U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-31-2010, 01:37 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,763,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is just so silly.

She can take the 1050 and one of the "too small" 1 bedroom apartments or she can stay on a cot in the dormitory of the shelter.There is a clear and obvious choice.

She wants more choices ? That's just too funny.She is simply not in the position to expecting/demanding more choices.She is very lucky to have a choice that includes free rent.
Really! I'd grab that.

I know people working 2 jobs who have to settle for 3 people in a one-bedroom. This chick is getting it for free! How do I get that?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-31-2010, 04:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,040 times
Default This is What U Get For Depending On Governemt Handouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXExplorer View Post
I have found very little information on this NYC Work Advantage Program. I know it’s a limited source of aid for housing but I have heard of people going back to get another voucher after their 2 years are up.

How is the amount of the voucher determined?

I’m in need of info because my friend has a situation where she is in a shelter and was given one of these vouchers for about $1050 and told to find an apartment. The problem is that it’s a family of 3. An adult, 19 yr old and a new born. The only thing she can get with that is a 1bedroom & she does not want to sleep with her daughter and grandchild. She works but it’s against the program rules for any land lord to take other money other then the vouchers if they choose to rent to them. It’s not like section 8 where you pay a portion and they pay a portion I don’t think. If anyone can give me some insight on the program and if she has a chance at finding a 2 bedroom for that price please tell me where I should direct her to look. She has looked all over Brooklyn & Bronx. The program people even take her places but all the places they have taken her are ran down 1bedrooms that are too small for all of them to fit. She has never been in the situation before and understands that the shelter won’t really help her like they help everyone else because she is not on drugs. I think if her daughter was mature enough to be on her own they would help her daughter out more due to her being an uneducated baby mama.
This is what happens when u depend on government handouts to pay your rent. You will never get the size apartment you want or need unless you are prepared to pay for it yourself. I feel badly for your friend who is going through this situation with thousands of others with a section 8 voucher. Please be aware that all of these vouchers will eventually be discontinued. and there will be thousands of voucher holder homeless and on the street . Your friend will also have a hard time because most landlords stereotype voucher holders to be ignorant, undesireable and lazy and will not rent to her although she may find some slumlord rat infested walkup building in the Bronx which a landlord may rent to her because he cant find a working person to rent it. I wish your friend luck. I remember back in the early 90's when all of my friends were chasing Section 8 and welfare checks, I bought a condo on Central park west for only 115,000 which is now worth 1.2 million. I must mention that I am a Black woman from Harlem and had my first child at 18 and dropped out of high school and came from a poverty stricken home but always knew that government handouts will always let you down so I got my own.

mod cut: do not use red

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 08-02-2010 at 03:25 AM..

Unread 07-31-2010, 04:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,763,219 times
Good for you! You are an example of hope for everyone of every color and situation. (I really, really needed that right now!)

Unread 07-31-2010, 05:01 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,195,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
To be honest, it is not a little bit of rent. It is the average amount that one person can afford in the city with an average income. Most people tend to have more than one income to help pay rent. If she already has a job that she has been on for five years and she had to move to a shelter, I am not sure what else can be said. Maybe New York is not the place for her. To be honest being a life long New Yorker, I have never met anyone who pays 50 dollars for rent. That would appear to be someone who has section 8 and is not making any attempt to better their income. Or maybe one of the last vestiges of rent control but there are not that many rent contorl apartments left in the city.
Not to mention the fact that the 19 year old is an adult, not a minor child.

Couldn't the 19 year old apply for this as well since she is an adult? Get a daybed for the time being. Like others, I don't see the question here: if I was in a shelter and they offered me a 300 square foot studio for three people I'd take it to get out of the shelter environment.

Unread 07-31-2010, 08:28 PM

461 posts, read 1,022,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhousing riverview View Post
This is what happens when u depend on government handouts to pay your rent. You will never get the size apartment you want or need unless you are prepared to pay for it yourself. I feel badly for your friend who is going through this situation with thousands of others with a section 8 voucher. Please be aware that all of these vouchers will eventually be discontinued. and there will be thousands of voucher holder homeless and on the street . Your friend will also have a hard time because most landlords stereotype voucher holders to be ignorant, undesireable and lazy and will not rent to her although she may find some slumlord rat infested walkup building in the Bronx which a landlord may rent to her because he cant find a working person to rent it. I wish your friend luck. I remember back in the early 90's when all of my friends were chasing Section 8 and welfare checks, I bought a condo on Central park west for only 115,000 which is now worth 1.2 million. I must mention that I am a Black woman from Harlem and had my first child at 18 and dropped out of high school and came from a poverty stricken home but always knew that government handouts will always let you down so I got my own.
Wow...well said! Especially the bold part. I just hate when people use the "I'm poor" excuse to justify their short comings. And they try to use that to get the sympathy from people. I hate the fact that my tax dollars goes to support lazy, ignorant and quite frankly, undesirable people.

