U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 PM

65 posts, read 426,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It has been patented and trademarked...everytime you use it you have to pay me $100 bucks. Please send the check payable to "SobroGuy". Thank you.
That's highway robbery, man. At least give him a "City-Data" discount of 10%. LOL. I enjoy watching you two go back and forth.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 PM

8,749 posts, read 16,687,840 times
Well if you don't keep things somewhat interesting or if we all agreed on everything this site would be renamed Snooze-city.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM

5,680 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Where I live there are no Irish or Albanians so I can't speak on that. I never heard of that Irish gang although I have heard of A.B.I. I'm assuming that if the Trinitarios are beefing with the Irish...then it's either way up in the north Bronx or way up in Upper Manhattan. Trinitarios main rivals everywhere else are DDP and Latin Kings, aswell as Bloods, ABK, and La Familia in some other hoods.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,930,176 times
I really wonder how, with the way the Trinitarios carry their machetes, they don't wind up Sopranos...

(sorry. carry on with the serious discussion)

Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 AM

8,830 posts, read 21,381,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Yeah thats true, but I went to school with some as well, when theres large groups of them, they tend to try a 'hostile take over' of schools and neighorhoods.
Coolchris,it sounds like YOU might have a bit of a problem with Albanians , which I guess would make sense since you started this thread.

Ironically(or perhaps not),you also started a thread a week or so ago asking about Pelham Parkway.I told you it's a great neighborhood but if you have any kind of problem at all with Albanians it's definitely not a neighborhood for you because it has more Albanians than any neighborhood in NYC. Albanians own most of the apartment buildings and businesses in the neighborhood and the Albanian language is commonly heard on Lydig Ave and White Plains Rd.

There wasn't a "hostile take over" of the neighborhood.They tend moved into Italian neighborhoods because they have so much in common with Italians.Their cultures are very similar,they share many physical characteristics and they share the Catholic church.The Italians don't view the influx of Albanians as an invasion at at all.

Albania is only 45 miles from Italy so you can imagine how much intermingling there has been over the centuries.In many ways they are almost the same people.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM

23,681 posts, read 37,909,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Lydig Avenue
do you know the correct pronunciation of the name? its a street i am very familiar with in the bronx, but thank god i havent had to say it yet. i guess you do since you live in the area now.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
do you know the correct pronunciation of the name? its a street i am very familiar with in the bronx, but thank god i havent had to say it yet. i guess you do since you live in the area now.
Lie- Dig.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 PM

6,836 posts, read 13,503,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Coolchris,it sounds like YOU might have a bit of a problem with Albanians , which I guess would make sense since you started this thread.

Ironically(or perhaps not),you also started a thread a week or so ago asking about Pelham Parkway.I told you it's a great neighborhood but if you have any kind of problem at all with Albanians it's definitely not a neighborhood for you because it has more Albanians than any neighborhood in NYC. Albanians own most of the apartment buildings and businesses in the neighborhood and the Albanian language is commonly heard on Lydig Ave and White Plains Rd.

There wasn't a "hostile take over" of the neighborhood.They tend moved into Italian neighborhoods because they have so much in common with Italians.Their cultures are very similar,they share many physical characteristics and they share the Catholic church.The Italians don't view the influx of Albanians as an invasion at at all.

Albania is only 45 miles from Italy so you can imagine how much intermingling there has been over the centuries.In many ways they are almost the same people.
every albanian i met was muslim

Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 AM

16,231 posts, read 19,967,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
every albanian i met was muslim
I agree. I met many Albanians and most tend to be muslim. The balkan penninsula has a funny history and it took much influences from greece italy and turkey during the middle ages. Turks probably have the biggest influences on the albanians by introducing them to islam and making them an ally against both greeks byzantines and italian venetians and genoans. This can been seen during the year 1453 fall of constantinople many of the turkish fighters were Albanian jannisary who fought agaisnt greek and italian defenders of the city. The turks and their allys like albanians won. Today many albanians try to replicate either greek or italian.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree. I met many Albanians and most tend to be muslim. The balkan penninsula has a funny history and it took much influences from greece italy and turkey during the middle ages. Turks probably have the biggest influences on the albanians by introducing them to islam and making them an ally against both greeks byzantines and italian venetians and genoans. This can been seen during the year 1453 fall of constantinople many of the turkish fighters were Albanian jannisary who fought agaisnt greek and italian defenders of the city. The turks and their allys like albanians won. Today many albanians try to replicate either greek or italian.
While I agree that there are lots of Muslim Albanians,especially in Albania, it is not as simple as you think at all.

If anything,Albanians consider both Christianity and Islam to be "foreign" influences and they are beholden to neither.The largest group in Albania actually has a weird religion of their own that is a hybrid of the two.They tend to adapt and change with the political winds.Religous pragmatism more than anything else.

Until recently,the Moslems were definitely in control in Albania as the ruling elite BUT that is exactly why the majority of Albanians who fled to the U.S. were Christian( mostly catholic).They were Catholics fleeing persecution by Moslems and it is one of the factors that allowed so many into the US. So while there might even be more Moslems than Christians in Albania,more Christian than moslem Albanians have come to the U.S.
Whether you encounter Christian or Moslem Albanians here in NY might also depend on what part of Albania they come from( Albania itself,Kosovo,
Macedoni,Montenegro,etc.

In any event,the Albanians in my neighborhood( Pelham Parkway),which has the first and now still the largest Albanian community in the U.S. seem to be quite Christian as far as I can see and tend to send their kids to the catholic schools and go to the Italian and Greek churches although I do see some that appear to be moslem.They are also rather involved in near worship of Mother Theresa,had a section of Lydig Avenue changed to " Mother Theresa way" and talk about building a big Albanian Catholic church in the neighborhood and having the Pope come for the dedication.LOL. A lot of dreaming I am sure and maybe just another case of religious pragmatism.

Religion is a very complicated subject with Albanians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or