 AM

447 posts, read 1,564,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf_colon View Post
I am not 100% sure- but I believe you would have to apply for NYCHA through a general application and this will take a number of years just because of the large number of people on the waiting list.

You should ask your housing caseworker for more details.
If you choose the borough and housing development with fewer people on the waiting list you can get your apartment almost right away. There are some projects with dozens of apartments sitting vacant right now just don't choose Manhattan or an extremely desirable development as you can wait for years.
For instance if you choose to live in Brownsville houses you will get your apartment pretty quickly, and if you choose a Manhattan project it could take years.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 38,283 times
I received a letter from housing regarding 2 bedroom apartments available in a certain development and if I was interested to mail it back with the names of the occupants. I called to check the status and they tell me I am on the waiting list for an interview. This is very deceiving why would I be placed on a waiting list for a interview if they are available wouldn't they just schedule one once my respone was received. Does anyone know how this all works????? HELP :-)

Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM

11 posts, read 75,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulla2 View Post
I received a letter from housing regarding 2 bedroom apartments available in a certain development and if I was interested to mail it back with the names of the occupants. I called to check the status and they tell me I am on the waiting list for an interview. This is very deceiving why would I be placed on a waiting list for a interview if they are available wouldn't they just schedule one once my respone was received. Does anyone know how this all works????? HELP :-)
The reason you would be placed on a waiting list is because they anticipate vacancies in the future. It is deceiving, but think of this way, at least you have your name somewhere! Keep thinking positive thoughts, it will come to you.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 38,283 times
Thank you VRoese.. That's all I can do is be positve and wait :-)

Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 PM

66 posts, read 330,792 times
Hey chulla2, I'm in a similar situation as you. Almost a month ago I received the same kind of letter regarding two available apartments and I had to confirm who will be leaving there. Did you get any response yet? And when did you received this letter? I was really thinking I was about to get the apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City