U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 12:29 PM

55 posts, read 78,965 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to ny in about 4 weeks.. I have been looking online at apartments more frequently, but there are some neighborhoods that I haven't seen or heard of. There is so much info on here its hard to weed through most of it. I am looking at a small studio for 900 a month. I have a dog as well. Is it possible to find a decent neighborhood for that price? As it gets closer I start to freak out a bit more. Any advice would be good. I will stay in the bronx, queens, brooklyn or manhattan which i know manhattan will be nearly impossible on that budget.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 12:32 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
With that budget and having a dog, forget Manhattan. What kind of dog do you have? Where will you be working? I would seriously consider the Bronx on that budget.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 PM

343 posts, read 895,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo542 View Post
I'm moving to ny in about 4 weeks.. I have been looking online at apartments more frequently, but there are some neighborhoods that I haven't seen or heard of. There is so much info on here its hard to weed through most of it. I am looking at a small studio for 900 a month. I have a dog as well. Is it possible to find a decent neighborhood for that price? As it gets closer I start to freak out a bit more. Any advice would be good. I will stay in the bronx, queens, brooklyn or manhattan which i know manhattan will be nearly impossible on that budget.
Here goes, I'm gonna be quick, so you have to do your own research with the following below:

Bronx:

Parkchester (in the complex) Apts around $935 per month, stay on the south side of the development (south condo)

Pelham Parkway: White Plains Road to about Williamsbridge Road. Pre war apartments $800-$1000 (2, 5 train, to pelham parkway, bronx park east or the 5 train to Pelham Parkway)

Pelham Bay: Westchester Avenue from about Bhure Ave to Pelham Bay Park Station (6 train) and the Surrounding Blocks.. Crosby Avenue is a good place to start. 1 Bed around 900.

Brooklyn:

Boro Park edge of Kensington: Around Ditmas Avenue F station... 1 bedrooms about $800 a month..

Queens:

Forest Hills/Sunnyside/Jackson Heights/Astoria : Rego Park, Studios around $900-1000, (Best Bets)

Manhattan:

Is possible, but Upper harlem (Lenox/ACP/FDB 137-145th) not as safe, but atleast you are in manhattan... studios around $875 and 1beds around $950, look at the apts on 137th, 139th, 144th and 146th streets, note management signs on buildings... these are the cheapest in the neighborhood.. you'll understand why when you venture there....

Also, NY works networking style. Most apt owners are old school, rarely post on the internet so you have to get out and about and look at signs on the building for management info. They often have several buildings in their portfolio and your search will become a lot easier.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
I would agree with you on possibly getting SOMETHING in Manhattan, however he has a dog, and that alone means he is unlikely to stay in Manhattan, and depending on the size/breed he may even have a tough time in the Boros.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:59 PM

118 posts, read 391,855 times
You can find studios up here in Harlem for that, but only you will know if you can tolerate the neighborhood. I live on 134th between Broadway and Amsterdam. It is safe, you just need to use common sense. However, as I have learned, safety alone is not everything. Sometimes I want to have more of the comforts of home around me (Starbucks, Chipotle, Barnes and Noble). These things are still by-and-large at least a 10 minute commute from me. But my rent is dirt cheap, and there is a certain amount of freedom in that. I can work 20 hours a week and have all of my bills paid with money to spare, navigating the city. It's all what you want out of life.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM

447 posts, read 1,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
You can find studios up here in Harlem for that, but only you will know if you can tolerate the neighborhood. I live on 134th between Broadway and Amsterdam. It is safe, you just need to use common sense. However, as I have learned, safety alone is not everything. Sometimes I want to have more of the comforts of home around me (Starbucks, Chipotle, Barnes and Noble). These things are still by-and-large at least a 10 minute commute from me. But my rent is dirt cheap, and there is a certain amount of freedom in that. I can work 20 hours a week and have all of my bills paid with money to spare, navigating the city. It's all what you want out of life.

Harlem isnt nice?
Its full of druggies and crack heads.
For someplace that gets 30 homicides+ a year doesnt sound that nice to me.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 AM

582 posts, read 1,012,551 times
You may be able to find something in Inwood on that budget. Inwood is past Harlem and Washington Heights, at the very northern tip of Manhattan. It's a longer commute than other Manhattan neighborhoods, but it is pretty safe and you can get there via the A train.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 AM

1,810 posts, read 6,199,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Harlem isnt nice?
Its full of druggies and crack heads.
For someplace that gets 30 homicides+ a year doesnt sound that nice to me.
Most crimes happen overnight,sucks if you have to work the graveyard shift though. Just use common sense,I think there are a few worse neighborhoods these days then Harlem. Bottom line though is affordability. Why pay a lot of money a month in rent in a trendy area if you have hardly any food in your fridge?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,896 times
I live in Bay Ridge and a couple of weeks ago I was helping a friend check out apartments in the neighborhood. I was surprised, we viewed a few in the $800-900 range that were actually very nice, but you have to act fast to get those deals around here. Problem is, the dog. Most were not dog friendly, but possibly some landlord's may give you a pass if it's a small dog.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 AM

55 posts, read 78,965 times
Yes i do have a dog and she is an airdale terrier so she is about 60 lbs. I have several excellent references from previous landlords for her. I won't have a job because I will be in culinary school, however can pay nearly a whole years rent in advance so i th ink that thickens the pot.. I hope. I've spoken to a few landlords and brokers online who seem to be okay with that. Thanks for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or