U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-21-2010, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
38 posts, read 48,684 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

I am worried about my elderly mother living alone in the projects and I would like to have her move to an apartment closer to me. We are already pretty close as I live in Bushwick and she is in Williamsburg. But it's still sometimes a hassle to get to her. And although the Williamsburg houses used to be pretty decent (and still are compared to other housing projects) they are deteriorating and poorly managed, which is a shame since they are designated city landmarks. I have my eye on a specific place called Ellery Court Senior Housing. It looks like a nice building. It's just a block or so away from me and would be almost perfect. It's a section 202 building. Only problem is every time I call to inquire about submitting an application or getting my mother on the waiting list they say it's closed. When I called last week they said it would be closed for at least 6 months. Then they said they make announcements through "marketing" but I have never seen anything advertised in the papers I read. I am wondering if I am going about this the wrong way. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
305 posts, read 621,687 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by supanyc View Post
I am worried about my elderly mother living alone in the projects and I would like to have her move to an apartment closer to me. We are already pretty close as I live in Bushwick and she is in Williamsburg. But it's still sometimes a hassle to get to her. And although the Williamsburg houses used to be pretty decent (and still are compared to other housing projects) they are deteriorating and poorly managed, which is a shame since they are designated city landmarks. I have my eye on a specific place called Ellery Court Senior Housing. It looks like a nice building. It's just a block or so away from me and would be almost perfect. It's a section 202 building. Only problem is every time I call to inquire about submitting an application or getting my mother on the waiting list they say it's closed. When I called last week they said it would be closed for at least 6 months. Then they said they make announcements through "marketing" but I have never seen anything advertised in the papers I read. I am wondering if I am going about this the wrong way. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Get on the email list for the community board that the building is located in. Frequently they will do a mailing to anounce openings along with an application. I just received one for a senior building in midtown Manhattan. Good Luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 AM
 
343 posts, read 570,103 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by supanyc View Post
I am worried about my elderly mother living alone in the projects and I would like to have her move to an apartment closer to me. We are already pretty close as I live in Bushwick and she is in Williamsburg. But it's still sometimes a hassle to get to her. And although the Williamsburg houses used to be pretty decent (and still are compared to other housing projects) they are deteriorating and poorly managed, which is a shame since they are designated city landmarks. I have my eye on a specific place called Ellery Court Senior Housing. It looks like a nice building. It's just a block or so away from me and would be almost perfect. It's a section 202 building. Only problem is every time I call to inquire about submitting an application or getting my mother on the waiting list they say it's closed. When I called last week they said it would be closed for at least 6 months. Then they said they make announcements through "marketing" but I have never seen anything advertised in the papers I read. I am wondering if I am going about this the wrong way. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Check out nyc.gov/hpd

They have all the affordable housing lotteries on there. Most of them have priorities for seniors and the disabled. Your mother may qualify. I'd start there. Also check community based organizations in your neighborhood and explain your situation.

Right now there are apartment lotteries for N6th Street in Williamsburg for what its worth.. 2 bedrooms.. would you consider living with her? She would get priority since shes in the nabe already.

Keep in mind that the economy is tight and funding for some services of the aging have been cut, so spread yourself wide when gathering info.

Call 311 too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
38 posts, read 48,684 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
Get on the email list for the community board that the building is located in. Frequently they will do a mailing to anounce openings along with an application. I just received one for a senior building in midtown Manhattan. Good Luck.
Thanks for your response. I just called them but they say they don't have an email list. Also, they referred me to Ridgewood Bushwick Senior Citizens council which sponsors senior housing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
38 posts, read 48,684 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Check out nyc.gov/hpd

They have all the affordable housing lotteries on there. Most of them have priorities for seniors and the disabled. Your mother may qualify. I'd start there. Also check community based organizations in your neighborhood and explain your situation.

Right now there are apartment lotteries for N6th Street in Williamsburg for what its worth.. 2 bedrooms.. would you consider living with her? She would get priority since shes in the nabe already.

Keep in mind that the economy is tight and funding for some services of the aging have been cut, so spread yourself wide when gathering info.

Call 311 too.
Well, I just got my own co-op apartment a year and a half ago after living with my mother. We need to live apartment for both of our sanities, hehe.

Thanks, I will look out for those housing lotteries. I am signed up for the email notifications but usually just delete them since I found my own place.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
38 posts, read 48,684 times
Reputation: 38
Also, I want to add that my mother is very low income (SSI and very little social security). Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
 
1 posts, read 845 times
Reputation: 10
hello, I am looking for to rent an apartment studio or one bedroom low income, im 55+ years old, i need to live in building for senior becouse my condition of healt is no too good, and I am alone. I would like to live in the bronx, manhattan, queens or brooklyn...specially bronx
I appreciate your help me...

thanks

maria
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
11,346 posts, read 11,246,610 times
Reputation: 4796
THere's a place on 93rd St., named for two brotheres.
I think it is for senors.

I forget the name though....between Second and Third Aves.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM
 
159 posts, read 197,327 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Michel View Post
hello, I am looking for to rent an apartment studio or one bedroom low income, im 55+ years old, i need to live in building for senior becouse my condition of healt is no too good, and I am alone. I would like to live in the bronx, manhattan, queens or brooklyn...specially bronx
I appreciate your help me...

thanks

maria
Maria, did you apply for New York City Housing, since you said you have low income. I think this is the best option, You can pick up an application at 1 Fordham Plaza in the Bronx.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top