U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 AM

17 posts, read 28,629 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all the threads about moving to NYC. I am currently employed in Texas but after December I will not. I will have unemployment that will provide me with enough income to afford rent for 6 months. Moreover, I have savings and plan to sell my car.

I have a business degree and experience of 3 years; I am tired of this city, living in Texas, and want to experience NYC and live there for a while. I am in my late 20's btw.

Any advice will be VERY helpful: apartments, job search, prices, etc. I'd like to hear the stories of those that pretty packed their bags and headed north looking for something new and exciting, those that are already settled in NYC to give me an idea of what to expect.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,850,725 times
How do you expect to pay rent and bills on unemployment?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 PM

447 posts, read 1,332,267 times
This city is not for an unemployed person
COL is out of control and for a large amount of cash you will get a closet-sized apartment. People come here expecting a sex and the city lifestyle but end up with a Boyz n the hood lifestyle.
This city is structured for the elite rich or the dirt poor. Not much in between. Move to a place that has low costs and high quality of living. I hear Phoenix ranks high in that department.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,782,843 times
I would stay in Texas where it's a lot cheaper. Trust me, trying to survive in NYC w/ just unemployment insurance is not a good move.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
Planning on having your unemployment checks sent to your NY address ? From Texas ?
Good luck with that.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 AM

10,601 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Planning on having your unemployment checks sent to your NY address ? From Texas ?
Good luck with that.
I was curious so I googled this.

The Unemployment dept in Texas says in their FAQ:

Can I change my address or phone number?
Yes. The address must be in the United States or Canada. We suggest that you use the U.S. Postal Service Standardized Address if offered to promote fast mail delivery.

Texas Workforce Commission - Unemployment Benefits Services

Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Your unemployment can follow you wherever you go- but getting an apartment will require a proof of steady income. Unemployment is not that.

Visit, find a job, then you have a chance to live here.

Best luck.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:13 PM
zdg

841 posts, read 1,655,105 times
Where in TX are you moving from? What part of NYC do you want to move to?

We moved from Houston to the UWS last May and we'll never leave; certainly never return to Texas.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 PM

939 posts, read 2,712,966 times
I moved from Texas last year but I'll recommend you start the job search immediately and be prepared to move here before your job officially ends in Texas if offered a position. The reason why, your chances will greatly increase if you're employed. Also, beware of the job recruiters, some are good but the majority are bs'ers. A big portion of available jobs are through job recruiters. If you come here unemployed, it will be a lot more difficult to get a job. I came here unemployed from Austin and it took me over 5 months to find one. My wife came here employed(worked from home, based in Texas) and immediately got interviews/offers.

Definitely sell your car, be prepared to pay state income taxes, and a NYC resident tax in addition to federal taxes. Also, the cost of apartments are at least 3 times more expensive here than most of Texas. Mentally prepare yourself for sticker shock and learn to budget. Money goes fast here.
Good Luck.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:45 AM

13 posts, read 39,076 times
This is not a place to move to without a sure thing...it can get scary. fast. And the other poster brought up a good point. You have to show proof of income, and prove that rent will not exceed 30 (sometimes even 20) percent of that income. The move-in fees and broker fees are outrageous. 1 month security, 1st and last month rent, and then (more often than not) a month's rate to the broker. This is in a decent place. 1500 a month will get you a nice place in Queens, Brooklyn, or Bronx, in a good neighborhood. It's over 2k/mo. in Manhattan. Much more depending on the hood.

You might be able to sublet from someone for a few months, and look for work.Craigslist can be a nightmare or a godsend. You decide. You will put down a security deposit, sign a lease for that period, and have a home-base from which you can look for work, and really scout out neighborhoods and apartments. Then, after a few months if you are really feeling it, you will know what you want, and what you can afford. This place is great, but it can eat you alive if you walk into town all starry-eyed. You need to have a plan, and one that is flexible. Getting caught up in an expensive lease, often a year is required, would really suck if you couldn't find work, or didn't like it here.
If you are loaded (6-figure income), then you will definitely like it. And you will be fine. You will rent a nice place, and live in a nice area, and eat nice food. Life will be nice. But the standard of living here can be incomprehensible until you have experienced it, and know how to navigate. If you are not well-off, you will have a harder (not impossible, just daunting) time finding nice housing, etc.
Don't let this stop you, just be prepared. Have a strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City