Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:20 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Bronx for most of my life but I really want to move. My husband and I are looking to buy our first home and we are appalled at the thought of paying 500k and up for the attached row houses that are typical of what is available in the Bronx.

Areas like Riverdale are even more expensive (out of our price range) and frankly we don't want to pay that much money for a home in the Bronx. These homes don't have front yards and the back yards are miniscule. The schools are lousy and of course there is always a housing project or shady neighborhood less than 5 blocks away from all of these supposedly "nice" areas in the Bronx.

It's the same story in Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island...any place halfway decent is ridiculously expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 10:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Like other people have mentioned, family and work responsibilities have kept me here. I'm open to moving to another city, but I'm afraid of running into the same problems that plague NYC. So cities like Miami, Chicago, San Francisco are probably out of the question.

I want to move to a city preferably because it would be less of an adjustment. I'm thinking a smaller city with a growing economy. What are places that fit this mold?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:29 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
One of the nice things about Vermont, at least in Brattleboro, is that there is a train downtown that goes straight to Penn Station.

Kind of like a New Yorker's unbilical chord.

Thanks for all the useful feedback, folks. This thread was about moving out of NYC, not specifically to Vermont. But I have a lot of good insights to work with.

INeedaChange, I really like the insight that "its the people who aren't worried at all who usually end up making a bad move". Now I feel better about my anxiety. I don't feel so much like an obsessive, fearful wuss. I feel smart and wise.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Like other people have mentioned, family and work responsibilities have kept me here. I'm open to moving to another city, but I'm afraid of running into the same problems that plague NYC. So cities like Miami, Chicago, San Francisco are probably out of the question.

I want to move to a city preferably because it would be less of an adjustment. I'm thinking a smaller city with a growing economy. What are places that fit this mold?

I thought that San Francisco was supposed to be fairly safe & nice? Have those gay guys moved on from owning antique stores to running street gangs?

Old 06-25-2007, 05:40 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I'm trying to get it together to move to Vermont. I've been thinking about this for a over a year, doing research (a lot of it on this website), visiting, learning before I leap.

But I also feel an internal resistance to leaving. I am a native, dyed in the wool New Yorker. Born and raised in Brooklyn. There is an attachment to NYC for me, in spite of my clearly articulated reasons for leaving. It is home.

I am held back, also, by fear. Apart from fearing the emotional stress of moving, I fear not fitting into the culture of my new location. I fear a sense of dislocation. I fear that I'll want to come back to NYC but won't be able to.

But you know what? Some of the threads on this NYC forum get pretty nasty and off-putting. Check out the Vermont forum and see how friendly and courteous the posts mostly are. There is very little of the hostility and/or vulgarity I find on several NYC threads.

That helps me stay on track. One of the many reasons I want to leave is to get away from the anger and hostility so prevalent in NYC.
Kudos for looking before you leap...and VT isnt that far anyway!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:14 AM

319 posts, read 493,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post

I'm looking for the same thing.

Personally I'm very interested in cities like Omaha Nebraska, Fargo ND, Kansas City MO, Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Your best bet when looking at northern cities is looking as far away from the Rust Belt (Upstate NY, PA, OH, MI, IN, IL) as possible.

The upper midwest is one of the few northern regions that is actually growing. Job growth is very good there right now, and people seem to be moving.

I'd also look at Denver but it seems the economic situation there is very unstable, boom/bust.. especially for tech jobs.

If the economy was actually decent in Upstate, I'd love to move to Buffalo. Love the snowy winters over there, and the Lake keeps summer temperatures cool in the hottest days.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I thought that San Francisco was supposed to be fairly safe & nice? Have those gay guys moved on from owning antique stores to running street gangs?
San Fran has its share of issues, it's overcrowded (a lot of homeless), a lot of the same economic/housing issues New York has as well.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 AM

203 posts, read 852,583 times
Having recently spent a year in Kansas I wanted to mention a few things that you will never see again once you move to the midwest (not including Chicago): delis, bakeries, diners, bagels, seafood markets, produce markets, buttered rolls, pizza parlors (Pizza Hut yes), real Chinese food, any food delivery service after 9 pm, corner stores, family owned businesses (all franchise chains), NY sports teams on TV, street fairs, parades, the beach, beautiful autumn colors, big bridges.
On the positive side you'll also never see crowds or NY traffic jams.
Good things you'll see: stars, cool storms, wide open space, cowboys, good fried chicken and Mexican food.
You can tell I miss the NYC food more than anything. I'd pay 10 dollars for a buttered roll.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:30 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
I have to smile at all these posts as we all seem to be looking for the perfect place when as Dorothy found out "there's no place LIKE home..." I too daydream of a farm in Vermont, an apt. overlooking Central Park, a ski chalet in the mountains of Provo, a ocean-swept shanty on the outer banks of Nantucket......ahhh, to be rich and rootless huh? I often tell my hubbie that when the retirement bell sounds, I'm turning in the house keys for a set of RV keys and we're traveling across the countryside like gypsies experiencing autumn in NE, winter in New Mexico, spring in the bluegrass' of Kentucky and summer on the backporch of our kid's house in upstate NY.....now that's a perfect year IMO.....

Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Smalltown
I hear you. Our dream is to sell up and just wander for a year or two. Or maybe more if we love it.

dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City