Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 AM

966 posts, read 2,445,737 times

Advertisements

Can you also describe some of the ways you have whittled down your grocery budget?

I need to learn how to live (but not starve, lol) on a shoestring during my first month and a half or so back in NYC. I will be living on my savings during that time, and I know how NYC can nickle and dime you to near death. I am also using this move back to NYC to completely re-evaluate my grocery/food budget over the long haul. I think I was spending way too much money on food in the past--in the ballpark of about $400 to $500 per month.

A related question: Is there a drastic difference between grocery or food expenses in the Bronx v. Manhattan? I will very likely be living in the Bronx.

The more ideas or tips the better. I need a plan, and I need some figures.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
The Bronx may be cheaper for many items than Manhattan, because the stores rent leases probably cost a lot less than Manhattan's.

I suggest brown-bagging you lunches and snacks, and checking for sales at your local stores, and the stores in the area that you work in. Don't overlook smaller stores that you may ordinarily pass by, sometimes they have good prices on certain items.

Also buy more fruits and vegatables, eat fruit instead of buying juices, and drink water instead of soft drinks. This will save you money, and improve your overall health. Also whole grains, and beans are very filling, and cheap.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The Bronx may be cheaper for many items than Manhattan, because the stores rent leases probably cost a lot less than Manhattan's.

I suggest brown-bagging you lunches and snacks, and checking for sales at your local stores, and the stores in the area that you work in. Don't overlook smaller stores that you may ordinarily pass by, sometimes they have good prices on certain items.

Also buy more fruits and vegatables, eat fruit instead of buying juices, and drink water instead of soft drinks. This will save you money, and improve your overall health. Also whole grains, and beans are very filling, and cheap.
Excellent suggestions, DAS. Much thanks.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:23 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
If you want some great fresh food, including produce, hand made dips (hummus, etc.), and some other grocery items at a reasonable price, go to Garden Gourmet in The Bronx. It's on Broadway in Kingsbridge, right near 234th on the west side of Broadway, across from Staples. Nearby is a Stop & Shop, and Target is on 225th & Broadway in Marble Hill -- so you could plan a destination shopping trip, provided you bring your cart. Garden Gourmet also has meats, but since I don't eat them I cannot personally comment, though I do know people in Riverdale who buy there, and return, so they must be good, especially since some of said people will travel to Lobel's and Zabar's in a heartbeat for meats or specialty items.

There's also an Asian grocery company, Chung Li, that I have heard about, over in the Parkchester area. I think that they also have a branch somewhere else in the East Bronx. They are supposed to be quite reasonable, and have a good selection, but I have not been there myself to know for certain. There's also an H-Mart, which is also an Asian grocery store, and sells some conventional items as well, but the closest without a car would be Flushing.

I think that a real way to stretch your food budget would be to incorporate various types of beans into dishes, among other vegan dishes, since they are generally inexpensive, aside from finding some exotic ingredients for specialty dishes. A couple of cookbooks to help in that regard would include: Christina Perillo's Cooking the Whole Foods Way, Linda Long's Great Chefs Cook Vegan, or Veganomicon by Chandra Maskowitz.

Generally, prices are less expensive in The Bronx, but not always. You can also save on household items and the like by going to a Target or K-Mart, as opposed to the corner Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, or smaller market.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you want some great fresh food, including produce, hand made dips (hummus, etc.), and some other grocery items at a reasonable price, go to Garden Gourmet in The Bronx. It's on Broadway in Kingsbridge, right near 234th on the west side of Broadway, across from Staples. Nearby is a Stop & Shop, and Target is on 225th & Broadway in Marble Hill -- so you could plan a destination shopping trip, provided you bring your cart. Garden Gourmet also has meats, but since I don't eat them I cannot personally comment, though I do know people in Riverdale who buy there, and return, so they must be good, especially since some of said people will travel to Lobel's and Zabar's in a heartbeat for meats or specialty items.

There's also an Asian grocery company, Chung Li, that I have heard about, over in the Parkchester area. I think that they also have a branch somewhere else in the East Bronx. They are supposed to be quite reasonable, and have a good selection, but I have not been there myself to know for certain. There's also an H-Mart, which is also an Asian grocery store, and sells some conventional items as well, but the closest without a car would be Flushing.

I think that a real way to stretch your food budget would be to incorporate various types of beans into dishes, among other vegan dishes, since they are generally inexpensive, aside from finding some exotic ingredients for specialty dishes. A couple of cookbooks to help in that regard would include: Christina Perillo's Cooking the Whole Foods Way, Linda Long's Great Chefs Cook Vegan, or Veganomicon by Chandra Maskowitz.

