Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM

506 posts, read 1,312,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post

New York Attitude. Is there really such a thing? Perhaps this photo, captured in Soho, one of New York City’s busiest shopping districts, can teach you the delicate subtleties of time-honored New York attitude. Do you see those two New Yorkers conversing in the foreground of this photo? You can’t miss them. They are standing smack-dab in the middle of a busy sidewalk, forcing passerbys to scrape their tender sun-burned bodies against stone walls and iron grating in an effort to pass. The already tight boundaries of this walkway are made thinner still by the akwardly placed newsstand that these two gentlemen are standing in front of. Yet, like the true Masters of Attitude they are, they proudly carry on in conversation, undismayed by the inconvenience they have created. Yes, be amazed! This, my friends, is classic New York Attitude!

By the way, if you look in the background you will see two trainees, young Jedi apprentices if you will, who are learning the art of New York Attitude. How touching it is to see the skills of the master passed on to the new generation . . . Viewers at home, please remember that these are trained professionals. Please do not try New York Attitude at home without proper supervision and training.
I guess the tourists learn quickly because they stop and gum up the sidewalk the moment they get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM

420 posts, read 768,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
A REAL NYC attitude would have 'accidentally' smashed into one of the talkers to give them a subtle hint to stop blocking the sidewalk!

Haha, that's what I do... and I'm not even from NY

Old 08-05-2010, 03:35 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,598 times
People pull that crap in every city. I just walk between them.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Perfect!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Here's NY attitude...I was visiting, I walked in and out of beautiful Madison Ave shops....as I left 1 I said "Thank you" the lady in the shop said "FOR WHAT?????"

Old 08-05-2010, 06:50 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Strange people? Who are strange people? People in Manhattan are too busy going about their own business to look at or care about "strange people".

Born, raised, and spent the first 26 years of my life in Manhattan; as such, I probably AM one of those "strange people".

Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanD80 View Post
If you're a proud child of NYC how come you think that's SoHo? That's near Washington Square Park in the VILLAGE. SMH.

My guess is those 2 guys are tourists. Probably here on business. Seems like they are always the ones cluelessly clogging up the sidewalk. The passerbys are just being nice by moving around them, even though we all want to tell them how rude they are for blocking the sidewalk when we are on our way to work!
Tourists? Seriously?

Maybe an off chance the 2 in the background but I doubt it, the 2 up front by the newsstand don't look at all like tourists to me.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:31 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davante View Post
New York City has class, not attitude. Speaking of rudeness, listen closely; the natives from New York are NOT rude; it's the people born outside of New York City that's rude. There's a difference.
I don't know about that. NYC was known to be the rudest city in the 70's to the 90's. I experience more rudness back then in the 80's and 90's. Not so much these days. And in those days the city was full of 'Native' New Yorkers. Now there are too many people from all over the world and other states plus the more millions of tourists clogging Manhattan and some other boroughs. I think that the politeness to the city has been brought here in the last few years of gentrification. I also believe that the events of 9/11 brought more unity within Native New Yorkers and friendliness too. But before that, there was a lot more rudeness around.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 PM

963 posts, read 2,301,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Im confused if you were born in queens how could u be a wannabe nyer.
We common folk from the five boroughs have always considered Manhattan "the city." I often remember driving across the 59th Street Bridge into Manhattan on a Saturday night to catch a movie and always admiring the pricey high-rise apartments along 57th street that had wall to ceiling windows and no shades. To me that was the ultimate. To live in a ultra-expensive high rise apartment that had such great looking furniture that you never put shades on the windows. I often wondered if those people ever had the urge to walk around in their undies and not shave or go without makeup like we do in Queens. Of course, in Queens everybody had shades on their windows. As you can see, I was younger and much more impressionable then. Manhattan was always exciting to me and still is. I have lost my desire to live there however. I prefer sleeping in quieter environs now.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
When they get bumped a little too hard, they will move. So what's the big deal? I am supposed to believe that in Poho, Middle America people don't stand in the middle of the walkway in the mall with a double decker stroller talking to people while they block/inconvenience others? Or 2 pickups are double parked on a single lane road talking about catfishing techniques while they block the road for others?

This thread is silly. Now do an expose on middle America..oh wait..that's been done already Funny Pictures at WalMart
I'm from the Midwest and I've never seen anyone blocking any paths. I've also never heard anyone talking about catfishing techniques. And believe me, people in the Midwest REALLY resent New Yorkers, we find ways to insult them whenever the topic comes up.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,299 times
New Yorkers are mean and nasty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: