Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times

Advertisements

In this hot weather, I suggest going to see a matinee movie. You can enjoy the air-conditioning and many people go solo. Also some movie theaters offer discounts to some of the matinee shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 04:54 AM

1 posts, read 961 times
Go for a walk along the river park. Look for someone you are attracted to and simply just say hi. Be the first to say it. Break the ice by asking questions. Ask what's your name? Where are you from? What do you do? If they are interested they will carry on the conversation. Never talk about yourself unless they ask.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:31 PM

624 posts, read 982,695 times
Get some hobbies and try meetup groups.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:52 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggeplaya View Post
If you are looking to meet people, I have the perfect place. There is a Lorenz Salsa Dance school in queens. I was a student there for a while. You meet all types of people. White, black, indian, spanish, ect..all type of professions & all ages. I really miss that dance school! Look it up trust me.
I went there !

Old 07-12-2014, 02:59 AM

191 posts, read 220,655 times
Jesus!!! was about to opinate until i realize this is from 2010 lol

Old 07-12-2014, 05:34 AM

275 posts, read 572,395 times
Maybe you can help some new lonely people.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
You can do pretty much the same thing alone that you'd do with someone. Go to a movie, a play, a concert, a museum. Stroll around any interesting neighborhood. Go to summer street fairs. If you love to eat, stroll around Little Italy or Chinatown and munch your way around. Try going to a nice restaurant for yourself, which is a challenge for most women.

But, hey, think about getting some new friends, too. Think of some things you'd enjoy doing, and then join a group, or take a class, or do some volunteer work. In fact, if you love to eat, there are some interesting-sounding food walking tours (check the listings in the Village Voice or Time Out). Take a cooking class! Join a food MeetUp!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:07 PM

It's not that easy as people make it out to be. Activities are rather contrived here and for some people (like myself) that may not be a conducive environment to meeting people.

I do great in environments where people are just hanging out. I'm that guy that you wind up having a long conversation with when you are nursing a beer or just chilling waiting around for something to happen.

I've done many classes meet-up type events here but I find it highly competitive. The way people present themselves in those types of social situations means a lot.....not everything but a lot. It is rather formal if you think of it...like standing up in front of the class and telling a little bit about yourself.

Something like a dance class or yoga could be a better environment but then you need to *spend money. That's another thing with me. I don't want to feel like I need to spend $20/30 every time I want to be social. There are lots of activities I could do but that would bring me closer to meeting new people but at the expense of my savings for other more important matters.

The weather is not great for several months of the year so you need to consider spending even more to be social during those months.

Not everybody is in volunteer mode either. Been there done that. Being slapped around and told what to do to save people a few minutes of their time isn't rewarding.

If I could choose a scenario I would choose an outdoor block party BOOZE ALLOWED....where I knew someone prior to arriving . Those are fun !

Old 07-12-2014, 02:34 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
It's not that easy as people make it out to be. Activities are rather contrived here and for some people (like myself) that may not be a conducive environment to meeting people.
I do great in environments where people are just hanging out. I'm that guy that you wind up having a long conversation with when you are nursing a beer or just chilling waiting around for something to happen.
I've done many classes meet-up type events here but I find it highly competitive. The way people present themselves in those types of social situations means a lot.....not everything but a lot. It is rather formal if you think of it...like standing up in front of the class and telling a little bit about yourself.
Something like a dance class or yoga could be a better environment but then you need to *spend money. That's another thing with me. I don't want to feel like I need to spend $20/30 every time I want to be social. There are lots of activities I could do but that would bring me closer to meeting new people but at the expense of my savings for other more important matters.
The weather is not great for several months of the year so you need to consider spending even more to be social during those months.
Not everybody is in volunteer mode either. Been there done that. Being slapped around and told what to do to save people a few minutes of their time isn't rewarding.

If I could choose a scenario I would choose an outdoor block party BOOZE ALLOWED....where I knew someone prior to arriving . Those are fun !
That doesn't seem particularly helpful in terms of the OP's situation.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
That doesn't seem particularly helpful in terms of the OP's situation.
BUT it's honest and I can relate to her issues. Therefore maybe helpful to know other people are in the same position as her ?

Feel Good advice when it may not be realistic is also counter productive. Truth be told....honesty prevails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City