Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
That's some relief actually. At least she is helping some of the blacks around here. Maybe I should go there for the next giveaway! Heck, I'm out of work.

Go for it.

I mean, a lot of these organizations and whatnot are aimed at the Mexicans but it's not like they'll turn you away. They actually just opened a new Victory charter school down the block from me on Sharpe Ave. They named it New World Prep. and stated that there would be an emphasis placed on English. Who does that sound like they're angling to assist? Yet go by it and it's almost all black kids, presumably because that's who signed up and they can't exactly tell them no. At the end of the day, whether they ever realize it or not, the Mexicans moving in alongside them may be the best thing that ever happened to the African-Americans of Port Richmond. There's way more organizations helping out the poor here these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Go for it.

I mean, a lot of these organizations and whatnot are aimed at the Mexicans but it's not like they'll turn you away. They actually just opened a new Victory charter school down the block from me on Sharpe Ave. They named it New World Prep. and stated that there would be an emphasis placed on English. Who does that sound like they're angling to assist? Yet go by it and it's almost all black kids, presumably because that's who signed up and they can't exactly tell them no. At the end of the day, whether they ever realize it or not, the Mexicans moving in alongside them may be the best thing that ever happened to the African-Americans of Port Richmond. There's way more organizations helping out the poor here these days.
But people aren't angry about Mexicans, per se. It's the illegals and criminal element that have invaded the area.

When I was a kid in the early 70s, no one was ever afraid to walk 'The Avenue' even though it was poor and getting a bit run down. My friends and I weren't old enough to travel to the Mall on our own, so this was our Saturday afternoon. It was great! We would start either at Post or Castletown Ave, depending on what shops we wanted to hit. We'd get a 45 at the record shop, get flip flops at CH Martins (is that still there?), get pizza at the pizza parlor, window shop, and then end at Woolworth's where we would buy a toy - if we had the money, which was rare - or have a strawberry ice cream soda at the soda fountain.

Great memories!

Can't do that now. My brother gets ticked if he finds out that Mom and I stop at the dollar store or to Nate's for Dad's work clothes. Most of the crime is not reported in the papers, but he's a paramedic and knows so many cops that he hears everything that goes on there. Nasty, nasty sh&t! So, now we never go.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Oh, and PRer - how did you fare with the tornado???!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
But people aren't angry about Mexicans, per se. It's the illegals and criminal element that have invaded the area.

When I was a kid in the early 70s, no one was ever afraid to walk 'The Avenue' even though it was poor and getting a bit run down. My friends and I weren't old enough to travel to the Mall on our own, so this was our Saturday afternoon. It was great! We would start either at Post or Castletown Ave, depending on what shops we wanted to hit. We'd get a 45 at the record shop, get flip flops at CH Martins (is that still there?), get pizza at the pizza parlor, window shop, and then end at Woolworth's where we would buy a toy - if we had the money, which was rare - or have a strawberry ice cream soda at the soda fountain.

Great memories!

Can't do that now. My brother gets ticked if he finds out that Mom and I stop at the dollar store or to Nate's for Dad's work clothes. Most of the crime is not reported in the papers, but he's a paramedic and knows so many cops that he hears everything that goes on there. Nasty, nasty sh&t! So, now we never go.

The Avenue is... ehh. I mean, it's not exactly picturesque, but I never remember it being so. The Mexicans who frequent it are so so harmless though (for the most part). The vast majority of them are women, children and middle-aged men who mind their own business, get out of your way when you pass them on the sidewalk and will hardly even look at you in the process. I mean, sure there's exceptions but I remember very few instances in my 21 years here where I felt any degree of threatened (or like they were attempting to threaten me in some way) by a Mexican out here. I absolutely believe there's bad-natured Mexicans running around but they're not nearly as omnipresent as some people seem to think they are. Perhaps they stay confined to certain sideblocks? I honestly don't know. But I know I've never met a black or Puerto Rican person who took a Mexican serious in that sort of way. Most people I know just see them as kind of part of the furniture. You go to the Ave. or many of its surrounding blocks and you see Mexicans - that's just life out here. The black gangs are a way bigger threat to anybody's safety but even they watch themselves on the Ave. because of all the undercover cops that typically drive up and down the strip (I know this for a fact). You shouldn't be deterred from shopping on the Ave. though if you have some kind of reason to go there (just try not to wander too far from the Ave., though even then in all liklihood you'll be OK). During the day it's usually really busy and there's always a police presence there (even before this whole "hate crime" epidemic). A lot of new shops have opened and yes, C.H. Martin is still there (that store is a significant part of my childhood as well btw, lol). I ain't gonna tell you that Port Richmond gets an unfair bad rap or anything like that because yes, there's a high level of crime and yes, I agree a lot of crimes don't get reported to the police or to the newspapers but no area is as bad as people on the outside make them out to be. I can just about 100% guarantee that if you come to Port Richmond Ave. in the daytime you'll have an incident-free trip. The busy strips are the safest places to be in any neighborhood. It's the desolate sideblocks that you should be suspicious of. The question is, is there any reason (stores or otherwise) for you to come back to the Ave.?

