U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 PM

11 posts, read 49,792 times

Advertisements

IMHO, the best BK/Queens/LI neighborhoods for upwardly mobile blacks (in no particular order) would be Fort Greene/Clinton Hill (say what you want about white hipsters, plenty of BUPPIES -- yeah, black yuppies -- live in Clinton Hill/Ft Greene) for Brooklyn; Laurelton, Rosedale, Queens Village, Cambria Heights for Queens; and Hempstead (yes, parts are ghetto, however other parts are totally not), Baldwin and Freeport areas (lots of upper-middle class blacks here who have expensive homes send their kids to private school) for LI.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 AM

2,224 posts, read 4,897,119 times
I don't believe that NY has an equivalent -- I have been searching for it myself and have not found it yet. The SE Queens neighborhoods that many of you have listed (Laurelton, St. Albans, Cambria Heights, Springfield Gardens) are more solidly working/middle class neighborhoods (I know, I grew up there). Blacks, as you have described, tend to NOT live in the five boros, especially if they have children. Many I know are in NJ, and Westchester. There was a huge exodus of the black professional class in the '80s-90s. Many left (understandably) because the crack epidemic destroyed our once nice neighborhoods. Jamaica Estates is a mixed neighborhood -- white north of the Grand Central Parkway and asian south of the parkway. Blacks tend to live in the apartments close to Hillside Avenue.
The following neighborhoods are mixed but I think have more of a concentration of the type of black people you're looking for than any neighborhood in NYC:
New Jersey: West Orange, Maplewood, (some parts of Plainfield), Teaneck, Hackensack, Montclair
New York: New Rochelle, White Plains zip code 10607
Connecticut: Norwalk

Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 PM

1,147 posts, read 3,024,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Most black people that do better for themselves end up leaving NYC. Which is sort of bad in a way. Same thing with Hispanics. It would be good for the black community in the NYC area if there were neighborhoods like the ones you mentioned, but there really aren't.
This is very true. Ironically -- from my experience -- many blacks & hispanics who are considered upper middle-class or wealthy leave NYC due to lack of neighborhoods like the one's the OP mentioned in DC (in addition to living costs of course). As mentioned most areas of SE Queens (Cambria Heights - St. Albans - Springfield Gardens - Rosedale - Addisleigh Park etc.) are over 55% black and are considered middle class to upper-middle class however that's where the similarities end. Unfortunately many of the public schools and amenities in the areas are not that great.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 PM

16,231 posts, read 20,270,893 times
Theres only a couple of high income earning black niegborhoods in NYC. The ones that I know of are Cambria hiehgts queens which is probably the hieghest earning black niegborhood in this country and was once the home of AL Roker, Thanks for the info channel 13. Also in queens is St Albans. Up in the Bronx, there is the wakefield and williams bridge section which majority of the property owners are African American or Jamaican. Also in the Bronx Coop City is predominatly African American. The niegborhoods I mentioned above are not as popular as Harlem, Crown hieghts or Bed Stuy. Most of the cities African American residents, dwell in the public housing system.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 26,272 times
I can't think of a Wealthy predominantly Black community out here in NY to be completly honest with you!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 PM

982 posts, read 2,942,469 times
I don't think there are any TRULY wealthy predominantly Black neighborhoods here, I can only think of a few nationwide, a few in the DC/Maryland area, some of Atlanta's burbs, LA's Baldwin Hills, and Country Club Hills, IL outside of Chicago but its changing fast and won't be for much longer. Of course, there is a lot that I may not know of.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:57 PM

8,895 posts, read 21,633,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
This is very true. Ironically -- from my experience -- many blacks & hispanics who are considered upper middle-class or wealthy leave NYC due to lack of neighborhoods like the one's the OP mentioned in DC .....
Really? One of my doctors happens to be black and he lives on Beekman Place with a lot of other rich people.I have heard that there are some rich black folks living on 5th Ave and Park Avenue too.Bet there's even some on Riverside Drive . Why do people feel that NY is lacking because it doesn't have a requisite number of upper middle class black ghettos ? Maybe NY is a few steps ahead of those other places(DC,Atlanta,etc) instead of a few steps behind.Rich people want to live in rich peoples ghettos with other rich people.In NY they can do that .In Atlanta they probably can't.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 22,756 times
There is an area in St. Albans...I forget the name of this small area...between about 170 and 185th streets around Linden Boulevard where the houses are easily 750K+ predominantly filled with upper-middle and upper class blacks.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM

61 posts, read 164,841 times
Yes, Laurelton, Rosedale, Cambria Heights, St Albans, Queens Village, and Hollis all in Queens.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 PM

40,051 posts, read 31,811,195 times
Isn't Strivers Row in Harlem pretty well-to-do? Although I guess it's pretty small as communities go. Still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City