U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,321,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I always cringe when I see everyone's responses that any poster who wants to leave NYC... "it's not for everyone". The OP's point is a VERY valid one- and not a personal specific.

The discrepancy in pay in Manhattan is absolutely out of control.

The discrepancy in rent control, or people's contribution living in NYCHA is insane as well.

It's not for everyone in this case includes HarlemNewbie as she isn't clearing over 75K a year.
You know in SF City, a waiter makes about $9.79 an hour, plus tips; also they are eligible for health benefits through the City itself.

Not to say that SF is a haven for anyone, just that NYC has a long way to go with progressive laws to aid a middle class.
This is the sort of post that makes me LMAO! "....progressive laws to aid a middle class." Exactly how do you legislate prosperity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,750,011 times
Um, I wouldn't live there either and I am from NY. You can find a crap job in any borough if you really wanna stay.
I can tell you that I went to private Catholic schools my whole life and never met anyone like Gossip Girl characters and don't know anyone who got pregnant even in HS..so, tiny stereotyping there. I don't live a life like Friends, but a majoruty of us don't. I have friends who have really wealthy parents and they are nice people, so maybe you just don't like the rudeness. Money and jobs are not always indicative of that, though.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM

343 posts, read 897,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
While you give a wealth of information to the OP- giving hints that people should know other people to get hooked up with jobs, or get great apartments through lotteries means that if you're not lucky around here, the quality of life will suffer.
I'm not giving hints, It's just a fact. The OP needs to be proactive in her life and stop blaming harlem and the rich for her problems.

She needs to take initiative and get out there and meet people, introduce herself to people, and Network.

I found the lottery information on the Web, just like she could have.

I pick up a copy of time out new york, just like she could have.

I go out to the bars and restaurants and meet tons of people and strike up conversations, exchange business cards, and BAM!! New contacts. I follow up with these folks every now and then to see whats doing and see how I can mesh with them.

Go to the Learning Annex... learn how to talk to people, they give classes on this stuff.....

People gripe about BS on here, they don't bother to explore outside of the box. NYC is not for everyone. This is a hustlers town. If you ain't with it... JFK and LGA are THAT WAY >>>>>>>>

Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 AM

142 posts, read 361,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
My only Q to the OP is: Why in the world would you move to Harlem?? That would give ANYONE a bad taste for Manhattan! Why didn't you get place in a nice neighborhood in Queens or Brooklyn? The rent would be about the same as would the commute.

Second, I agree with the differences in salaries and how insane it is. What's even more insane is that most of those "Wall Street" people live on Long Island ---- that's double whammy for me. The jackhole LI attitude on top of Wall Street arrogance. If I was on wait staff and one of them got smart with me, I think he's be wearing his meal. "Oops, I must have tripped over the laces of my $9.99 Keds. You know how clumsy we poor folk are."

Look into moving into a different area. That may give you a better perspective.
Why are you knocking Harlem? Queens and Brooklyn have the same amount of crime if not worse. Especially many parts of Brooklyn.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,520,171 times
The OP has at least 3 threads going on this same theme. She's had many viable suggestions given to her here, and elsewhere, but the rant continues. Is this just an opportunity to slam Harlem, "ghetto people," and the rich & spoiled? To completely deny opportunity in other boros? What gives?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
Why are you knocking Harlem? Queens and Brooklyn have the same amount of crime if not worse. Especially many parts of Brooklyn.
Well that may be true, There are more neighborhoods in BK and QNS that are liveable well kept and maintained.

A lot of transplants don't think of queens, or have no idea where to start. Plus, the commute is going to be long. It is the trade off for living in nice communities.

And BTW, even as a black man, Harlem has way too many issues for me to deal with, so I understand her on that.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:15 AM

541 posts, read 1,671,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Well that may be true, There are more neighborhoods in BK and QNS that are liveable well kept and maintained.

A lot of transplants don't think of queens, or have no idea where to start. Plus, the commute is going to be long. It is the trade off for living in nice communities.

