Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 12,708 times

Advertisements

hi firstly, i wanted to say that i am traveling in NYC
i have a friend in manhattan and staying there as well
anyhow, my friend was busy and i was sightseeing the lower manhattan
and i was walking and it seemed like my arm hit someone else's arm
and i said excuse me and walked along
then this guys tapped me and showed me his
broken glasses and asking for 180 dollars

i was really frightened as he was a big guy with his friends...
now that i think of it.. it was obvious that lens of glasses cannot break from dropping 3 ft
but i was going crazy because i thought i really had to pay
and called my friend first
he said call the cops but when i called them, they say look for a cop around and that was it
and the conversation went o nfor like 10-20 minutes
and there was a cop, fortunately, patrolling and when i went to talk to him
then the guys disappeared...

and when i asked my friend i heard this was pretty common for a traveler..

although i tried to avoid looking like a traveler but i guess i still look like one...

hmm i was wondering if others had similar incident
and also what other things would people do to do if i look vulnerable
i would like to know in advance so i wouldnt be so frightened at the moment

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
That's the notorious "broken glasses scam" and they've been targeting NYers and tourists for awhile with this one.

Here is a list of some others.
Crafty scammers still using age-old ploys to fleece New Yorkers, tourists

Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 PM

aww
yeah, i just found that out
that is very smart
fortunate that police car was patrolling by
thank you very much

Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by you9275 View Post
aww
yeah, i just found that out
that is very smart
fortunate that police car was patrolling by
thank you very much
You're welcome. Congratulations on not falling for the scam. That was your achievement, and yes, it was also lucky the cop was nearby. Enjoy the rest of your visit.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You're welcome. Congratulations on not falling for the scam. That was your achievement, and yes, it was also lucky the cop was nearby. Enjoy the rest of your visit.
yep again thank you

any othre scams besides in the website that you know of?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,186 times
Yeah I remember watching that one about the broken bottle scam on tv. The average new yorker wouldn't fall for these types of scams. The cons try it on tourists and in the case of the lottery ticket scams immigrants who can barely speak english.

You always have to be aware of your surroundings especially in crowded areas when somebody approaches you for whatever reason like asking for directions to distract your while his accomplice pickpockets you.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:43 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Yup, sounds like a scam.

It's not a matter of trying not to look like a traveler----its a matter of looking like a New Yorker!!! Generally, difficult for non-NYers.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,327 times
AGreed and for God's sake, don't walk around with maps....Uggggg. makes me crazy. If you get on the subway watch for the same thing. My dad is a city cop and we were always told to put a thick rubberband around our wallets if we kept it in our pockets. Then you can feel if someone tries to slide it out

Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Somebody tried to pull that on me walking along Bryant Park, a tall black male. He of course blamed me for breaking his glasses and demanded $20 and to "follow him to get it fixed." Who knows where the heck he would have taken me. I laughed and told him to scram...he said he would call the cops...I said don't worry..I will call them for him. He subsequently moved on to some other victim.

The scam is alive and well in the tourist areas..and I still see these guys hunting for victims..glasses in hand.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:14 PM

425 posts, read 958,596 times
Yeah, some people really need to get a "day job" that they can ***** about all week long, but be proud of knowing they are no longer a parasite on society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: