U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,594,536 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for a slice of suburban Atlanta (for example), no you won't get it in the Bronx or NYC for that matter ( well maybe a small slice of it, but nothing you would afford). This isn't the south or the midwest, so you should not expect it to be. However, if you are looking for a similar housing option, which includes a single family/multifamily home, with garage parking, backyard, green grass, terrace, tree lined street, etc, then yes, you will find that in much of the Bronx, including the Southern Bronx at very affordable prices. And with the Southern Bronx, you will also be close to the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,524,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Just for the record, you can live in NYC and have a backyard, garden, birds, fruit trees, bbqs, a garage, etc...and affordably at that. You won't get it in Manhattan, but you will in the outerboroughs, especially the Bronx, Southern Bronx included. There are quite a few new/newer construction homes that are suburban style and would meet your criteria. You should educate yourself about what is available in NYC before you make the move to "greener" pastures.
Same in Queens, plus we have older housing stock that's stood the test of time. It's beautiful and more affordable than you would ever imagine. If you don't like the NYCDOE, go private. The middle school years are probably toughest. Many of the public elementary schools are doing a good job and there's a good selection of public specialized high schools.

It's sad that folks are sleeping on some of the nicest parts of the city because even if they're safe, with beautiful homes, and are comprised of solidly middle class professionals, white people (for the most part) won't live there if said residents are brown and black. The commutes aren't even long when you consider the express bus options, the LIRR and Metro-North. It's lovely if you don't work in Manhattan (my mom worked in a neighborhood school and dad close enough to take the bus or drive).

Being black and middle class, I don't think there's anything scary about me or my friends/family. Maybe it's the fear of being one of few. As a "minority" I don't understand that fear either since, for me, that's everyday life. I've also been the only one on many occasions. People may stare and say rude things sometimes (like "who do you take care of?" when they think I'm someone's home attendant) but I've gotten past worrying about what people think.

Before you leave here completely, why not take a chance on something different? I don't think it's worth pulling up stakes for the 'burbs or out-of-state if you really like the city. There are other options.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM

36 posts, read 67,726 times
I simply don't like living here. I've been here for 2 years now, which granted, is not an extensive amount of time but long enough for me to fairly say if I like it or not.

I don't like the constant struggle to keep up everybody else. I'm a more relaxed personality. I'm more at home in a small bar that is half empty, not a bumping club where people can hardly hear each other talk. I work to live and I feel like in order to be truly happy in NYC, you need to have the live-to-work mentality.

I also put great value in politeness and I feel that respect is given, not earned. These are values that the majority of NYC'ers don't value, at least in my experience.

I also don't like the fact that everyone is so eager to make a massive first impression all of the time. It makes dating very hard for someone like myself. I prefer the gradual approach.

Basically, I think if you are the relaxed type you shouldn't even consider living in NYC. Go out west or move to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or