U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM

8,353 posts, read 7,316,070 times
I know a black guy taht is a president of a coop board in midtown Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM

811 posts, read 1,053,421 times
I can name two. One lives in Tribeca. The other lives in Riverdale.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM

6,509 posts, read 11,038,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Here's an exercise. Think about the wealthiest black person you know personally (not a star or an athlete) who lives in NYC. Where do they live? I suspect we'll get a range of answers. Remember that everyone who has money doesn't necessarily "live large."

The wealthiest black person I know in NYC lives in __Sheepshead Bay__.
I think I might have mentioned this way earlier in this thread but I'll mention it again now that this silly thread has been revived. One of my doctors(cardiologist) is black and very rich.He is a big poo bah in the international medical world.Has patents on medical devices too.He lives on Beekman Place.

I think there are not many wealthy predominantly black neighborhoods in NYC because those people don't feel the need for it.They want to ( and do) live where all the other very rich people do on 5th Ave,Park Ave,Sutton Place, Beekman Place,Riverside Drive or Central Park West.
Once you get past a certain point on the economic scale the rich thing supersedes the black(or irish,italian or whatever)thing.You go and live with the rich people.

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-25-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,270 times
I am going to buy a house in St.Albans. Anybody knows about the area? What is the crime rate there?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,948,283 times
Now that this topic is resurrected, THIS Interactive Map shows the Racial Demographics and Median Household Income of every area in America;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

I was personally surprised about how many neighborhoods there were scattered around the NYC metro area that had High incomes+Black majorities, especially out on Long Island.

(The map also shows poverty rates, educational attainment, foreign-born populations, wealthy-people percentages, same sex couples and much more).

Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 AM

344 posts, read 483,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Most black people that do better for themselves end up leaving NYC. Which is sort of bad in a way. Same thing with Hispanics. It would be good for the black community in the NYC area if there were neighborhoods like the ones you mentioned, but there really aren't.

There are spots here and there throughout the city that historically have been known for having upper class black people, but not really whole neighborhoods.

There is one neighborhood either in queens or LI I've heard people mention that is similar to what you described. I can't remember the name though.
I agree but wealthy blacks and latinos in ny live in white neighborhoods around manhatta. NY isn't like DC, 99% black. Ny is more about money and less about race.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:53 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,530,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrazier0912 View Post
Atlanta is not what I want.

It's either New York City or Los Angeles for me.
you're trying to get the best of both worlds. it is either an integrated wealthy area, or no wealthy area at all, is what they're saying on this board. what is wrong with an integrated wealthy area? doesn't necessarily make you a pioneer in NYC.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 AM

2,968 posts, read 3,559,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles K View Post
I am going to buy a house in St.Albans. Anybody knows about the area? What is the crime rate there?
It's ghetto in some parts and middle class in others. I personally think Cambria Heights, Laurelton, and Rosedale are much better choices.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:48 AM

8,353 posts, read 7,316,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrokengirl View Post
There are not ANY wealthy black neighborhoods in NY. This is not the damn Cosby show!!! Please, do us a favor and stay above 110th street...

Thanks in advance...
Lol thats f^*»ed up?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:34 AM

11,050 posts, read 10,322,041 times
Terrific Census link, Long Island Person.

Original Question: Are there any wealthy Black neighborhoods in NYC? NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City