U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 PM

82 posts, read 218,021 times

Advertisements

Fellow architect living in NYC here. If you haven't read Koolhaas' Delirious New York yet, I would suggest it as a must-read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 05:11 PM

7 posts, read 12,692 times
Moth,

Suppose you were pulling in a million dollars: Do you think you would still want to start a family In the slope (my personal preference over Manhattan : )

Also do you think being able to "get out" regularly is part of living "well" in NYC

PS I don't think the city is a good place to live for the poor either.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Natural, If you want to discuss this thread then definitely post some thoughts! ; )

Runtothesun, I'll definitely check it out. What are the main ideas he kicks around?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Im leaving because of the high cost of living here.
The grass is greener down south. Thats were I'll be.
How long have you lived in the city?

And besides green grass what does the south hold for you?

I feel like there is a commonly held assumption that life is better down south or on the west coast than it is here in the north eastern part of the US. Whats going to be different for you?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,511,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyremopman View Post
All of these posts have been really helpful although its unfortunate there were only three. I have a couple questions to ask starting with Queensgrl:
Do you have kids/would you consider having kids?
I don't./I would.

Why wouldn't you want to depend on a car? Especially when cars have been associated with independence for so many years of americas history. (i.e. the freedom to hop in your car and go upstate for the weekend)
I have a car now and I use it to leave the city all the time. I was thinking about my post-retirement years. I would never consider living in an area with little or no public transportation (e.g., the town where my folks live). Senior citizens have become prisoners in their own homes because they can no longer drive.

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-23-2010 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 PM

447 posts, read 1,332,267 times
Quote:

I feel like there is a commonly held assumption that life is better down south or on the west coast than it is here in the north eastern part of the US. Whats going to be different for you?
I was born and raised in NYC.
family came in the 30s.
Got priced out so im going back to the place of my forefathers.
The south holds a cheaper cost of living and places like Miami hold just as much fun as NYC with much better housing costs.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times
Hey. Thanks for the response. But can I also get a response to the rest of the message I sent? I know its long but it wont take long to read.

I also saw your post in the thread you made too, and will post some of my message to that post too.

Where are you from in Pennsylvania specifically? I have a close friend that lives in rural Northeastern PA near Scranton. She respects where she is from but she also wants to leave and go to a bigger city area for certain opportunities and is thinking about going to NYC later in life.

My post:

Well there is a big world out there, with a lot of great cities and places, so it makes sense why someone would want to try other places out other than NYC if they lived here.

I lived in NYC for the first 18 years of my life. I like a lot of things about NYC, but I wanted to try out a city that was more laid back, not as crowded, less loud, and just had a different kind of energy and vibe to it, even though I appreciated things about NYC’s vibe and energy. I also wanted to be in a city that felt more connected to nature and different kind of natural scenery. But I still wanted to try out a city that still had a nice skyline, things to do, culture, great urban amenities and things about. Seattle(Seattle isnt NYC but still it does offer nice things)fits well with what I wanted for this time in my life.

I love both cities for similar reasons in some ways and for different reasons in other ways.

I feel like I will continue to enjoy my time here but am considering to go back to New York City one day again. In a lot of ways, I feel like NYC is a better fit for me after college.

By the way, how is it studying architecture in New York City? Is the architecture program very New York City centric or does it focus on other cities too in general? Are people allowed to have their own attitudes about places, without being discriminated if you know what I mean? I assume people have the freedom to have whatever perception/attitudes they desire about how they view locations in the world, as long as they have educated assumptions about places in the world.

I plan to study architecture too, and am considering going to college for architecture in Seattle, Vancouver, the Bay area of California, or New York City. Im in Seattle for my first year of college, in community college.

I really would live to be an architect for New York City but I just want to be able to be an architect in NYC while enjoying other cities and places too and not having anyone insult me/bash me for it and it seems like that wont happen. It seems like the truly worldly/educated people in NYC sees how there is a world outside NYC. I want to promote the great things about NYC while defending other places too, and how every place matters, and great things can be found in many locations. I also took and have a lot of photos of places in NYC and Seattle and places in them.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-24-2010 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM

I'm from right around Scranton actually and if your friend is considering moving to NYC it's probably for the same reasons I did.

As for responding to the rest of your post I'm not sure what you're looking for specifically but I'll give it a go. In what ways were you thinking a program would be "New York-centric" I don't think the program I'm in is overly focused on any one city. Instead we work on different project types like commercial, residential, public, private, different site conditions ( on a slope with a large site vs. on a city lot), various program requirements, building types, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by people being discriminated against for having their own opinions. You're making very general assumptions like when you're assuming that people in NYC are "truly worldly and educated. Within a city, within a university, and even within a class of student there will be a range of personalities and perspectives. Some people may be well traveled and have experienced other cultures yet still criticize you for your opinion. Just the same there are plenty of people who know there is a world beyond the city but take no stock in what it may offer. Educated people can still be fools if you know what I mean.

If you want to be an architect in NYC as you say while enjoying other places that is totally dependent on you and not where you are or the people there. Where ever you go there are ass holes and decent people. If you want to be an architect in New york do it; do whatever makes you happy and I think you'll find that your physical location is insignificant.

I'm not sure if this helped. But on another note I'd love to see some of your photos. If you could post them or something that would be awesome.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 31,854 times
I have a co op in queens and a house in pa. my wife and i work in queens. during the weekends we drive to the country. every single time we come back, the both of us dread it. but do to the amount of travel one way my wife would'nt even consider moving to pa. i am willing to sell my co op and take a loss. i want out now. there is no bang for the buck in the city. people are rude, they suck..lol..i guess i ran out of patience living here most of my life. good luck!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:

My job down south paid me 65% of what I made here... however for what I pay in rent here, I can -own- 4 units the same size there.

Equally hot summers, amazingly better winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or