Generally, prices are less expensive in The Bronx, but not always. You can also save on household items and the like by going to a Target or K-Mart, as opposed to the corner Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, or smaller market.
Wow. Thank you so much. This is great, and interestingly I have recently been dancing with the idea of becoming a vegetarian again. You make it seem do-able--both healthy and relatively inexpensive. God, I love this forum.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:51 PM

194 posts, read 623,102 times
I easily live on a budget of $150 (or even less) for groceries.

There are four main tips for staying within a (my) budget:
1. Avoid prepared/deli foods; for example, sliced chicken breast or ham might be 6.99/lb; you can by fresh chicken breasts or a pork loin for less than half that, cook a bunch of them at a time, and freeze them. Not only cheaper, but much healthier (lacking all the additives, etc.) Prepared soups, rice mixes, frozen dinners, etc. are also real budget busters - and generally pretty nasty anyway.

2. Related to above - ONLY buy things on sale - and there will always be items on sale. The savings can be absolutely astronomical. And if you stock up when things are on sale, you'll never have an empty pantry. This saves time, as well as money.

3. Get whatever "Bonus Card" the store offers; most (like Stop 'n Shop) have them. When I shop there - buying things only on sale, with the use of my card - I regularly save over $50/month.

4. Get into the habit of cooking "in bulk" (and freezing, as mentioned above), so that you don't have to buy lunch. Bring leftovers from the night before; it will easily save you over $40/week.

And get to know which places have the best prices for the specific items you want. As another poster noted above, Garden Gourmet regularly has lower produce prices than many grocery stores (although Stop 'n Shop, across the street, often has produce items on sale that match or beat their prices; full price, however, Stop 'n Shop is much more expensive). Fairway in Harlem also has great prices on meat, if you can buy a family pack - and the quality is generally excellent. But again, watch for sales; if you just look at what's on special, you can almost always get beef, chicken, or pork at half the regular price (and I don't mean because it's old or otherwise lesser quality, it's just that it's a weekly special).

Once you get into the habit of having a full fridge/pantry, and know how to cook things efficiently/quickly, it's incredibly easy to do. And the quality of what you'll be eating will be so much better.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Whole rolled Oats $1.49 a pound for breakfast

Rice and beans for lunch

should free up some cash for a decent dinner now and then

Everyone's suggestions have been pretty good so far

Old 07-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirimini View Post
I easily live on a budget of $150 (or even less) for groceries.

There are four main tips for staying within a (my) budget:
1. Avoid prepared/deli foods; for example, sliced chicken breast or ham might be 6.99/lb; you can by fresh chicken breasts or a pork loin for less than half that, cook a bunch of them at a time, and freeze them. Not only cheaper, but much healthier (lacking all the additives, etc.) Prepared soups, rice mixes, frozen dinners, etc. are also real budget busters - and generally pretty nasty anyway.

2. Related to above - ONLY buy things on sale - and there will always be items on sale. The savings can be absolutely astronomical. And if you stock up when things are on sale, you'll never have an empty pantry. This saves time, as well as money.

3. Get whatever "Bonus Card" the store offers; most (like Stop 'n Shop) have them. When I shop there - buying things only on sale, with the use of my card - I regularly save over $50/month.

4. Get into the habit of cooking "in bulk" (and freezing, as mentioned above), so that you don't have to buy lunch. Bring leftovers from the night before; it will easily save you over $40/week.

And get to know which places have the best prices for the specific items you want. As another poster noted above, Garden Gourmet regularly has lower produce prices than many grocery stores (although Stop 'n Shop, across the street, often has produce items on sale that match or beat their prices; full price, however, Stop 'n Shop is much more expensive). Fairway in Harlem also has great prices on meat, if you can buy a family pack - and the quality is generally excellent. But again, watch for sales; if you just look at what's on special, you can almost always get beef, chicken, or pork at half the regular price (and I don't mean because it's old or otherwise lesser quality, it's just that it's a weekly special).

Once you get into the habit of having a full fridge/pantry, and know how to cook things efficiently/quickly, it's incredibly easy to do. And the quality of what you'll be eating will be so much better.

Wow. $150? Fantastic.

Brilliant tips. I think these tips will help me even now in Madison, as I continue to figure out ways to save for my big move.

Much thanks.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Whole rolled Oats $1.49 a pound for breakfast

Rice and beans for lunch

should free up some cash for a decent dinner now and then

Everyone's suggestions have been pretty good so far
Nice tips. Thank you.

Yes, I am impressed with this thread, too. Great tips all around--helping me to re-evaluate my grocery budget in NYC and in Madison, while I am still here in Madison preparing for my return to NYC these last five weeks.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,312 times
Personally, I don't think it would be very easy to stay below $400/month for groceries in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City