U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 PM

11 posts, read 31,864 times

Advertisements

i have always lived in queens, ny except for the 4 yrs i did in the military. i visited tx a descent amount of times. dont do it! lol, for the rich or poor. thats it. but if you deciede on making your move i suggest just renting a room out. goodluck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,674,968 times
When I first moved to NY, I didn't have a job and I'm a big risk-taker, but honestly, I wouldn't do the same thing now. Unemployment is through the roof and I have friends who were laid-off/quit jobs right before the crash, they are still looking for work and they don't work in finance.

I'm not a doom and gloom type and I often reply that folks can make it here for a lot less than what forum members post, but things are incredibly tight right now.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 PM

55 posts, read 124,101 times
Come for the drama and leave for the peace of mind.
Time will tell.
You can rent a room in an apartment.
I would trade with you, but I am getting out on the express, hopefully before the year is out.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,225,469 times
As someone who just moved from Texas to NYC, my advice would be don't do it unless you have a specific reason for wanting to be here. You need to have something to push you through the negatives, the cost of living, the noise, the crowds, etc. If you want to move here just for the experience, now's not a good time. Look elsewhere or stay where you are. But if you must, bring money. Gobs of it. You'll need it just to get established in the city. You'll find your savings dwindling quickly. Definitely come here only if you have a job in hand.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 AM

17 posts, read 28,649 times
I am sorry I haven't replied.

To answer your questions, besides the unemployment I have a savings account, besides I am planning to sell my car if I were to stay in NY. I have experienced living in a REALLY expensive place. I lived in London on a crappy but REALLY crappy salary for a couple of months. Still, I am still debating on moving taking into account what all of you said.

In reality the reason why I want to move is because I am just tired of living in the same city for the last 10 years. I will be laid off by December and I have always liked NY. I know a guy that have offered to let me stay for a couple of weeks in his apartment but don't know if that would be enough. I have been applying for jobs out of this city but I haven't had any luck because my address is not local and the economy sucks right now.

Where I live is a REALLY cheap city in TX but it is also REALLY boring. I have family in San Diego, that's also another option. Hopefully a job will come before the year ends and I will not have to move to another city unemployed.

It just sucks how the economy is right now, more when you know you are going to get axed in 5 months. :P

Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,225,469 times
It will take a minimum $6-7K just to move here, probably $10K if you don't have a job lined up. Not sure who will rent to you without one, but maybe someone will if you pay upfront. Still, I'd advise you to stay put and wait out this so-called "recovery" because I ain't seeing any signs of it. NYC will still be here in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City