Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM

335 posts, read 1,435,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
that's the thing... you can't save here.

i LOVE the brattleboro food co-op!!!! my husband and i go there and stay at b&bs a few times a year. that downtown is so quaint and cute - i love it. i think that if i had to pick a city in vt area that i love the most it would be brattleboro. i could live there too.. we think that every time we visit we don't want to leave. we're both vegan so we love that co-op and lots of the restaurants in the area. my parents were big hippies and i guess i always feel at home in towns like brattleboro.
you should try out:
-"chicago diner". i'm not too crazy about it, but they do have some good items (fake meat stuff, soy milkshakes)
-i've heard "karen's" is pretty good
-"Rez's" (middle-eastern) and "clay oven" (indian), both downtown, have lunch buffets with a good selection of vegan stuff
-"soul food vegetarian" has some pretty decent stuff on the south side
-"hot doug's" (gourmet hot dog place) has a veggie dog that i think is vegan
-haven't really come across good chinese yet. i want to try this place called "happiness" on milwaukee avenue before i leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 02:10 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,458 times
I am for LA. Always loved LA, think of it as my 2nd home.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 PM

10 posts, read 51,743 times
Default Goodbye NYC

Yup. I'll be moving to San Fran. in a few weeks. I can't stand NYC anymore!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:43 PM

31 posts, read 91,655 times
Yep. Born and raised here, but I HATE it immensely!! Presently, I've lived in the suburbs for the past (nearly) fourteen years, but prior to that, I lived in The Bronx and worked in Manhattan. While I miss the Bronx of old, I don't miss working downtown, the crowds, the subways and "the attitude" (though, not everyone has it, but you know the ones that do!)

I've always wanted to live out West (specifically places like Colorado, or anywhere in the Rocky Mountain Region), but because I have absolutely no family out there, I am afraid to make that kind of a move..so instead, I obsess over some kind of compromise so that I can be out of New York, but live closer to family. Thought of PA for awhile, then upstate New York, then parts of New England (like Vermont, in particular)..and 'round and 'round I go! Can't seem to make up my mind about a good "substitute" to what I really want (mountains and city amenities in a country-like atmosphere-not too rural, not too urban). I don't drive (afraid to, plus can't afford it, anyway), so that limits my choices, too. Also have costs to consider (Saratoga Springs sounds lovely; younger sis is a half hour North of there, but too expensive on a single person's salary). Come to think of it, anything is too expensive on a single person's salary! ;-)

Anyway..so that is my dilemma. Glad to see I'm not the only "native" that can't stand where they live.

Jo

Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,055 times
and now "Bloomy" wants to do congestion pricing. That's great in one way, but it's also going to cause a lot of people from the burbs to park in the outer boroughs and take the train into Manhattan. So it will create more parking problems in the outer boroughs. They city gov't only cares about Manhattanites.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:18 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,055 times
I was just in Florida--it has it own problems but it's so much better than this place--even so-so places like Orlando are more liveable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGetOuttaHere View Post
Yep. Born and raised here, but I HATE it immensely!! Presently, I've lived in the suburbs for the past (nearly) fourteen years, but prior to that, I lived in The Bronx and worked in Manhattan. While I miss the Bronx of old, I don't miss working downtown, the crowds, the subways and "the attitude" (though, not everyone has it, but you know the ones that do!)

I've always wanted to live out West (specifically places like Colorado, or anywhere in the Rocky Mountain Region), but because I have absolutely no family out there, I am afraid to make that kind of a move..so instead, I obsess over some kind of compromise so that I can be out of New York, but live closer to family. Thought of PA for awhile, then upstate New York, then parts of New England (like Vermont, in particular)..and 'round and 'round I go! Can't seem to make up my mind about a good "substitute" to what I really want (mountains and city amenities in a country-like atmosphere-not too rural, not too urban). I don't drive (afraid to, plus can't afford it, anyway), so that limits my choices, too. Also have costs to consider (Saratoga Springs sounds lovely; younger sis is a half hour North of there, but too expensive on a single person's salary). Come to think of it, anything is too expensive on a single person's salary! ;-)

Anyway..so that is my dilemma. Glad to see I'm not the only "native" that can't stand where they live.

Jo

Old 07-21-2007, 08:32 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,381 times
Consider Brattleboro,VT. Major small town, in semi-rural area, with lots of amenities and transplanted New Yorkers. Very bohemian. There has been a lot of press about nudity there, but, from what I've been told, it has been blown way out of proportion. There is clean air, clean water, little crime, no hurricane danger. The only real threat is a nearby nuclear power plant, and how much of a threat it is is debated.

But the economy is tough. If you don't have professional skills, you will have a lot of trouble finding a job with a liveable wage. The cost of living is high. I live in Brooklyn, and the costs of health clubs, food, etc. is comparable to Brooklyn.

Also, outside a city, you will need to learn to drive to get around. I've read that Burlington has good public transportation, but not Brattleboro.

Burlington also has an airport, that can get you to JFK in 45 minutes. Brattleboro has a train every day to Penn Station.

If you learn to drive and if you acquire a trade or profession, then you will have a lot more flexibility in choosing where to live.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:47 PM

81 posts, read 615,441 times
I have had this love-hate relationship with New York for many years. I was born in the Bronx and moved to long Island in the mid-80s. Came back to the Bronx in the early 90s. I love the area I live in; however, it's too expensive to buy here. The houses are north of $600,000 for a small semi-attached house with a yard the size of a shoe box. It's absurd. Plus the school's are not good, so you spend even more money on private schools. It's just not worth it.

It's a great city and at times I can't imagine myself living anywhere else. However, I'm at the stage in my life where I want to start a family and NY just isn't the place. We're currently looking at homes in Connecticut. We figured it's a happy medium, as we have family and friends in Westchester, NJ, and PA. It's much different then NY and frankly...quite boring. However, life is what you make it. It's about quality of life for us. Plus...the city is still within driving distance if we want to come into NYCfor something.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:00 PM

319 posts, read 493,595 times
I think we all know somebody whose moved to Charlotte.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:53 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,556,746 times
lol, sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City