Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times

Advertisements

Suggestions for things to do? Planning on moving around this time frame, and want to as much as i can that is worth doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
The Bronx Zoo, The Bronx Botanical Garden, The Brooklyn Botanical Garden, The Museum of The Moving Image, a visit to Governor's Island, a walk around Roosevelt Island, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and then visit the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Suggestions for things to do? Planning on moving around this time frame, and want to as much as i can that is worth doing.
I'm assuming you mean off the beaten path since you've been in New York for a little bit... so.. I'll go with that

Manhattan:

Cloisters

Randals Island

Riverside Park

Jumel Terrace Mansion & Historic District

City College Area- Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill Historic Districts

Strivers Row (139th street between 8th and Lenox)

Brooklyn

Coney Island - New Luna Amusement Park

NY Aquarium

McCarren Park

DUMBO, especially Jay Street (Take F to york and walk to water, amazing old school trolley tracks and cobblestone streets, bridge scapes.. amazing)

Greenpoint Historic District - A trip to poland Basically...

Ditmas Park & All the Historic Flatbush Neighborhoods, beautiful Victorian
and Queene Anne homes

Downtown Brooklyn & Brooklyn Heights as mentioned above

Mill Basin Marina

Park Slope / Prospect Park West

Queens

Astoria

Jackson Heights Historic District.. and shops on 37th Avenue

Queens Center Mall / Rego Center (new Century 21)

Forest Hills & Kew Gardens (near the LIRR and 71st ave) Planned english style tudor community still intact... beautiful. Shopping on Austin Street

Fort Tilden Park (Riis Beach) in the Rockaways Old war installation, has sand dunes that rival dubai, old cannons and relics... truly amazing.. Mansions in nearby Neponsit and Belle Harbor

Atlas Park Mall in Glendale

Forest Park & Park Lane in Woodhaven

Jamaica Center for some Flava lol

Douglaston Historic District

Bayside

Flushing Chinatown

Hall of Science

Flushing Meadows Park

The Bronx

Zoo & Botanical Garden

Bartow-Pell Mansion in Pelham Bay Park

City Island!!!! - Seafood Bonanza.. great in summertime

Wave Hill

Van Courtlandt Park

Fieldston Historic District

Little Italy/Belmont

Fordham Center (get your shop on)

Staten Island

Ferry

Zoo (which is dope btw)

St. George

South Beach

Any of the Historic Districts

I'll think of more...

New Jersey

The Shore (Wildwood, Seaside Heights, Point Pleasant, Asbury)

Six Flags Great Adventure

Red Bank

Montclair

Long Island

Jones Beach

The Hamptons

Oyster Bay

Long Beach

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-20-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 PM

141 posts, read 352,822 times
The Museum of the City of New York. This is perhaps the best way to spark interest in other parts and landmarks of the City including the little known. Also Ellis Island along with the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side. Anyone with long ago relatives who emigrated to America definitely passed through Ellis and likely lived in the Lower East Side for a time. Both Ellis Island and The Tenement Museum allow you to trace your roots and let you know just how easy we have it, thanks to the great grand folks!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Default Baker to the Battery Hike

If you're in good health, like exploring various neighborhoods on foot, how about walking the whole length of Manhattan (north-south or vice versa) in a day? Before I left NYC (after finishing graduate studies at Columbia) I did this - started from Baker Field (northern tip of Manhattan), went through Inwood, Washington Heights, Harlem, then went down the east side of the island, skirting Gracie Mansion, the UN, down to the LES to Battery Park in the south. Took me about 7 hours to do on a weekend.

You can switch around neighborhoods whether the east or west side, depending on your preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City