And yeah, the tornado was kind of crazy. I, personally, escaped damage-free (unlike the similar storm we had in the summer of 2007) but I took a walk around the area afterwards and there were a lot of roped off blocks and a lot of emergency vehicles darting all around. How'd you fare?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:51 PM

OK here, PS 19 area, but I haven't really walked around. I do see a severely damaged tree in a neigbor's yard. Unbelievable how bad it was!

Well, you're only 21. My Mom grew up here and THE avenue was the place to be in the 50s. It started to decline a bit in the early 70s, and then the mall was built and killed it. It was still safe for kids though, so that's were we went!

Can't really think of a reason to shop there anymore, although I do most of mine online now, or shop in the city when I'm there.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
OK here, PS 19 area, but I haven't really walked around. I do see a severely damaged tree in a neigbor's yard. Unbelievable how bad it was!

Well, you're only 21. My Mom grew up here and THE avenue was the place to be in the 50s. It started to decline a bit in the early 70s, and then the mall was built and killed it. It was still safe for kids though, so that's were we went!

Can't really think of a reason to shop there anymore, although I do most of mine online now, or shop in the city when I'm there.

Yeah, it has to be the most violent 10-15 minute storm in the history of NYC, lol.

And yeah, tons of people have told me about Port Richmond Avenue's heyday. Guess that's just how things go though, somewhere has to decline when another area prospers, it just happened to be here. It's sad but that's just kind of the cycle of retail I suppose.

And yeah, I never understood what the Ave. had to offer to anybody but locals. I mean, there was Tirone's shoes, which I hear had kind of a monopoly on the Catholic school uniform shoes, but that closed down a year or so ago. Besides that and a few furniture stores it's mostly just shops that cater to blacks and hispanics. Those of course draw people from other black and hispanic communities on the Island but outside of those areas, I never saw a reason why the Ave. would be enticing to anyone else in the borough no matter how much the papers and such tell you you should stop by and spend your money.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,883 times
The 'bias' attacks in Port Richmond have NOT been prosecuted as such, yet there are several 'community leaders' who continue to call them such. This will bring funding to the neighborhood- so some folks think its a necessary evil. More security cameras and programs for the youth. I think we need these programs and more camera would make the entire community safer.

However, the media frenzy and the lack of facts to substantiate any of the attacks as bias needs to be exposed. The latest incident proved to be a drug deal that went bad, which happened to involve a illegal Latino immigrant and a group of American Hispanic and black youth.

The young black and Latino Americans in the neighborhood whom are law abiding are being illegally frisked at Veteran's Park or stopped for any reason. The NYPD has publicly stated that all the assailants that have been caught so far have prior records, so maybe they should be working with Probation to be pro-active. Where is the NAACP, City Officials and ACLU on this issue?

Everyone, young or old, illegal or legal residents, should be protected by the police and our laws, but lets be real....

Old 10-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRpositive View Post
The young black and Latino Americans in the neighborhood whom are law abiding are being illegally frisked at Veteran's Park or stopped for any reason.

They've been doing that stop and frisk stuff since waaaay before this new police presence. In fact, this marked police presence has led to a decrease in undercover detectives and THOSE are the ones who REALLY harass people. I can't tell you how many times I've been stopped in the last couple years (actually I can, it's been like 25 or so) all within 6 blocks of my house. Alas I've yet to be stopped since they rolled these cops out here 3 months ago.

In fact, the only police interaction I've had since they've been out here was a patrol car from Manhattan stopping me on Richmond Terrace and asking me what's REALLY going on out here. He even asked "They're just robberies, right?" He also said he likes working Manhattan just to stare at the females and the funniest quote: "What's going on over on Harris Street (nearby Harrison Avenue)? The corner house, The gang house. The thing's got bullet holes in it! That's where everyone cops their s***, right???" lolol

Then some other cop a little later standing on Port Richmond Ave. near Forest Ave. stopped me and my brother and goes "Excuse me, did you guys jump any Mexicans lately? I saw some in front a bodega a couple blocks down. Just go down there and wait a little while, they'll come back." lolol

Last edited by PortRichmonder; 10-16-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 10:23 AM

What really ticks me off about the local media is that they only report about what they consider 'attacks on poor, hard-working immigrants' and don't report the REAL crime. You never hear about the latin gangs, the brutal tortures and murders. Knowing police and people in both ERs I hear about horrors. The majority of the worst are caused by the illegals and mostly the Mexican illegals. These cases are NEVER in the paper.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:52 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,724 times
Quote:
What really ticks me off about the local media is that they only report about what they consider 'attacks on poor, hard-working immigrants' and don't report the REAL crime. You never hear about the latin gangs, the brutal tortures and murders. Knowing police and people in both ERs I hear about horrors. The majority of the worst are caused by the illegals and mostly the Mexican illegals. These cases are NEVER in the paper.
I will bet my left foot most crimes in Port Richmond are committed by LEGAL black americans than Mexican illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City