U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 03:58 PM

18 posts, read 66,083 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm starting a job in W. Nyack (Rockland County) in the near future and trying to figure out where to live. After visiting White Plains, Tarrytown and Nyack, I'm revisiting the idea of staying in the city with a car and making the commute.

The logical place to live if I stayed in NYC would be in the Washington Heights area, so I could just hop over the GW Bridge and onto the Palisades Parkway. Rents seem extremely reasonable, and I've heard that the neighborhood isn't too bad.

BUT... the remaining question is: Where can one park their car on a daily basis? Is street parking easy to come by (by Manhattan standards)? Is it possible to rent a spot in a lot? How much would that cost? I've search high and low for information on the Internet and have found nothing.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,673,300 times
Hi, I live in WH and don't have a car, but felt bad about you not having any replies. I have heard from friends that it is quite easy (by Manhattan standards) to park up here. However, a friend's car was stolen last year and I personally saw an entire street of bashed-in car windows while I was walking around the neighborhood. And I live in the "good" part of Washington Heights north of 181 and near the Hudson.

I love the neighborhood and still recommend it, but I would park my car on the streets with caution.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM

194 posts, read 534,095 times
Parts of Washington Heights are extremely nice, and other parts are really pretty shady - so you'll have to look closely. The nicest section is a part called "Hudson Heights" (an appellation coined by the real estate brokers, of course), but also the most expensive. If you want to move a bit further from the GWB, you might consider Inwood, where apartments are a bit cheaper.

Parking on the street in either area on a regular basis will make you want to scream (on a regular basis). Most streets have alternate side parking, and people literally get in their cars and sit there for an hour or so, double parking on the "wrong" side, and then moving over to the "right" side at the very second it's allowed. Coming home in the evening, it's not impossible (in fact, probable) that it could take you anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour (or longer) to find a spot, unless god is smiling on you at that moment. And vandalism, while not a daily occurance, does happen.

You could look at this site for rates on garages: New York City Parking Garage Rates - Compare Daily/Monthly - Manhattan
I have a feeling the rates listed are a little lower than what would actually be charged, but it's just a feeling.

Don't forget that, unless you are commuting over the GWB during off-peak hours, the toll is $8.00, daily. There might be monthly discounts, but I don't know of any off hand.

Have you considered Riverdale? It's above both WaHi and Inwood, and you could take the Tappan Zee bridge over (which I think has a lower toll). I don't know if you're considering buying or renting, but several co-op buildings in Riverdale have garages in the building, so that might be a consideration. I'm not sure about rentals, but it might be possible. You'll definitely get more for your money in Riverdale than either of the other two locations, and you might luck out and get an amazing view of the Hudson River.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 AM

747 posts, read 2,209,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirimini View Post
Parking on the street in either area on a regular basis will make you want to scream (on a regular basis). Most streets have alternate side parking, and people literally get in their cars and sit there for an hour or so, double parking on the "wrong" side, and then moving over to the "right" side at the very second it's allowed.
:facepalm:

The OP will be driving off every morning, so there is no need to spend time looking for the 'right' alternate side - that is only for people who are looking to keep their parked all day.

Quote:
Coming home in the evening, it's not impossible (in fact, probable) that it could take you anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour (or longer) to find a spot, unless god is smiling on you at that moment.
Again, since the OP is driving off in the am, there's no need to 'search' for the right spot. He/she can practically park anywhere at night, knowing the next day's parking regulations are practically irrelevant

Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM

18 posts, read 66,083 times
Thanks for the responses. Constanza is right that opposite-side won't typically be an issue for me (so long as street cleaning isn't before, say, 8:30 a.m.). I will also check out Riverdale.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:59 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,374,308 times
I used to live in Inwood with a car. Parking was horrible, especially in the summer. I drove every day, so didn't have to find the "right" spot. I usually had to circle for an extended period of time to find any spot. Very frustrating. I'd have to say that Dirimini was on the money about parking in Washington Heights. Our vet was over there and it seemed no better, if not worse than Inwood. Of course the later you come home, the harder it will be to find a spot. My car was broken into a couple of times. You have to expect that it will happen at some point.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:54 PM

194 posts, read 534,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
:facepalm:

The OP will be driving off every morning, so there is no need to spend time looking for the 'right' alternate side - that is only for people who are looking to keep their parked all day.

Again, since the OP is driving off in the am, there's no need to 'search' for the right spot. He/she can practically park anywhere at night, knowing the next day's parking regulations are practically irrelevant
Some of the alternate-side parking regulations start at 9AM; the OP didn't say when s/he left in the morning, so my response took into consideration that some people do, in fact, leave after 9AM.

Further, I have no idea what you mean by "practically park anywhere at night." It seems to me you have never tried to find a spot in either Inwood or Washington Heights, in the evening, on a regular basis.

Is there really any need for "::facepalm::"? It never ceases to amaze me how rude some people can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or