Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
TheBoros:

Among all of these areas, which of them have free parking? I have a car, I don't want to pay $200 for a parking space, or have to try hard to get a parking spot.

Also, which of these are less populated, more suburban, and have less density? I work in Manhattan and at the end of the day, I want to have some peace and quiet.

Also which neighborhoods are friendly and have interesting streetlife ?
Here's the thing. Queens is not there on hip-ness except for Astoria. Street Parking is pretty easy in most areas, but we have this dreaded thing called Alternate Side of the Street Parking, where you must move your car a few times a week for street cleaning. IT will be come a regular part of your vocabulary.

Forest Hills, Kensington, are more suburban. Depending on where you are in those neighborhoods. You are going to have to go around and see what's in your comfort level. Forest Hills would match both street scape, amenities, and peace and quiet. I think it would be a perfect fit. Around Yellowstone Blvd south of the LIRR tracks have some interesting small free standing homes.

Parts of Forest Hills ARE working class. Most of the Apartments on Queens Blvd at the western end close to Rego Park, house these folks. I know quite a few of them, especially in Parker Towers. The neighborhood has a middle/working class feel to it on the major strips because of the shopping area and the transportation connections. There is a sizeable elderly population, most whom are far from affluent.

The more affluent side is in FHG which is south of Austin Street, and more single standing one family homes north of the BLVD closer to the Grand Central.

The single family homes in Kensington are East of Ocean Parkway, around Courtelyou, Beverly, Marlboro, and Ditmas Av. Close to the Historic District. The bars and nightlife are absent, but there is great shopping on Cortelyou and Newkirk Plaza.

I would also second Jackson Heights in the Historic District, but those buildings on those streets are packed tight together.

Queens has all of what you are looking for, you should explore all of it. I second the exploration of deeper queens Especially near LIRR, where you will get to the city under 30 minutes if you are in zone 1 or 3. And you can park your car on the street. Look into Bayside, Douglaston, Aburndale, Queens Village (North of Jamaica Avenue). They have tons of planned communities on Springfield Blvd, Utopia Parkway.

Fresh Meadows is a good look as well.. Around 188th Street and 73rd Avenue. You would have to commute to the city via Express bus tho.

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-22-2010 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Another consideration would be Riverdale, in The Bronx, which is under 30 minutes to Midtown via Metro-North to Grand Central Terminal. There are garden-style buildings that are set amid landscaped grounds, and you're not far from abundant parkland in the neighborhood, and some beautiful vistas of the river.

Forest Hills has parking problems, because the buildings were built before there were 2 or 3 cars per apartment, in some cases. As such, I would not rely on street parking, regularly, and there are not many parking structures in the area, either. Eastern Queens and Riverdale are easier with a car, and most of Riverdale has only one day for alternate side, as opposed to two in many other areas, not to mention a number of garages and parking lots.

Do not trust listings on CraigsList. The prices can be artificially low to stimulate interest, or they are microscopic apartments over the vent for a Chinese restaurant, and next door to an all-night club. Well, perhaps that is an exaggeration, but $2k would not be anywhere close to a modern 1BR in Chelsea; that would be several thousand more per month, especially with parking.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 PM

721 posts, read 1,210,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Another consideration would be Riverdale, in The Bronx, which is under 30 minutes to Midtown via Metro-North to Grand Central Terminal. There are garden-style buildings that are set amid landscaped grounds, and you're not far from abundant parkland in the neighborhood, and some beautiful vistas of the river.
I would hesitate to take Metro North Raidroad, because of the connection at Grand Central.

For instance, if I miss the 6:23PM or 6:25PM train after work, I'll have to wait for half an hour at the Grand Central for the next train at 7:54PM. Then I'll get to Riverdale station at 7:20PM, which means, I'll get home at around 7:30PM (if my apartment is within 10 minutes walk to the train station). That'll be too late.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 PM

MNRR is the fastest to Riverdale, but not the only way to get there. You can take the 1 subway line, which is longer, since it's a local, or the BxM1, BxM2, or BxM18 express buses. The problem with the subway in Riverdale is that it only touches part of the neighborhood on Broadway, not areas up the hill. You can even take a 2 or 3 subway, which are express, transfer at 96th Street to the 1 to get to Riverdale. Some areas are walkable from the subway, whereas others require a transfer to a city bus.

It would be the same prospect in Eastern Queens, where the LIRR is fastest to Penn, but you could take an express bus, or subway to city bus too, though they take longer.

