U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM

16 posts, read 40,358 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the cross post, but I really really want to get the input of New Yorkers on this one:

My final move - Los Angeles vs New York - Stumped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,028 times
I'm goin thru the same thing. Feel stranded out here in LA. Miss the realness of Ny, the honesty, the hard workers, the pace, the friendly not syrupy niceness. It's hard to get back. Believe me, its been yrs!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,571,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unzipper View Post
Sorry for the cross post, but I really really want to get the input of New Yorkers on this one:

A city is what you make out of it but comparing New York City and LA is not a fair comparison unless you are talking about downtown LA and then New York wins and if you live in the suburbs then it does not matter because they are all the same. To me Pasadena is no more LA than Tarrytown is New York City

Old 01-18-2014, 04:50 AM

22 posts, read 24,179 times
It really depends on the person. Someone fits this kind of life and someone does not. There are people who would never have crossed from LA and NY and vice versa.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 AM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2004 View Post
It really depends on the person. Someone fits this kind of life and someone does not. There are people who would never have crossed from LA and NY and vice versa.
Agreed. One needs to make a life in whatever city they choose to live in. NYC and LA are very different and it is like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,646,884 times
The lifestyles are so different that most people prefer one over of the other. Another issue is cost. While LA is expensive compared with Texas, it’s cheap compared with New York. If you’re truly happy in either, I would go with the one that offers the best job opportunities and cost of living.

I think the only reasons to live in New York are: (1) career opportunities, (2) it’s the only place that makes you happy, or (3) housing costs are not an issue.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 AM

3,302 posts, read 915,017 times
We've been in LA for almost two years now and while we appreciate the weather and the abundance of natural amenities as well as the great diversity of landscapes from beach, to 10,000 feet peaks to the desert all within a short distance, the city itself is what I'd describe mostly as a s*** hole.

The extremes in wealth and poverty are so great, the traffic lives up to its reputation, the smog is quite bad and everyone we've encountered has an attitude.

We are exiting around May 1st!!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:05 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,571,546 times
Quote:

How Can you say it is your final move at your young age. Never say never because who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 AM

149 posts, read 211,311 times
I have done similarly, moved from NY to LA, which I hated, followed by Europe and "middle America." They say that you can make a good life anywhere with the right attitude. Not true in my case, anyway. Back to NY!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,035,440 times
Quote:

Don't move back here. Stay where you are. Trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City