U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,816 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm about to move to NYC from Louisiana. I will be living and working in the Bronx. I am a speech therapist and I will be providing early intervention services to children ages 0-3 in their homes and other community settings. My primary location will be in the South Bronx. How safe do you think this is? I have heard that it can be pretty rough. Also, I plan on staying in the Kolping Residence on Grand Concourse until I can get settled. Has anyone heard of this place? I really need to know if I should take the job. It pays very well but I don't want to do something that will be dangerous. So, I would appreciate any advice that people are willing to give me.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM

49 posts, read 266,025 times
Go for it, please. The South Bronx has a stigma that has outlived its reality. It's rough, make no mistake, but not as bad as some people would have you believe. Exercise some common sense when travelling at night and everything will work out.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:43 PM

244 posts, read 562,867 times
Living/Working in the South Bronx

Aside from the "Living" part, . . it's ok.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM

386 posts, read 835,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha212 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm about to move to NYC from Louisiana. I will be living and working in the Bronx. I am a speech therapist and I will be providing early intervention services to children ages 0-3 in their homes and other community settings. My primary location will be in the South Bronx. How safe do you think this is? I have heard that it can be pretty rough. Also, I plan on staying in the Kolping Residence on Grand Concourse until I can get settled. Has anyone heard of this place? I really need to know if I should take the job. It pays very well but I don't want to do something that will be dangerous. So, I would appreciate any advice that people are willing to give me.

Thanks
Oh, yes, the Kolping Residence. That is Bedford Park where I live. Where in the South Bronx will you work? I work there and just moved here from the South Bronx. You're better off at Kolping until you get situated. It's in a better part of the Bronx. Feel free to private message me.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 PM

244 posts, read 562,867 times
>> It's in a better part of the Bronx.

I think that says it all . . .

Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,272,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiryMan View Post
Go for it, please. The South Bronx has a stigma that has outlived its reality. It's rough, make no mistake, but not as bad as some people would have you believe. Exercise some common sense when travelling at night and everything will work out.
Just to be clear , does having "common sense" means nothing will happen to you in a notorious crime ridden area? I have to believe that response is a little careless. You're inviting a person from the Deep South to just move into a NYC hood that has a long standing reputation for a reason.

The South Bronx is terrible, PERIOD! I hope the OP isnt as desperate to get to NYC as some others regardless of the circumsances.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:12 AM

8,190 posts, read 18,958,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha212 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm about to move to NYC from Louisiana. I will be living and working in the Bronx. .....
Where in Louisiana are you living ? If you are in New Orleans you are already living in a city where the crime in an average neighborhood( not even a "bad" neighborhood) is much higher than any place in The Bronx.

I know that the murder rate is not necessarily the final word on anything but New Orleans( again the citywide average) has 63.6 murders per 100,000 people while the 42nd precinct in The South Bronx( highest crime rate in The Bronx and one of the highest in NYC) has only 22 murders per 100,000.

Even baton Rouge has a much higher murder rate( 38 per 100,000) than the 42nd precinct.
http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=10743430

Only you can decide where you are comfortable but I would take my chances in The South Bronx any day over most of New Orleans outside The french Quarter or Baton Rouge or most other major US cities.

Actually,I am a white guy who teaches in The South Bronx so I do in fact take my chances in The South Bronx every day. Just keep things in perspective.

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-24-2010 at 07:35 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 AM

541 posts, read 1,635,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Where in Louisiana are you living ? If you are in New Orleans you are already living in a city where the crime in an average neighborhood( not even a "bad" neighborhood) is much higher than any place in The Bronx.

I know that the murder rate is not necessarily the final word on anything but New Orleans( again the citywide average) has 63.6 murders per 100,000 people while the 42nd precinct in The South Bronx( highest crime rate in The Bronx and one of the highest in NYC) has only 22 murders per 100,000.

Even baton Rouge has a much higher murder rate( 38 per 100,000) than the 42nd precinct.
Baton Rouge murder rate skyrockets - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |

Only you can decide where you are comfortable but I would take my chances in The South Bronx any day over most of New Orleans outside The french Quarter or Baton Rouge or most other major US cities.

Actually,I am a white guy who teaches in The South Bronx so I do in fact take my chances in The South Bronx every day. Just keep things in perspective.
While Baton Rouge and New Orleans have high crime rates I'm guessing she doesn't live in those isolated pockets of both of those cities that account for those statistics.

Having moved here to NYC from Louisiana myself I'm not sure how comfortable she will be living in the Bronx....unless of course she lived in the 9th ward of New Orleans or South side of Baton Rouge.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 AM

5,453 posts, read 16,776,814 times
The S. Bronx is a whole different animal. Proceed with caution and may the lord be with you.

No but seriously it's home to the highest crime rate in the city so you're living in NYC worst when taken everything into account. Good Luck.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 PM

8,190 posts, read 18,958,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
While Baton Rouge and New Orleans have high crime rates I'm guessing she doesn't live in those isolated pockets of both of those cities that account for those statistics. ....
Actually,the murder rates I posted for those cities were for the entire city, not for isolated pockets.They are CITYWIDE averages,not the 9th ward or whatever.The one for the 42nd precinct in The Bronx is for the highest crime area in the borough,not for the entire borough.So my comparison was between the worst part of The Bronx and the entire City of New Orleans.

If you want to compare the entire Bronx with all of New Orleans it's 63 murders per 100,000 people in New Orleans v 8 murders per 100,000 people in The Bronx.It should be pretty easy to understand that New Orleans is a much more violent place than The Bronx.Last year there were 170 murders in New Orleans with a population of 280,000. There were 113 murders in The whole Bronx with a population of 1.5 Million.What does that tell you ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-24-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or