City-Data FAQs

Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Wow... you're getting robbed. There are 1brs on craiglist from 1900-2400 in chelsea. One in a townhouse too.

He asked about garden apartments as well. There are garden apartments in the twenties between 7th and 8th.

And for the record Chelsea DOES have freestanding buildings... 20th Street btwn 9th and 10th avenue is a perfect example...
I live in the 20's between 7th and 8th...don't see many garden type apartments. Lots of cute town houses but I don't really see free standing garden type apartments.

And actually no, I am not getting robbed. Those "one bedrooms" for 1900 most likely don't exist. I looked at a one bed room for $2000 and you literally walked into the kitchen and I was shown a closet that was the "bedroom". I think the apartment was literally 300 sq ft. What is on craigs list and what ACTUALLY exists are two majorly different things.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I live in the 20's between 7th and 8th...don't see many garden type apartments. Lots of cute town houses but I don't really see free standing garden type apartments.

And actually no, I am not getting robbed. Those "one bedrooms" for 1900 most likely don't exist. I looked at a one bed room for $2000 and you literally walked into the kitchen and I was shown a closet that was the "bedroom". I think the apartment was literally 300 sq ft. What is on craigs list and what ACTUALLY exists are two majorly different things.
So how would you explain on the citi habitat site, right now... not craigslist, they are offering a 1 br. floor thru for $1900 on the top floor of a brownstone?

25th Street has garden apartments between 7th and 8th. There are garden apartments on 17th and 9th across from Fulton Houses. There are garden aparments on 20th street btwn 9th and 10th. Hell, London Terrace Gardens is a whole garden apartment complex... it's and acre for god sake... you wouldn't even know its there... as you cant see most garden apartments until you go past the gates/doors.

I have over 30 years of born and bred experience in this city, so I know what I speak. You should really get to know your neighborhood.

There's also another apartment FLBO thats on the internets for $1950.

You are getting robbed and need to move! lol. Just because you don't like the $1900 apartment doesn't mean it refuses to exist!

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-22-2010 at 09:34 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 PM

The London Terrace Gardens is not a garden apartment, despite having gardens in the name. The only rental areas are in the middle buildings, as the towers are co-op. It's a masive pre-war collection of buildings that was grand and flashy for its day, but came of age during The Depression.

Garden apartments are low-rise structures, usually without elevators that are set amid landscaped grounds in nicer communities. They are not large buildings, and don't typically have the same amenities as one would find in grand buildings, such as rooftop decks, elaborate health/swim clubs, etc. They are more suburban than Manhattan's towers.

Chelsea has townhouses and brownstones, but not anything that would be called a garden apartment in the traditional use of the term.

City-Data FAQs

Old 07-23-2010, 05:28 AM

721 posts, read 1,210,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I assume you are taking public transportation to work?
Yes, I take public transportation to work.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:04 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post

You are getting robbed and need to move! lol. Just because you don't like the $1900 apartment doesn't mean it refuses to exist!
Wow someone is something up their you know what. I will pack my things and get right out of my apartment. Too bad I just renewed my lease. Looks like I will have to break it since I'm getting robbed after all. Not to mention my building is beautiful and my my actual apartment is very large. All that matters is you think it's too much!

Top "floor" of a brownstone= a tiny attic room on the 6th floor of a walk up. I would rather pay more for an elevator and space!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The London Terrace Gardens is not a garden apartment, despite having gardens in the name. The only rental areas are in the middle buildings, as the towers are co-op. It's a masive pre-war collection of buildings that was grand and flashy for its day, but came of age during The Depression.

Garden apartments are low-rise structures, usually without elevators that are set amid landscaped grounds in nicer communities. They are not large buildings, and don't typically have the same amenities as one would find in grand buildings, such as rooftop decks, elaborate health/swim clubs, etc. They are more suburban than Manhattan's towers.

Chelsea has townhouses and brownstones, but not anything that would be called a garden apartment in the traditional use of the term.

London Terrace Gardens inner structure has one acre of green courtyard space inside that serves as common space for the buildings.. so you're saying that those don't qualify as garden apartments by your own definition??... and regardless if they are some rental and some co-op, they are still housing options that can't be overlooked as garden style apartments.

They just happen to be full service pre-war buildings as well. Coincidently they DO have a health and swim club and all the amenities you would find in luxury buildings, but in a pre-war classic historic setting...

Take a spin on the website... looks like garden style apartments to me. Especially in the low rises...
Apartments in New York City, Chelsea | London Terrace Gardens

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-23-2010 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City