And BTW, even as a black man, Harlem has way too many issues for me to deal with, so I understand her on that.
The commute from afforable neighborhoods such as Astoria, Sunnyside and Woodside is probably the same if not better to most places in midtown Manhattan.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
DAS

2,530 posts, read 5,833,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post

From the OP's post in this thread and other's, I think she can only afford to rent a room, and works late at night, getting home around 1 AM. She may not be able to afford to live in a decent neighborhood in another boro, even if the other boro's are comparatively cheaper. It may be hard to rent a room in one of the nicer sections of the other boros, for the price she is paying to live in a not so great place in Harlem. The combination of a long commute late at night, and the cost maybe too much.

The block in Harlem that she is living on is not to good, that is why it is affordable for her. There are inexpensive restaurants, and bars over on 12th Ave, 2 blocks over from her that cater to the young White crowd that lives in the area, there are quite a few, she is not alone.

The OP also has to stop worrying about what the customer's in the restaurant think of her, and if she wanted to know she may be surprised. She seems to think everyone that is well dressed, and makes a good salary is looking down on her. If I am a customer at one of those restaurants, or when I go to a supermarket, my only thoughts for the workers are thoughts of respect, because I was one of them at one time. I know how hard the work is, and not everyone is capable of doing it. Of course it was easier for me because, I'm from here, was still in school, and living at home with my family. Also I knew I wasn't going to be doing that forever, so I didn't care what anyone thought at the time. It was/is an honest living.

Her postings may be a reality check for some people thinking about moving to NY, and having the adventure of living in a low income area, and making here with little money, and no connections.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
From the OP's post in this thread and other's, I think she can only afford to rent a room, and works late at night, getting home around 1 AM. She may not be able to afford to live in a decent neighborhood in another boro, even if the other boro's are comparatively cheaper. It may be hard to rent a room in one of the nicer sections of the other boros, for the price she is paying to live in a not so great place in Harlem. The combination of a long commute late at night, and the cost maybe too much.

The block in Harlem that she is living on is not to good, that is why it is affordable for her. There are inexpensive restaurants, and bars over on 12th Ave, 2 blocks over from her that cater to the young White crowd that lives in the area, there are quite a few, she is not alone.

The OP also has to stop worrying about what the customer's in the restaurant think of her, and if she wanted to know she may be surprised. She seems to think everyone that is well dressed, and makes a good salary is looking down on her. If I am a customer at one of those restaurants, or when I go to a supermarket, my only thoughts for the workers are thoughts of respect, because I was one of them at one time. I know how hard the work is, and not everyone is capable of doing it. Of course it was easier for me because, I'm from here, was still in school, and living at home with my family. Also I knew I wasn't going to be doing that forever, so I didn't care what anyone thought at the time. It was/is an honest living.

Her postings may be a reality check for some people thinking about moving to NY, and having the adventure of living in a low income area, and making here with little money, and no connections.
Hopefully she will take my advice and apply for the lotteries.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,783,153 times
Hi HarlemNewbie.

What jumps out at me from your post is that you are waitressing. Waiting tables is misery in a lot of places, not just NY. I waited tables in several places in the US and Europe (not in NY) to pay for school, and it was nasty and hard. You are exhausted all the time, and addicted to the instant cash.

I had a chef chase me out of the kitchen with a butcher knife, I had a chef scream verbal abuse at me (in French), I was sexually harassed, I was groped, a fellow waitress pulled my hair until I got whiplash, in one restaurant the waiters were keying in their orders on my number (i.e. stealing from me), fellow waitresses/waiters jogged my arm on purpose while carrying trays of drinks or hot soup, and I worked some horrible conditions in kitchens in the poshest restaurants. I am talking giant cockroaches, air conditioners dripping god-knows-what on the food and on us, and bites all over our legs from the fleas the rats brought in.

People can show their worst sides when dining out. It's shocking. People walk out without paying, they stiff you for no reason, they are drunk, their kids make awful messes, etc. People diss you all day long, because they can. You are expected to smile all the time, and get them whatever they want, no matter what their behavior. It can wear down even the toughest soul.

HN, something brought you to NY, what was it? I can't believe it was to wait tables. Most people move to NY with a dream of accomplishing something, am I right? Force yourself, as tired as you are, to focus on that EVERY DAY. Force yourself to work a little bit every day toward your dream.

You can do it. You can make it there. There -- slap on the back, go get 'em, sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City