U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 AM

1,919 posts, read 4,807,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
why doesnt it bother you that you pay for SSI but its not a guarantee you'll get it?

To be honest, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Unless I die before a certain age I should receive my SSI. However, it's something that I'm not concern about because who can truly live on an SSI check. I have other retirement funds in my portfolio that are more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 AM

878 posts, read 2,492,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Does anyone know? I'd just like to know how much lazy people get from the American worker.

How much does each jobless individual get of my money each week from welfare?
This is too funny. I would assume the "lazy people" get less than half of a half a cent since welfare payments are not that large. Most likely you are probably giving more money to those "lazy corporations" or "lazy utility" companies.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,570,917 times
7th...my point is simply that..there is no difference between a family on weflare and a family on someother government subsidized assistance, but I suspect that when the article claimed "80% of residents are not on welfare" they specifically meant welfare, and not government assistance. Which is why I think it was simply a word game and slight of hand. Sure they are not on welfare, but who cares, they are on some other government assistance so the result is exactly the same, except that they can say "80% of residents are not on welfare."

I would like to know what percentage of residents is on some form of government assistance? That will tell you the actual state of the housing projects.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 PM

1,919 posts, read 4,807,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
This is too funny. I would assume the "lazy people" get less than half of a half a cent since welfare payments are not that large. Most likely you are probably giving more money to those "lazy corporations" or "lazy utility" companies.

Really? Then why do people look down upon people on the welfare payroll? Why do they chose to stay on it? I'm glad you pointed that out, I'll have to reevaluate my ignorance.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 1 day ago)

19,297 posts, read 32,757,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
To be honest, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Unless I die before a certain age I should receive my SSI. However, it's something that I'm not concern about because who can truly live on an SSI check. I have other retirement funds in my portfolio that are more important.
key word is you should receive it. not guaranteed to receive it when you reach that age.

The next great bailout: Fixing social security - Jul. 30, 2009

an excerpt from the article if you dont feel like reading:

Unlike the pigs feeding at Uncle Sam's trough, the people who qualify for Social Security old-age benefits -- the ones who'll benefit from the bailout -- have played by the rules and paid Social Security taxes for decades. It would be immoral to tell them, "Sorry, we have to trim your cost-of-living adjustment because we can't afford it," while expecting them to continue footing the bill for bailing out imprudent people and institutions.

its no secret. the government taps into the social security reserve from time to time. money that is supposed to be for our retirement.

so it bothers you that your tax paying dollars contribute toward assisting people with their lives, but it doesnt bother you that the government takes money of our your paycheck for social security, and its not a guarantee that you will get that money back. have you ever tried asking the government, "if I have a 401k, how come i still have to give you guys money for my own SSI?"

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
7th...my point is simply that..there is no difference between a family on weflare and a family on someother government subsidized assistance, but I suspect that when the article claimed "80% of residents are not on welfare" they specifically meant welfare, and not government assistance. Which is why I think it was simply a word game and slight of hand. Sure they are not on welfare, but who cares, they are on some other government assistance so the result is exactly the same, except that they can say "80% of residents are not on welfare."

I would like to know what percentage of residents is on some form of government assistance? That will tell you the actual state of the housing projects.
ok lets break this down.

NYC.gov - Shelters and Housing

That is the link to NYC Division of Health and Human Services. They cover everything from food stamps to housing. In one of the sublinks on that page, they say section 8 is covered by HPD (housing preservation & development), another city agency.

so outside of Health and Human Services, which basically covers any type of subsidy one could need (food and shelter), what other govt assistance really is there. maybe i'm taking your post out of context, but when you keep saying govt, i am taking it as you mean in federal or state, but from my research, the state does not provide assistance for individuals. there is no state welfare office (that serves NYC at least), and to my knowledge the only assistance that the feds give out to individuals are for natural disasters (FEMA), grants, or HUD-sponsored buildings for rent, which are not a part of NYCHA. so what other types of government assistance are you talking about? welfare is welfare.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Regarding government assistance, there are a plethora of programs. In order to put into context the "80% of residents are not on welfare", I would like to know how many are on:

Rent Subsidies like Work Advantage, HASA, Section 8, or any other government subsidy programs
Food Stamps/WIC Program
Disability/Workers Compensation, etc

I ask that because, as I stated before, 'welfare' is a very specific program which was revamped in the 90s...so although the statement "80% of residents are not on welfare" may be correct, these residents simply migrated to a host of other programs which are different than welfare but are essentially the same...residents on the government dole.