Unread 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,455 times
It's just disgusting, the amount of hate, discrimination, ignorance and all the stigma associated with these programs on not just this site but others as well.
I am currently in the shelter system in NY. I am a Working, Tax Paying, Citizen, so is my wife. We have 8 month twin boys and a two year old. Never had any assistance from any government program EVER. Yes we did get evicted, NO we are not Ghetto, and living off your credit cards, in a time of need,(say...a high risk pregnancy causing only one functional income) will give any one bad credit,and things can quickly spiral out of control... which is the case with more than just a few families in this country. So when i see landlords giving tips to each other on how to keep "The Program People" out of their neighborhoods, it just destroys my hope for number one finding a place with my $1316 voucher that isn't in a regentrified, safe and desireable neighborhood. and number two hope for these sort of stereo types. I have 'Locks' in my hair,(You call them Dreads, but i do not) the first thing people say when i go look at an aprtment is there is no smoking or drugs alllowed. GOOD I HAVE CHILDREN, I don't want those things in here either!!! I have the 30% income voucher, which means IT IS NOT FREE. IT IS NOT SECTION 8. IT IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT TO RENT WITHOUT PREGEDICE.

Unread 08-12-2010, 08:04 PM

461 posts, read 1,022,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobliv View Post
It's just disgusting, the amount of hate, discrimination, ignorance and all the stigma associated with these programs on not just this site but others as well.
I am currently in the shelter system in NY. I am a Working, Tax Paying, Citizen, so is my wife. We have 8 month twin boys and a two year old. Never had any assistance from any government program EVER. Yes we did get evicted, NO we are not Ghetto, and living off your credit cards, in a time of need,(say...a high risk pregnancy causing only one functional income) will give any one bad credit,and things can quickly spiral out of control... which is the case with more than just a few families in this country. So when i see landlords giving tips to each other on how to keep "The Program People" out of their neighborhoods, it just destroys my hope for number one finding a place with my $1316 voucher that isn't in a regentrified, safe and desireable neighborhood. and number two hope for these sort of stereo types. I have 'Locks' in my hair,(You call them Dreads, but i do not) the first thing people say when i go look at an aprtment is there is no smoking or drugs alllowed. GOOD I HAVE CHILDREN, I don't want those things in here either!!! I have the 30% income voucher, which means IT IS NOT FREE. IT IS NOT SECTION 8. IT IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT TO RENT WITHOUT PREGEDICE.
While you may not be "ghetto" as you say, your com-rads on public programs who are bad apples ruin it for the good ones. Now of THEM, landlords refuse to rent to subsidized people. Sucks for you but if you look at the BIGGER picture, it benefits the city and neighborhoods by flushing out the undesirables that created blight in the community.

Unread 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM

8,640 posts, read 8,328,098 times
Phobliv..trust me when I say I know that it sucks if you are a good person that has fallen on hard times and are lumped together with all the bad apples. I have had alot of my family on various programs at one time or another..so I know both sides of the issue. But the reality is...the city is arming the homeless with vouchers, and has let them loose on the city with promises to Landlords for all sorts of things. If you talk to those who have accepted subsidized tenants at one time or another, just about all of them have multiple horror stories.

What can I say...life ain't fair..but maybe due to the economy some Landlords are more desperate for tenants..so you may have some luck.

Unread 09-13-2010, 12:57 PM

9 posts, read 10,049 times
She should take the one bedroom and save her money for the year or 2. She could apply to the subsidized housing (Mitchell Lama ) or NYCHA in the interim. By the time the voucher is up she would have saved a tremendously and will be moving in to an apartment that is appropriately size.

Unread 10-24-2010, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,071 times
well the voucher is actually $1070 but they would only pay $1020 and since u r working monthly u will pay $50. which is not bad at all u are only paying $50 in rent reallly going specially the way the rent keeps going up yearly in new york . i currently have that program n i thank god that i was able to find a 2 bedroom for that amount. the good thing about everything is that u r put right on section 8 n will actually have the chance to later move to an apartment that is convenient for u and ur kids. alot of the landlords let u do side deals n others dont. i know this post is old but im writing this in case in the future somebody has ur same situation. i suggest that u take wat u r offfered with a 1070 voucher u wont really get anything biggger than one bedroom if u r lucky enough maybe a two. dont stress it in less than two years that the program will b over u will have ur section 8 or ur housing. right now im currently looking for three bedroom with section 8 hpd. wish yall luck n always appreciate wat u have u cant b choosy n picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City