U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 11:05 PM

6,863 posts, read 7,719,815 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been to one?

How is the atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:56 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,470,544 times
Been to hundreds of both, in both the old stadiums and the new ones. I love going, but I'm finding the energy from the stands to be something less than it was in the old places. For instance, I was at game six last season when the Yankees won the World Series. The place was going crazy, but it still didn't feel anything like it used to feel across the street.

Going to see either team, you'll be in a brand new stadium with a lot of interesting things to see. The Mets do more kid friendly things like a dunk tank, mini Citi Field for the kids to hit off a tee, and of course Mr. Met. They do have a new Hall of Fame which I have not seen. The Yankees have more adult-oriented things to see like the new Monument Park and a museum (with a VERY long line), although the kids might enjoy them too. When I say the line for the museum is long, it snakes down a couple of ramps that are also used for pedestrian traffic climbing the levels of the stadium. That's a lot of people on a long line that doesn't seem to move.

Yankee Stadium is not only bigger, but also has a lot less empty seats right now. Citi Field is smaller and generally not as loud, but you'll see at least a few attempts to start a wave there; some more "successful" than others, depending on your opinion of that. They're two very different experiences. I would recommend that you try them both.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 AM

2,005 posts, read 4,273,552 times
Default no more clip joints

Both places are double clip joints. What I mean by double clip joints it is because first we get clipped on our taxes to build the stadium then we are ripped on ticket prices.

I have been to Shea dozens of times from the early 80's to the early 00's. When I first started Torre was the manager and it was $3.50 to go to a day game. It was fun then with a lively crowd doing the wave and really into the game.

When the prices took off along with the players salaries I dropped out. The players change teams too much. They are just mercenaries that don't care about you. The stadiums provide a synthetic, manufactured experience. Baseball is not a real sport but a business that rips off the patrons and soaks up tax money that should go to people that need it.

If you want a real New York sports experience you can have one for free. Go to the
West 4th handball courts where dozens line up everyday to play Handball; there is a real cast of characters there. Or try the Handball courts down by Coney Island. The one-wall national championship will be held there soon.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
I have been to Shea dozens of times from the early 80's to the early 00's. When I first started Torre was the manager and it was $3.50 to go to a day game. It was fun then with a lively crowd doing the wave and really into the game.
If you know where to look, there are 100% legal ways to get Mets tickets today for not a whole heck of a lot more than that in 2010 dollars. Not so much with Yankee tickets, but for the Mets it's still a ticket buyer's market. I'm not talking about the best seats, but it will get you in the stadium.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 AM

6,863 posts, read 7,719,815 times
Quote:
Both places are double clip joints. What I mean by double clip joints it is because first we get clipped on our taxes to build the stadium then we are ripped on ticket prices.

When the prices took off along with the players salaries I dropped out. The players change teams too much. They are just mercenaries that don't care about you. The stadiums provide a synthetic, manufactured experience. Baseball is not a real sport but a business that rips off the patrons and soaks up tax money that should go to people that need it.

If you want a real New York sports experience you can have one for free. Go to the
West 4th handball courts where dozens line up everyday to play Handball; there is a real cast of characters there. Or try the Handball courts down by Coney Island. The one-wall national championship will be held there soon.

lol

All sports are businesses. Sports are entertainment.

People just love watching sports. That's all that matters.

I don't want to derail the thread though.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM

1,810 posts, read 6,201,619 times
Quote:

In the early 80's the Mets were horrible,haha,what lively crowd? they used to average like 6k fans a game...only time they sold out was for a promotional/giveaway game like fireworks night,banner day,etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
In the early 80's the Mets were horrible,haha,what lively crowd? they used to average like 6k fans a game...
Yup. I know this isn't the baseball forum, but remember what Keith Hernandez did when he found out he was being traded to the Mets? He called his accountant and asked if he had enough money to retire. When he was told no, he went to New York, and the rest is history... But those were some BAD teams in the late 70s and early 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City