U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:55 AM

318 posts, read 926,832 times

Advertisements

i am moving at the end of august - been in the nj/nyc area my whole life and my husband and i are both very excited about starting our lives elsewhere. we're moving to chicago. about 2 months to go and we are taking care of all loose ends. i will always probably consider nyc home and will be back to visit various friends/family often enough. the things i love about it will probably always be here so i'm ready to go. i'm getting bitter and i don't think i should be at this age. it's time to go explore elsewhere. we've both always loved chicago and like the slower pace but also city atmosphere, cleaner, more affordable,etc.

incidentally, i will miss being farther from areas i love to visit in new england area - boston, vt, ri, etc. but can always visit, just a little more challenging for a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 AM

1,767 posts, read 4,162,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
i am moving at the end of august - been in the nj/nyc area my whole life and my husband and i are both very excited about starting our lives elsewhere. we're moving to chicago. about 2 months to go and we are taking care of all loose ends. i will always probably consider nyc home and will be back to visit various friends/family often enough. the things i love about it will probably always be here so i'm ready to go. i'm getting bitter and i don't think i should be at this age. it's time to go explore elsewhere. we've both always loved chicago and like the slower pace but also city atmosphere, cleaner, more affordable,etc.

incidentally, i will miss being farther from areas i love to visit in new england area - boston, vt, ri, etc. but can always visit, just a little more challenging for a weekend.
Word from people I know is that Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the US.

But don't let me or anyone discourage you. Best to you and your husband.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Word from people I know is that Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the US.

every city has its issues - lesser of two evils i suppose.

et merci.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:44 AM

7,903 posts, read 13,935,293 times
Chicago is intriguing, as a place to move to, but isn't really expensive as well amy_cate? If you don't mind me asking.

Best of luck on your move.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 AM

1,434 posts, read 4,597,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Kudos for looking before you leap...and VT isnt that far anyway!
You're right. Vermont is not that far away at all. Southern Vermont is a 4 hour car trip (plus or minus an hour depending on where your're going in NYC. It takes 4 1/2 - 5 hours to get to Brattleboro from Brooklyn. To and from Burlington is much longer by car, but only 1 1/2 hours by plane out of JFK, and the fare, I am told, is only about $50. Plus, there is a train that goes right from Essex Junction to Penn Station. It stops in downtown Brattleboro.

I've been researching my head off and I have been seriously decluttering in preparation for moving. I will know inside when it is time to take the bigger, more irrevocable steps. Probably soon, I hope.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:50 AM

319 posts, read 55,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Having recently spent a year in Kansas I wanted to mention a few things that you will never see again once you move to the midwest (not including Chicago): delis, bakeries, diners, bagels, seafood markets, produce markets, buttered rolls, pizza parlors (Pizza Hut yes), real Chinese food, any food delivery service after 9 pm, corner stores, family owned businesses (all franchise chains), NY sports teams on TV, street fairs, parades, the beach, beautiful autumn colors, big bridges.
On the positive side you'll also never see crowds or NY traffic jams.
Good things you'll see: stars, cool storms, wide open space, cowboys, good fried chicken and Mexican food.
You can tell I miss the NYC food more than anything. I'd pay 10 dollars for a buttered roll.
That's a tradeoff I'd be willing to make. Most of that stuff, I really don't even need. Not big on seafood, bagels, pizza, or chinese food. I never order delivery after 8pm. and I'm not too big on New York sports (considering this is a baseball town, and I hate baseball).

I do hear that that part of the country has good barbecue culture.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Status: "Limbaugh and his five square meals." (set 8 days ago)

546 posts, read 1,306,185 times
Local Vermonters can be really down on the "flatlanders", so if youy move up there...you had better blend in. NYC and environs is not the best word to mutter in Vermont.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Chicago is intriguing, as a place to move to, but isn't really expensive as well amy_cate? If you don't mind me asking.

not nearly as much of a ripoff slap in the face as nyc has become, nope. i'd like to be able to live in the city again, not pushed so far out in brooklyn, i may as well be in nj again... i can afford to do so in chicago - the apts i've seen are at least $500-600 less/month than i pay here with closer proximity to anything resembling a city. sorry, i really dislike where i live presently and am extremely bitter and disgruntled. guess it shows.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM

332 posts, read 1,046,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

it's segregated compared to nyc (really it's the black/white segregation that's most pronounced), but standard american city compared to most other places i've been. there are some *very* mixed neighborhoods (e.g. albany park, rogers park, hyde park, logan square), typically in outer areas that visitors would have no reason to stumble across.

keep in mind that part of this segregation isn't simply prejudice. chicago has pretty strong neighborhood identities, and in a good number of hoods the neighborhood identity centers around ethnicity. so a good part of it (at least for white/non-black segregation) is the classic case of people choosing to be around those of the same ethnicity, because they don't know english, it's familiar, family is there, etc.

as far as i know, it's only been a hostile issue in the mexican-ameican neighborhood of pilsen, which is not far from downtown (valuable location) and is staunchly "anti-gentrification" (read: anti-white. they harassed a white EMT friend of mine living there who makes about 18k per year. ironically, "pilsen" was czech community a century back).

as a general rule, folks of the "wrong" ethnicity are welcome to spend time in the ethnic hoods, (recommended to take advantage of the cuisine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post

my impression, and i believe a quick look at the data on this website, shows that chicago is still pretty cheap for a non-southern city of its size. from my visits to nyc, i'd say the biggest difference is in housing (and it is a big difference) and not so much daily expenses. if i weren't getting well-subsidized housing to go to school in nyc, i couldn't really justify leaving chicago this august.

my biggest grip is just that upper midwest winters are too insanely intolerable.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM

957 posts, read 3,161,846 times
Grew Up in Detroit
Lived in South for 17 years
I ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City