U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:00 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,171,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoMTLtoNYC View Post
My husband and I are moving to Brooklyn for a job in Dyker Heights. We lived in Maplewood NJ for 11 years so we are familiar with the area generally, but not Brooklyn specifically. We are middle-aged and white. I am researching apartments by internet to prepare for a house-hunting trip. I see ads for nice-looking apartments at 522 Lefferts, which is a block below Empire Blvd, between Brooklyn and Kingston. It looks like a very Jewish area from the landmarks on the map, so I would think it would be safe. Any help on this, please?
The Jewish pop there is 100% chabad/lubavitch. And the chabadniks in Crown heights include, shall we say some odder characters than you will find among chabadniks elsewhere in the USA - in particular a very large group who believe that the rebbe WAS the messiah (you can tell them by the yellow flags that hang from their houses, etc). If you are not already very familiar with chabad, I can't imagine you would be comfortable there. Plus the area south of empire is kind of on the edge of the Jewish area, and its not very attractive physically, at least that I can recall from the last time I was there (you could check it out on google street view to confirm that).

There really arent any large concentrations of non-Orthodox jews left in Brooklyn outside the brownstone nabes. If I was looking for something in brooklyn outside of brownstone land, close to dyker heights, where a non-O suburban jewish couple would feel at least somewhat comfortable, I would look at the kensington and other areas near "victorian Flatbush" or further south. Those nabes are mainly O now, but East Midwood Jewish Center survives as C shul, IIUC, and there are still modern O.

Alternatively you might look at "south slope". There are strong Reform and Conservative shuls in Park Slope.

wait, you didnt say you were jewish - are you just using the jewish presence in CH as an indicator of safety? Hmmm. I can't really imagine a gentile couple enjoying living Chabad land, but "there are more things in heaven and earth..." as Shakespeare said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 11,147 times
nope, not Jewish. The reason this came up is I saw lots of Jewish landmarks and figured the neighborhood was safe.

Brooklynborndad, what do you think of Bay Ridge as an option? We now live in Montreal, in the city, in a residential area that abuts mixed commercial-residential, and is walking distance to bus/metro, shopping, library, parks. We love being in a more urban setting and being able to walk to so much, and Bay Ridge seems similar. Ethnically, where we live is very white, but it seems that's true of Montreal in general.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,171,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoMTLtoNYC View Post
nope, not Jewish. The reason this came up is I saw lots of Jewish landmarks and figured the neighborhood was safe.

Brooklynborndad, what do you think of Bay Ridge as an option? We now live in Montreal, in the city, in a residential area that abuts mixed commercial-residential, and is walking distance to bus/metro, shopping, library, parks. We love being in a more urban setting and being able to walk to so much, and Bay Ridge seems similar. Ethnically, where we live is very white, but it seems that's true of Montreal in general.
there are many other people on this site much more up to date on bay ridge than I am. Sorry.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 PM

971 posts, read 883,480 times
Considering that you choose bedford, I think you shoukd be relativley fine. As long as you don't do anything really stupid (talk to strangers, stare, dress like a hipster, have convos with the police, have a certain look on your face) you should be fine. Not like your really close to a main street or anything...

Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 11,147 times
gotcha, thanks. any and all other neighborhood recommendations you and others have already provided and might still have is appreciated.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:41 PM

in that case, move to either east flatbush, west bed-stuy, bay ridge, brooklyn heights (who am I kidding) prospect heights, park slope, or canarsie. I will keep my reasons to myself.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,806,231 times
I wouldn't want to live near Bedford & Rogers. It's too noisy and congested. Too many bodegas, dollar stores and greasy food joints. I need the basics -- decent supermarket, laundry, dry cleaners, fruit/vegetable markets, a few nice restaurants. It's not over there. If safety is a concern, why even bother? Do yourself a favor and consider Queens. Woodside, Sunnyside and Jackson Heights are much nicer, with better commutes. If you absolutely MUST be in Brooklyn, go over to Ditmas Park or Kensington.

522 Lefferts is mainly Caribbean black. The Jewish area is north of Empire. Not a bad area but it's nicer a few avenues to the west in Prospect-Lefferts Gardens.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,436 times
So, today I looked at an apt on Bedford and St Marks ave today. It is a great new building but is the area safe. Of course the only real reason I like the place is because it has a washer/dryer and its only $1500. Is this a safe area? Not to sound bad here but I'm a young single girl, would it be safe for me at night? I'm asking because right now I live in downtown brooklyn and obviously its a HUGE difference from what I can see but I know a lot of brooklyn is in transition. Any recommendations??!! Thanks!!!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 PM

10,352 posts, read 18,805,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspants99 View Post
So, today I looked at an apt on Bedford and St Marks ave today. It is a great new building but is the area safe. Of course the only real reason I like the place is because it has a washer/dryer and its only $1500. Is this a safe area? Not to sound bad here but I'm a young single girl, would it be safe for me at night? I'm asking because right now I live in downtown brooklyn and obviously its a HUGE difference from what I can see but I know a lot of brooklyn is in transition. Any recommendations??!! Thanks!!!
On a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being extremely safe and 10 being extremely dangerous, I give Bedford and St. Marks a 5. A friend of mine used to live nearby on Bedford and Dean so I know the area.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Whats up with all these white girls wanting to move to these black areas. No it isnt safe by any means.
you know whats annoying? that fact that people act like Black people stalk the streets at night looking for single white women to attack, like they are the fruit of our eyes or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City