Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,806 times

Advertisements

Just curious.

I live out West but have been visiting often to work on projects, a week here and there. If I want to have a drink in my hotel room, I can pay the crazy hotel room/lobby bar rates or grab something from a nearby specialty liquor/wine store, then hit a grocer to look for mixers. The distances are never far but certain neighborhood places have premium prices, and local stores sometimes don't have things like tonic water.

Thus I was wondering if locals hit the nearest joints or if you venture out to certain stores and stock up on adult bevs?

I live in a state where they sell all manner of bevs in the grocery store... beer, wine, and liquors, from high end whiskey to $10 bottles used for mixers. As such, I'm used to grabbing some pork chops and a bottle of gin + tonic water in the cart. Others go to Costco, BevMo and other places for bevs if really picky. But I realize NYC is a challenging place to have huge bev stores, given the premium on real estate.

Regardless, I was simply curious if there are discount/bulk options for local buyers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
I don't buy much, but when I do; beer in Whole Foods (Bowery location is amazing) and another warehouse type place closeby on Chrystie that I haven't been to in a while called New Beer Distributors.

Everything else, Warehouse Wines and Sprits on Broadway near 8th Street. I had to look up the name since I really only knew it by site (until a few minutes ago). I'm not an expert, but I would say that it's a pretty impressive store.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 PM

65 posts, read 186,606 times
"I live in a state where they sell all manner of bevs in the grocery store... beer, wine, and liquors, from high end whiskey to $10 bottles used for mixers."

That is one of many reasons I love Arizona. My folks just retired there and I visit often.
If you are into wine, and are in the area, Trader Joe's has a very decent wine shop next to the main store on E 14 St, by 3rd Avenue.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
I don't know about bulk, but as cochi loco said, the Trader Joe's wine shop is the best. For spirits, Astor Wine & Spirits is really great - their wine selection isn't shabby either.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I don't buy much, but when I do; beer in Whole Foods (Bowery location is amazing) and another warehouse type place closeby on Chrystie that I haven't been to in a while called New Beer Distributors.

Everything else, Warehouse Wines and Sprits on Broadway near 8th Street. I had to look up the name since I really only knew it by site (until a few minutes ago). I'm not an expert, but I would say that it's a pretty impressive store.
Second the warehouse in the village. If you have a car 207 and broadway has a warehouse spot.

133rd and Lenox has a great spot with all types and sizes of cheap booze and great box wine (lol)

Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 PM

244 posts, read 664,732 times
Costco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City