Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:40 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,468,374 times

Advertisements

Central has the same problem, the exterior condenser/compressor unit.

In an NYC apartment, if you have room for that unit, splits, with their much small space requirement that full ducted central systems, do make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
<snip>

Personally I think that central AC is the way to go and if you don't have space for the ductwork, then go with window units. I think most of the universe agrees with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You're going to have to get coop/condo approval, and unless you have some private and/or non-visible space to mount the outside unit, I really don't think that will happen.

Also, the technology of window and split units (at least as far as the actual refrigeration is concerned) is exactly the same.
I've seen many mounted inside the balconies of newer condos. But I've never ever seen any mounted anywhere on a coop.

As for the technology, most modern splits use inverter technology which is basically a variable speed compressor and it's part of the reason why they're more quieter since they don't go full speed everytime the compressor switches on. Some also can heat as well as cool. I suppose a regular ac can employ the same technology, but I haven't seen it in the regular ACs that they sell at regular stores like Bestbuy and etc.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:01 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,468,374 times
I live in a coop, we have unit owners that have installed splits. But these owners all have the outside unit mounted on some private outside space they have (balcony, roof deck, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I've seen many mounted inside the balconies of newer condos. But I've never ever seen any mounted anywhere on a coop.

As for the technology, most modern splits use inverter technology which is basically a variable speed compressor and it's part of the reason why they're more quieter since they don't go full speed everytime the compressor switches on. Some also can heat as well as cool. I suppose a regular ac can employ the same technology, but I haven't seen it in the regular ACs that they sell at regular stores like Bestbuy and etc.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:13 AM

13 posts, read 94,489 times
follow up after a few years. Never got to go with the split unit and just went with a quiet in window design (vomit)

I did place the windows AC left of the window frame and the large space on the right filled with thick acrylic sheet thats see through. I placed a metal bar locking down the AC and acrylic sheet allowing the window to be opened above it.

my atempt at text render render :-)

|_________________|
|_________________| <- bar holding AC and acrylic sheet permanently
|
|__AC___|__acrylic__|

Old 01-03-2016, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,574 times
I think this topic is valid and relevant for NYC apartment (particularly co-op) dwellers. Let's be clear that the bulk of residential units are old and retro-fitting at building level is very costly and essentially unlikely given that shareholders tend to be in "disinvest" mode. While window ac is making slow progress from a technology standpoint, it remains undesirable for many reasons, but there is no single, affordable and universally practical alternative. PTAC units often suffer from the same issues as window ac and are very much not an alternative unless the building has sleeves built-in.

Window AC:

1) obscures the window, robbing the apartment of light (aside from being ugly)
2) renders the window inoperable (although, you can use a bar to mount the unit and operate the other window panel)
3) fails to deliver cooling where it is needed if you have a "deep" apartment, which many apartments are.
4) prevents curtains from being drawn across the window.
5) is an eye-sore; i believe seeing an apartment building with a window ac unit in every room is ugly
6) while newer units disperse water using the fan many still drain it into the street. The condensate can damage exterior brickwork and cause a hazard for pedestrians.
7) the fact that condensate must be routed out of the conditioned space and is often retained in the chassis of the unit causes a health hazard, IMO.
8) is a source of damage; the window sills in my building are steel and all rusted in a square shape beneath the traditional window ac location, and i see this pattern in neighbour's apartments, too.

Bear in mind that most Manhattan apartments are small. It's hard to find space for air handlers, and multi-zone systems require large/unsightly exterior units. However, compact single-zone ductless systems may be effectively used to bring air into the core of the apartment, reduce noise (by locating the exterior unit beneath a closed kitchen window away from the street), improve the aesthetics of the primary living space, and leverage variable speed inverter technology.

I believe that if I can install a single, 18,000 btu unit with the delivery in the central space of my 1,000sq ft, 2-bed apartment, then the heavy lifting will be achieved. I can supplement with low-profile, quiet 6,000 btu units in the bedrooms to be used when necessary and dispense with the living room unit.

A simple installation like this would of course need board approval and I think this is the tricky part as it would be the first install of its kind in the building, but a solution like this improves the comfort of the apartment and increases the value I think, too. I'd love to hear from anyone who has more to say. I think there's a strong argument and it seems like a sensible solution.

Last edited by nickywild; 01-03-2016 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: additional information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City