Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
I was born and raised in Jamaica Queens. I am 46. I moved to Brooklyn at 25 and pretty much never returned to QUeens after that. I reside in CLinton Hills now which, like all parts of downtown Brooklyn, has become more upscale. I recently drove out to Long Beach and took a tour of my old neighborhoods specifically, Jamaica (Around Rochdale Village), Green Acres Mall(In Nassau) and Far Rockaway. Those places looked run down and awful. Doesnt seem to be alot of development either since I left 20 years ago.

IT seems everywhere I look in Brooklyn is coming up and certain parts of QUeens look like they are going down. Any ideas?
I've been residing here in SE Queens for the past 2 years now, but I lived in the Bronx my whole life. There some condo developments happening about a 1/4 mile south of Rochdale right off the Conduit. There's also quite a few new construction 2 family homes and townhouses for sale off Baisley Blvd near Bedell St along with the other random new homes/developments being built off the main blvds. The only places in South Jamaica that looks really rundown is the rowhomes off South Road and Liberty and some of the residential homes near Rockaway Blvd which is to be expected due to the industrial areas, higher density, and it's proximity to the Van Wyck & JFK. Can't really speak for Far Rock because I've never been out there.

I think as another poster mentioned, it all comes down to which locations can maximize profits for the city as a whole. Those areas that are closer to Manhattan will get first dibs at urban renewal. That likely explains while place like Brooklyn, Harlem, Upper Manhattan and Western Queens are seeing rapid changes while places like SE Queens are experiencing changes at a much slower pace. I mean let's be honest, unless you're married with children or are over 35, work in Queens, Nassau, or Suffolk or don't mind commuting nearly 2 hours one way by bus + subway to your job in Manhattan there's really isn't a major incentive to live in SE Queens. It's 4am and I'm tired of typing so I'll just end my post here, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 05:32 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Question to the folks bantering about their perceptions of Rochdale. Do you think Rochdale has potential for being a destination for young, middle class people, given the lack of apartments, coops and condos in SE Queens? I do, and I don't want to trash it too much because I see the potential. People need to take the appropriate steps to fix what's wrong as they are doing with Parkchester, and Co-op City in the Bronx and Starrett at Spring Creek in Brooklyn.

Also, just to clarify a few things:
1. Rochdale was supposed to have a pool but it never did. They built a series of fountains that used to be near building 7. I don't know what's there now.

2. It is more convenient to take the LIRR from Rochdale to Penn. Maybe it's not 28 minutes but I would rather chew nails than ride the Q85 Bus + the E train, which takes 1 hr, 9 min, according to the MTA trip planner. It is GOOD that Rochdale has this option, and is a huge selling point.

3. Someone mentioned a roller skating rink upstairs in the big mall. Well, before that there were tennis courts. My mom and grandma took lessons there in the 70s-80s.

4. As for apartment size, we lived in bldg 6, section A/2B (two kids and two parents) and although it was just a 2BR, it was very spacious. Across the hall 6A/2E (i think) was a three bdrm. Now that was a BIG apt.

I forgot to mention that my mom was a teacher at P.S. 80 so long after we moved, we still a connection to Rochdale.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I think as another poster mentioned, it all comes down to which locations can maximize profits for the city as a whole. Those areas that are closer to Manhattan will get first dibs at urban renewal. That likely explains while place like Brooklyn, Harlem, Upper Manhattan and Western Queens are seeing rapid changes while places like SE Queens are experiencing changes at a much slower pace.
How do you explain East New York, Brooklyn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I mean let's be honest, unless you're married with children or are over 35, work in Queens, Nassau, or Suffolk or don't mind commuting nearly 2 hours one way by bus + subway to your job in Manhattan there's really isn't a major incentive to live in SE Queens.
First of all, a lot of people in SE Queens do work in Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau & Suffolk, so they drive. Those who take the MTA into Manhattan have long commutes, but they also have the option of the LIRR from Rosedale, Laurelton, St. Albans, Queens Village and Locust Manor/Springfield Gdns-Rochdale, which cuts the commute in half.

You are right, 35 y.o. w/kids is the typical demographic seeking to buy a house in SE Queens. However, there are also lots of young adults (21-30) still living with parents. There are also ppl who might move to a co-op or condo in SE Queens if they do not want/cannot afford a house. There are also lots of senior citizens.

I see a place like Rochdale as a good option for this population. If reconceived properly, Rochdale could be a nice, lively community, given the proper mix of mall tenants and the right pricing structure. Maybe it could offer a percentage of straight rentals for the young people, affordable rent for seniors and market rate-based ownership for others.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 AM

Speaking of the Rockaways, how is Arverne-by-the-Sea?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
i went to the open house and looked at every model. solid construction they did not BS with that development. craftmanship is A+. they are building the new stop and shop supermarket, anticipated completion date is thanksgiving. if i go outside later i will take pics and post them. cant wait until my neighborhood finally takes off.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i went to the open house and looked at every model. solid construction they did not BS with that development. craftmanship is A+. they are building the new stop and shop supermarket, anticipated completion date is thanksgiving. if i go outside later i will take pics and post them. cant wait until my neighborhood finally takes off.
Hmm. I've got nothing planned today. I'm gonna take a drive out. What better way to beat this darn heat than to be by the beach!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Hmm. I've got nothing planned today. I'm gonna take a drive out. What better way to beat this darn heat than to be by the beach!
good job....grab a beer on the boardwalk at beach 86th street.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM

Default Arverne

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well, that was quite a surprise. I hadn't been to Arverne since 1994 and can't even remember what was in the location wher Arverne by the Sea is. There's a lot of construction going down the beach. Any retail development planned? It's really needed over there.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Well, that was quite a surprise. I hadn't been to Arverne since 1994 and can't even remember what was in the location wher Arverne by the Sea is. There's a lot of construction going down the beach. Any retail development planned? It's really needed over there.
there was nothing there.....just empty grass....retail is being planned for around the beach 67th street train station. already filed with the buildings dept for it.
im glad u went out there because my lazy self didnt go outside today, so no pics. :-(

ps: on beach 79th street where the new condo 8 story buildings are that used to be a little strip mall. a bodega, tattoo shop, chinese restaurant, and 1 or 2 more shops i cant remember. that was the only thing that was demoed for arverne by the sea. the only 2 buildings in the area from about beach 61st street to beach 73rd were adabbo clinic on beach 68th and the synagogue on 67th. you were just driving through a sea of grass on rockaway beach blvd otherwise....it was like driving in kansas.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:33 PM

Is Peninsula Hospital closed? It looked eerily empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City