U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 AM

11 posts, read 41,606 times

Advertisements

So, I currently live in Jersey City, NJ. Just started a family, so I'm looking around for nice suburbs that have a decent commute to NYC, but that are a little cleaner, more family friendly, and slightly more affordable than JC. Doesn't need to be super close to Manhattan, but an hour or so commute to midtown Manhattan would be ideal. I work in midtown manhattan, for what it's worth. We make around 80k per year currently.

So far, I have visited Montclair, NJ, and that is at the top of my list as far as affordability, proximity to NYC, school system, decent downtown area, and diversity (the lowest priority on my list, but it's still on my list). Are there any other suburbs similar to Montclair in these respects? They do not need to be in NJ-- I'm willing to move to other states in the Tri-state area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 PM

343 posts, read 895,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld201 View Post
So, I currently live in Jersey City, NJ. Just started a family, so I'm looking around for nice suburbs that have a decent commute to NYC, but that are a little cleaner, more family friendly, and slightly more affordable than JC. Doesn't need to be super close to Manhattan, but an hour or so commute to midtown Manhattan would be ideal. I work in midtown manhattan, for what it's worth. We make around 80k per year currently.

So far, I have visited Montclair, NJ, and that is at the top of my list as far as affordability, proximity to NYC, school system, decent downtown area, and diversity (the lowest priority on my list, but it's still on my list). Are there any other suburbs similar to Montclair in these respects? They do not need to be in NJ-- I'm willing to move to other states in the Tri-state area as well.
Check out Bayside in Queens.. 30 mins to Penn on the LIRR. Family Friendly like montclair, within school district 29, the best in the city. Also check out Douglaston Manor, and Just a little across the border in Great Neck Long Island... Anywhere on the LIRR Port Washington Branch, has towns that feel like Montclair, and are all centered around their respective train stations.

Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Check out Bayside in Queens.. 30 mins to Penn on the LIRR. Family Friendly like montclair, within school district 29, the best in the city. Also check out Douglaston Manor, and Just a little across the border in Great Neck Long Island... Anywhere on the LIRR Port Washington Branch, has towns that feel like Montclair, and are all centered around their respective train stations.

Good Luck!
Thanks for these suggestions! I will definitely check them out.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:20 PM

2,954 posts, read 10,792,683 times
Is Penn Station or Grand Central more convenient for you?

If Grand Central, the river towns in Westchester (e.g Hastings, Irvington, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow) are nice. The towns along the sound also (Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Rye).

Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld201 View Post
Thanks for these suggestions! I will definitely check them out.
Also, note that within city borders if you are looking to purchase a house or a condo your taxes will be much lower than in Nassau (Long Island) or Westchester (Non-New York City) County.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,511,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post

Good Luck!
FYI - Bayside is in school district 26

Fresh Meadows and Auburndale (just to the west of Bayside) also have a suburban feel.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:25 AM

Right now I either come in on the Path/NY Subway or into Port Authority on the bus. But, as long as I'm living in a nice place, I'm willing to come into Penn or Grand Central. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Looks like we need to take a few more day trips to Westchester and LI.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:20 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,933,357 times
There were apps on some retirement sites that would allow you to compare neighborhoods. I think you would plug in a town and they would come up with towns of similar demographics. I can't find it, but these are tools on the net that could be helpful -

This will help you to compare Montclair with other cities and towns you name:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

New Jersey has some nice towns, but it's hard to find a way to sort them all out. I always thought Teaneck was nice and areas of Maplewood are lovely. Union, though I haven't been there for a long time. Bloomfield?

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:10 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 PM

56 posts, read 370,345 times
cambria heights, queens probably the most beautiful & quietest suburb in nyc. only problem, it lacks subway. your best bet is to take Q84 to Jamaica center E, J, Z station. you have castle hill, bronx especially south of norton ave. better access to subway than cambria heights take the Bx22 to CHA station 6 diamond it will take you about 30 min to get to midtown. but north bronx neighborhoods like eastchester, wakefield, woodlawn etc. can take you at least an hour to get to midtown. good luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA6TRAIN View Post
cambria heights, queens probably the most beautiful & quietest suburb in nyc. only problem, it lacks subway. your best bet is to take Q84 to Jamaica center E, J, Z station. you have castle hill, bronx especially south of norton ave. better access to subway than cambria heights take the Bx22 to CHA station 6 diamond it will take you about 30 min to get to midtown. but north bronx neighborhoods like eastchester, wakefield, woodlawn etc. can take you at least an hour to get to midtown. good luck!
Have you been to Montclair, NJ??

As much as I love the neighborhoods you've described.... If montclair is a 10, these neighborhoods are a 5 or 6.

Cambria Heights is on the Q4 and X64. Q84 is Laurelton

Just sayin.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City