U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 PM

453 posts, read 122,746 times
Nala8:

You seem like a wise New Yorker!

I like your attitude about loving New York City, but being to respect, appreciate and enjoy other places too and seeing how every place offers its positives and negatives.

What do you think is the percentage of people in New York that has similar attitudes like us? I really hope it is at least 70%.

Even though it doesnt seem like it sometimes, I think its a very small percentage of people in New York City that are close-minded, arrogant, and snobby and dont see how there are other great places out there. Probably less than 10%.

Do you think that is true?

Im a native New Yorker who lives in Seattle right now and I love both places. I would like to live back in New York City one day for my career but what Im trying to find out is if most people that are in NYC have attitudes like us.

I hope at least 70% of you aren't like that, either. To be honest, I'm embarrassed to be from Texas after the tenure of George W. Bush. Let me reassure you not all of us are like that, either. Different cities in Texas have different mindsets. Nonetheless, I don't think Texas is the friendliest state in the union, either. In fact, this may shock some of you, but from my experience, the friendliest people I've ever met in America were in the Heartland. My mother is from Kansas City, and that's what I love about visiting her hometown. The people there were great. I liked St. Louis a lot, too, because the hospitality was incredible. Not once growing up in Houston did I ever have such a symbiotic relationship with all my neighbors. The solidarity in Missouri was unfathomable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 PM

966 posts, read 1,307,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Nala8:

You seem like a wise New Yorker!

I like your attitude about loving New York City, but being to respect, appreciate and enjoy other places too and seeing how every place offers its positives and negatives.

What do you think is the percentage of people in New York that has similar attitudes like us? I really hope it is at least 70%.

Even though it doesnt seem like it sometimes, I think its a very small percentage of people in New York City that are close-minded, arrogant, and snobby and dont see how there are other great places out there. Probably less than 10%.

Do you think that is true?

Im a native New Yorker who lives in Seattle right now and I love both places. I would like to live back in New York City one day for my career but what Im trying to find out is if most people that are in NYC have attitudes like us.
Thank you so much. I actually don't think there is a lot of NY'ers who feel this way. The ones I have met or who are in my life are travelers like me. We love NYC but because of our experiences and our willingness to experience more we choose to make NYC our home and then proceed to visit other cities from there.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 PM

1,916 posts, read 5,129,922 times
I never go someplace expecting something, because I'll only be let down. I went to Houston.. it was very nice, the wind was a little strong, but the food was good.. I only wish I had a car to make the most of it. Definitely not so much in walking distance, but what was around was nice. Love the view of the city when you're coming from the airport by bus.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,139,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
This will stoke controversy on both sides, but I think Texans and New Yorkers are actually very similiar, at least when it comes to stereotypes. Both are loud, brass, and think their state is #1
+1
Very true! As a native Texan and new New Yorker, my loyalties are torn!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,396,459 times
To Nala:

Im confused. Are you saying that there are a lot of New Yorkers that have similar attitudes as us or are you saying there are a lot of New Yorkers that dont have similar attitudes as us?

Because most of the time, it really does seem like most people that live in New York City have attitudes similar as us. At least I hope so. Maybe its both at the same time with a lot of New Yorkers feeling similar as us and a lot of NY'ers not having similar attitudes as us. I know so many family members and friends there that seem to feel similarly as we do but know some people there that also dont, so its hard to tell.

Honestly, what matter how much someone loves a particular place they should try to appreciate other places out there. There are many great cities in the USA and the world and New York City is one of them. And there are many great places in the world and NYC is one of the many places.

I feel like I want to have a career in NYC after college but I just hope most people have attitudes like us. If not, then it feels discouraging to get back there.

I live in Seattle the past 4 months and am going to college here. I lived in NYC the first 18 years of my life. I love Seattle as much as New York City but for different reasons with some things, while similar reasons for both. By the way, did you ever visit Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, Canada and the Pacific Northwest? If not, I think you will enjoy a trip there!

