U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,439 times

Advertisements

Woody Allen seems to make most of his films in NY, so has anyone actually ever witnessed him and his team film a movie on the streets? If so, say what year and what film it was.

Also, has anyone ever seen Woody just walking around NY? I've watched about 10 of his movies so far (all of them have been great), and I get the feeling his loves NY (I'm in Florida but one day I'm going to tour all the US states as it's something I've always wanted to do). Anyhow, please reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:44 AM

982 posts, read 3,843,444 times
Unfortunately, your post is about 10 years too late. I think most New Yorkers have soured on Allen after the ugliness of his separation with Mia Farrow and subsequent relationship with his stepdaughter/wife Soon Yi.

Ronan Seamus Farrow Farrow and Allen's biological son, said of Allen:
Quote:
"He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression. I cannot see him. I cannot have a relationship with my father and be morally consistent...I lived with all these adopted children, so they are my family. To say Soon-Yi was not my sister is an insult to all adopted children."
The legal battle with his former friend and producer Jean Doumanian was also quite bizarre.
He also hasn't made a movie in NY since what? Bullets over Broadway?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 AM

624 posts, read 1,285,718 times
Yes, and yes. I've seen him several times just walking around, and did see him filming once but don't remember when or what film it was.

You have to understand -- in NYC, we see films and TV shows being shot here, and famous people walking around, all the time! It's different from LA because they're actually doing stuff, shopping, dining, and taking the subways with the rest of us mere mortals. I've sat next to Julia Stiles at a play, across from Julianna Margulies on the 6 train, walked past Jesse Martin downtown, chatted with Bill Murray, brunched next to John Cleese, and been stuck in traffic with Queen Latifah in the car next to me (she was smoking a cigarette, btw!). I've passed Woody Allen on the street several times. When I moved into my building in the 80's (a simple five-story walk-up, not even a doorman building) Paul Reiser lived downstairs and I used to say hello to him every day. he was holding onto his apartment while his career was getting rolling. I remember seeing Tracy Pollan, Kevin Bacon, Bernadette Peters, Barbara Feldon, and Sarah Michelle Gellar strolling about within a few blocks of where I live. Abe Vigoda lives near me and I see him all the time on 2nd Avenue.

I could write a book about all my chance encounters with famous actors - but who cares? They're just people with a job that gives them more exposure (and well, yes, more money) than most of us. And most actors appreciate NYC because most people let them be and don't bother them.

As for the comment made by modsquad91 saying, "I think most New Yorkers have soured on Allen . . ." that's simply not true. Lots of New Yorkers don't care about that anymore, and many people have long remained supportive of Woody. Mia Farrow seems mentally ill to me.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
As for the comment made by modsquad91
That's 81 citychik.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:08 PM

Citychik, you might consider the fact that no one has really responded to this thread. No one really cares about Allen anymore or the only people who ever respond to this blog are from Queens or worse, out of town.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,451,628 times
I saw part of the staging of a Mid Summer's Night Sex Comedy...if that's the correct name. They built a staged victorian house on the Rockefeller Estate in Tarrytown, NY, and it was near the trails where I rode my horse. I didn't see the filming though. And, as has been mentioned before...Woody Allen may be brilliant and funny, but as an adoptee, his marrying his adopted daughter was not acceptable in my opinion.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:45 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
Sorry, but I disagree that most people have soured on Woody Allen due to his private life, especially considering that, compared to a couple of people in the headlines today, he did nothing illegal. However, it's possible that his best movies are behind him.

Just wanted to say that in NYC you rarely see famous people walking down the street, as presumably they can afford taxis - and W.A. is famously private. As to his filming, although he has used a lot of NYC locations, thinking back, few of them are just in the middle of a street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City