Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,984 times

Advertisements

I have a question where are these native gatherings and groups at?.. I haven't been able to find any native social groups in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
You should check out the Native American Museum. I'm sure they have contacts and information about groups and etc.

National Museum of the American Indian

Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,818 times
Default native american neighborhoods in NYC?

Guess what guys were everywhere in every city!

Mohawk People move to where the work is. If your job is an Iron Worker this means that youre quick to move. Here today gone tomorrow. One of the places weve put down roots was Brooklyn, New York. I lived in Brooklyn while my father was working on the World Trade Center in the 70`s. He`s made his temporary home in many cities across the US. Some Mohawks still reside throughout the 5 B`s of NYC.

Were all here we just move around alot. If theres a big influx of Mohawks this means some big steel structure is going up. we`ll be back!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 AM

185 posts, read 647,774 times
lol at attacked by blacks, and i agree with whoever said Queens-which has everyone. P.S. i won't attack you

Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 AM

486 posts, read 983,656 times
Great Thread, very educational. Thanks for all the facts! I've lived in NY most of my life and have yet to meet a Native American person so is good to know they are here.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,213 times
NO, unless you go to a couple of reservations (one in Long Island) and there is one is Jersey somewhere...some upstate too.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Mod cut: TOS violations

Anyway, there are NO American Indian neighborhoods in NYC. Unfortunately.

Back in the 80s, I believe there used to be some living in the Upper West Side. I said this because I used frequent a great bar in the area (near Columbia) and there would be a few genuine native Americans there; long hair and everything. Very cool.

Well its the aughts now, not the 80s, the business name of the place remains, but that place and the entire neighborhood is a different place. There and then was the first only times I've seen a native American in NYC.

Sorry.

BTW, nobody is going to Mod cut: languageabout you and your white boyfriend, specifically, if you look Indian or Latina. If you look really Latin, then you *may* get a look or veiled sneer in a Spanish neighborhood---but, its nothing!

I'm also confused by your "attacked by blacks" comment. Why would blacks give a damn about an Indian or Latina dating a white? Something doesn't sound right. Whatever.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: TOS violation, language

Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
First off, I don't think there are many Native Americans in the Northeast outside of reservations so no real "neighborhoods". I know that Oklahoma has a large non-reservation community and maybe a couple of other places (Arizona) but sadly, centuries of persecution/genocide throughout and miscegenation in Latin America (i.e. many "dark skinned" Latinos are genetically a long-ago mix of white conquerors with Native Americans, sometimes even a mix with African slaves as well) have made NA's a small minority in the US, especially off of reservations.

Regarding "attacked by blacks", that is straight out of the 1970's and perhaps the late 80's/early 90's crack epidemic. While I'm not so naive to think that racism, and "reverse racism", doesn't exist that kind of stuff doesn't happen much anymore around here. And no one (especially the generation under 30, even to some extent my generation (late 30s/early 40s), except in very conservative areas) here really looks that askance at interracial couples anymore, while still not "common" it's a lot more common with each passing year.

The neighborhood I live in in southern Westchester is mixed but majority black (barely though) and I'm white (as are my wife and kids) but I can tell you as long as you treat your neighbors like you would any other human being no one really looks much at anything here (in fact, there's quite a few interracial couples in this neighborhood perhaps for that reason). I imagine in other "multitude" areas (someone mentioned Queens, I'm sure it applies in the southern 2/3 of Manhattan as well) the same holds true.

Don't worry, live happy!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,213 times
Actually, I want to clarify my last statement. As far as so called "Native Americans" and what we believe them to be today which is little "red" men who used to live in huts and now are on reservations scattered throughout the US, NO there aren't any "Native American" enclaves in the city.

However, as far as indigeneous people of America are concerned, they are all around you every single day as they make up the majority of the population in the city.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,127 times
According to Work and Other Sins by Charlie LeDuff, there were once "more than seven hundred Indians" in Boerum Hill, and for decades all of the residents at 375 State St. were Mohawk. Also it notes that there are "about seventy" in Bay Ridge (in 2004, when it was written).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City