U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM

7 posts, read 12,696 times

Advertisements

Some Background:
I'm a student who moved to the city from a much smaller town, and before that a very rural part of the country. Obviously, I moved to the city for the same reason that most people do, opportunity; and that's why I love living in the city. However, a majority of my friends back home share a stigma of the urban environment and being from the "country" I understand them.

To put things in context:
I'm studying architecture, and all assumptions and associations of sustainability aside I appreciate that the worlds population is increasing and that as a civilization we are moving closer and closer to a truly global
society and economy. For me this implies that urban centers around the world will continue to grow as well as the areas surrounding them, turning more and more land into suburban sprawl, which from my own experience has been the worst of the three situations (urban, suburban, rural) to live in. My hypothesis is that people leave the city to escape the stress and shear excess (noise, people, pollution, etc.) of the city for the peace and wide-open spaces of the country-side. That area then transforms into urban sprawl once enough people have followed suit and as I have observed the land no longer has the benefits of the rural country-side or the urban environment.
Now enters the global aspect of my thinking. Modern transportation and the information age have allowed producers to supply demand almost anywhere in the world, freeing the suburban communities from the shores of major cities and allowing suburban sprawl to become the model for development in every American community.

The question:
What are the main reasons people have for moving from the city to the country and visa versa?

If you have moved, I'd like to hear why, plus a little background to put things in context. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 04:18 PM

14,780 posts, read 17,404,166 times
sometimes its for oppurtunity like to make money. Sometimes its personal reasons. For me example my reasons for wanting to leave nyc is because property, Bloomberg and women. I just came back from nevada and had a pretty good time now im considering going out west. I was told that moving is good for the mind and for the soul.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,512,244 times
I have experienced city, suburban and rural living. I don't like the suburbs.

In a perfect world, I'd have a city and a country place now. But for the time being, NYC matches my career aspirations so I'd like to stay here for the duration of my career (15 years or so) or for as long as I can afford the rent!

When I retire it may be a different story. If there were some small scale "retiree friendly" neighborhoods in NYC -- like a mini Co-op City (with supermarkets, banks, drug stores, libraries, shopping, doctors offices, a few restaurants, etc. contained within the neighborhood) that would be perfect. I am very much on the fence about where to go next. Sometimes I think about the west coast but I'm not sure. I don't want to live in a place where I'm beholden to a car.

The occasional getaway to Upstate NY, Cape Cod or Vermont is something I will probably continue to enjoy into my old(er) age. Right now, I am dying for some of that crisp and cool night air

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-20-2010 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
I went to college in New York and lived there for many years. I finally left for a job opportunity elsewhere coupled with the realization that I was never going to make the megabucks required to live there with any peace of mind. By that, I mean a really large apartment without noisy neighbors. New York was great in my 20s and early 30s when such things do not matter as much. But as my character grew calmer, I began to crave some space. I just could no longer live there in a comfortable manner, if that makes sense.

I truly miss it and do not get up there very often. Its still the greatest city in the world to me. Now married and in the burbs, my focus is no longer on nightlife or many of the other things characterizing Manhattan. I like coming home and playing catch with my toddler outside and gardening on weekends. I cannot imagine having a kid in the City. However, I will encourage him to live there someday.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 12,696 times
All of these posts have been really helpful although its unfortunate there were only three. I have a couple questions to ask starting with Queensgrl:

Do you have kids/would you consider having kids?
Why wouldn't you want to depend on a car? Especially when cars have been associated with independence for so many years of americas history. (i.e. the freedom to hop in your car and go upstate for the weekend)

Secondly, for moth:
Could you elaborate on the traits of you calmer character besides craving space? and do you think space is inherently connected with the sense of calm?
I get the sense that there is a divide between work and our lives beyond work. Further more I get the impression that the city is only suitable for those who work. I'd like to here your thoughts on that.

Thirdly:
Does anyone think that the ideas I kicked around above might be the cause for a difference between those who move to the city to find work and those who have spent their whole lives in the city?

Old 07-23-2010, 11:41 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyremopman View Post
All of these posts have been really helpful although its unfortunate there were only three. I have a couple questions to ask starting with Queensgrl:

Do you have kids/would you consider having kids?
Why wouldn't you want to depend on a car? Especially when cars have been associated with independence for so many years of americas history. (i.e. the freedom to hop in your car and go upstate for the weekend)

Secondly, for moth:
Could you elaborate on the traits of you calmer character besides craving space? and do you think space is inherently connected with the sense of calm?
I get the sense that there is a divide between work and our lives beyond work. Further more I get the impression that the city is only suitable for those who work. I'd like to here your thoughts on that.

Thirdly:
Does anyone think that the ideas I kicked around above might be the cause for a difference between those who move to the city to find work and those who have spent their whole lives in the city?
Good question.

Part of New York's appeal is the energy and craziness. Living there, you deal with a lot of stuff most people cannot imagine. Not that is necessarilly dangerous, but anyone who lives there knows what I mean. When I was younger, I had the energy to deal with that. Indeed one gains a sort of machismo. However, as I got older, I grew tired of the perpetual assault of the senses and the high costs. And after a day of it, I would go home to invariably crampt spaces with noisy, insensitive neighbors. Growing older means your standards are higher and to be blunt, I could not afford the loft in Tribeca or the Brownstone in the Slope. I still loved the City but I could not turn it off and I could not longer afford it on my terms.

Were I pulling down a half million, I would have never left. Then you can live well, take cabs, and get out whenever you want. New York is a good place to be poor or rich, but not middle class.

Again, that was me and my particular situation. Some people are fine living in a studio there for their entire lives. That's cool. New York is a great town. Were it not for my wife and kid, I would probably go back for round III.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:03 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,359,348 times
Hey I sent you a PM with a post and response to your thread topic.

I just realized I should have said more in the PM and regret it now, but we could discuss further the topics you are mentioning. I just had to begin somewhere!

Do you want me to post that message unto this actual thread?

Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,359,348 times
Hey I sent you a PM with a post and response to your thread topic.

I just realized I should have said more in the PM and regret it now, but we could discuss further the topics you are mentioning. I just had to begin somewhere!

Do you want me to post that message unto this actual thread too?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
grant516

n/a posts
You leave the city of New York because you love cars and driving, and it sucks to own one there.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:46 PM

447 posts, read 1,332,488 times
Im leaving because of the high cost of living here.
The grass is greener down south. Thats were I'll be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or