I guess NYC needs as many people like us as possible, so I should consider it a possibility after college either way because I do love things about NYC and its a good place for my career field. The places Im considering for after college is New York City, Seattle, San Francisco, Washington D.C, Chicago, and Denver. All of these cities are great for that career field, but in some ways NYC is the best one for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your recent post Im responding to:

Thank you so much. I actually don't think there is a lot of NY'ers who feel this way. The ones I have met or who are in my life are travelers like me. We love NYC but because of our experiences and our willingness to experience more we choose to make NYC our home and then proceed to visit other cities from there.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-22-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 PM

9,189 posts, read 14,443,018 times
I have been to Texas, more than once, to the usual hot spots: Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and a couple of smaller communities. I have extended family who live in the Dallas area, though they are not natives, and have met some very nice people in Texas. I wasn't shocked to see hi-rises or anything that one finds in any other modern city, but then I don't arrive with any preconceived notion of a place or its people, and have tended to travel a bit more than most people.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-23-2010, 04:17 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,782,124 times
My grandparents lived in Texas (College Station) so I visited regularly growing up. People were super friendly. In College Station anyway, you couldn't get very far without a car, and there were a ton of strip malls, Piggly Wigglies, etc. I loved my grandparents, but my grandfather used the n-word with regularity and would probably roll over in his grave to know that he had a black grandson-in-law and mixed great grandchildren. My mother wasn't like that at all though, so I think generations can change a lot.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:00 AM

966 posts, read 1,307,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Nala:

Im confused. Are you saying that there are a lot of New Yorkers that have similar attitudes as us or are you saying there are a lot of New Yorkers that dont have similar attitudes as us?

Because most of the time, it really does seem like most people that live in New York City have attitudes similar as us. At least I hope so. Maybe its both at the same time with a lot of New Yorkers feeling similar as us and a lot of NY'ers not having similar attitudes as us. I know so many family members and friends there that seem to feel similarly as we do but know some people there that also dont, so its hard to tell.

Honestly, what matter how much someone loves a particular place they should try to appreciate other places out there. There are many great cities in the USA and the world and New York City is one of them. And there are many great places in the world and NYC is one of the many places.

I feel like I want to have a career in NYC after college but I just hope most people have attitudes like us. If not, then it feels discouraging to get back there.

I live in Seattle the past 4 months and am going to college here. I lived in NYC the first 18 years of my life. I love Seattle as much as New York City but for different reasons with some things, while similar reasons for both. By the way, did you ever visit Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, Canada and the Pacific Northwest? If not, I think you will enjoy a trip there!

I guess NYC needs as many people like us as possible, so I should consider it a possibility after college either way because I do love things about NYC and its a good place for my career field. The places Im considering for after college is New York City, Seattle, San Francisco, Washington D.C, Chicago, and Denver. All of these cities are great for that career field, but in some ways NYC is the best one for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your recent post Im responding to:

Hi. Let me clarify a bit here. (There is more in my message to you.) No, I do not think that many New Yorkers feel this way. I find it interesting that even though many New Yorkers come from different places, there is this overall sentiment that New York is the best. The small percentage of us who enjoy other places may love New York but know that there is a great big world out there.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 AM

26,191 posts, read 18,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I'm originally from both Texas and Louisiana and after living in NYC for two years I can honestly say that the south is no more racist than NYC. The difference I would say is that in the south you know who is racist and in NYC it's not always so obvious.

I also think the reason why people notice soooo much racisim in the south is that they are looking for it. South is historically known for it so you look for it.
No, your assumption doesn't apply to my observation. I wasn't looking for "Southern racism" at all. I've had a black brother-in-law since before I went down there and so I noticed it because it made me uncomfortable that the word was tossed around so easily in front of me, a stranger. Again, this was about 30 years ago, in an apartment complex of mostly low-to-middle income white people. It doesn't necessarily mean that all of Dallas or Texas was of that mindset in that place and time, either.

Not in any way claiming that there aren't racists in New York and New Jersey, either. They are everywhere. Some of them are related to me.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 AM

305 posts, read 582,192 times
Been to San Antonio and had a great time, walked and sailed the Riverwalk. Had some great Mexican food at Mi Tierra. Visited several missions and learned some about the history of the area.

Also visited Fort Worth, great cowboy town. Went to the rodeo, ate at Billy Bobs (the world's biggest honky tonk) quite an experience, mechanical bulls, good music and the best slab of ribs west of the Mississippi. Visited the Stockyards, toured Dallas and Fair Park with it's great art deco architecture. Stayed at the Worthington Hotel and it was world class, better than most hotels in Manhattan.

All In All 2 great weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City