Maybe you and I are talking about two different things: The article leads the person to believe that 80% of residents are not on ANY public assistance and that as a result 80% of residents are at a minimum self-reliant and working class. However, I do not believe that to be the case, and I believe it is just a word game as they are simply on other government programs and still the same poor people (but not specifically on welfare). Those that are elderly, in my opinion, were formerly the poor on welfare, they just got older and now are classified as "senior citizens"....but again..same poor people just older. Disability is a farce and everyone qualifies for it....it is the new 'welfare.'

Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Regarding government assistance, there are a plethora of programs. In order to put into context the "80% of residents are not on welfare", I would like to know how many are on:

Rent Subsidies like Work Advantage, HASA, Section 8, or any other government subsidy programs
Food Stamps/WIC Program
Disability/Workers Compensation, etc

I ask that because, as I stated before, 'welfare' is a very specific program which was revamped in the 90s...so although the statement "80% of residents are not on welfare" may be correct, these residents simply migrated to a host of other programs which are different than welfare but are essentially the same...residents on the government dole.

Maybe you and I are talking about two different things: The article leads the person to believe that 80% of residents are not on ANY public assistance and that as a result 80% of residents are at a minimum self-reliant and working class. However, I do not believe that to be the case, and I believe it is just a word game as they are simply on other government programs and still the same poor people (but not specifically on welfare). Those that are elderly, in my opinion, were formerly the poor on welfare, they just got older and now are classified as "senior citizens"....but again..same poor people just older. Disability is a farce and everyone qualifies for it....it is the new 'welfare.'
ok now i understand what you're saying.

you basically want to know who gets help and who doesnt.

even though it is a handout no matter how you look at it, i wouldnt put Work Advantage or HASA in the same category as receiving food stamps....for Work Advantage you have to be previously homeless, and for HASA you have to be HIV positive. If you can fake either of the above to receive those benefits, you're probably intelligent enough to not need them.

Lets keep things in perspective...not a lot of a people live in the projects because thats their choice in today's times. even if you go through previous city-data posts, the majority of people who ask questions about housing are just looking for somewhere affordable until they can get a better job or graduate school. i havent seen anybody post an inquiry about NYCHA on here yet that had intentions of staying the rest of their lives there.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 PM

From what I can tell...there are too many people who live there generationally, and it's the same people doing the same thing..generation after generation...but that could be a product of the housing projects specifically by me. And I can say that's the case with great confidence because I personally know so many people in these housing projects, who knew my parents, and knew my grandparents. It's really sad...and the newbies that come in are as bad or worse off in many cases...so when I see an article alleging "80% of residents are not on welfare" I have to laugh..cuz they are just playing word games. They are the same poor people, just on a host of other programs.

As for those people on Work Advantage...all it takes is walking into a shelter and saying you are homeless..and now you are the city's problem and they will get you an apt one way or another..that doesn't take intelligence..just knowing that the city must provide you housing by law..and alot of people hustle the system because of that. HASA you can't fake..but those on HASA get subsidies ONLY if they qualify...just cuz you are HIV positive does not mean you qualify, although you must have HIV.

When we have a realistic tally of who is paying their own rent, and who isn't, only then will we know whether NYCHA has, or is moving towards, a working class population. As of now, I see no evidence of any change in NYCHA or the kind of people living there...although I sure hope to.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
From what I can tell...there are too many people who live there generationally, and it's the same people doing the same thing..generation after generation...but that could be a product of the housing projects specifically by me. And I can say that's the case with great confidence because I personally know so many people in these housing projects, who knew my parents, and knew my grandparents. It's really sad...and the newbies that come in are as bad or worse off in many cases...so when I see an article alleging "80% of residents are not on welfare" I have to laugh..cuz they are just playing word games. They are the same poor people, just on a host of other programs.

As for those people on Work Advantage...all it takes is walking into a shelter and saying you are homeless..and now you are the city's problem and they will get you an apt one way or another..that doesn't take intelligence..just knowing that the city must provide you housing by law..and alot of people hustle the system because of that. HASA you can't fake..but those on HASA get subsidies ONLY if they qualify...just cuz you are HIV positive does not mean you qualify, although you must have HIV.

When we have a realistic tally of who is paying their own rent, and who isn't, only then will we know whether NYCHA has, or is moving towards, a working class population. As of now, I see no evidence of any change in NYCHA or the kind of people living there...although I sure hope to.
actually with the current state of living expenses, i dont think NYCHA really has a choice. but this is something that will take many years to accomplish. I would not have minded living in the projects at all when i first moved out of my parents house if it was like how it was back in the 50s/60s. working class people such as myself. nowadays you can forget it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City