U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 PM

22 posts, read 55,645 times

Advertisements

Hello, In order to distinguish my post from millions more like it:

I HAVE A JOB IN THE CITY.

I am a single 25 year old female, caucasian but look mixed.

I am looking for some recommendations of neighborhoods to live (or those which to stay away from: unsafe). I work all over the city everyday, and have to bring a heavy amount of gear with me. So being close to the train is crucial.

It dosen't have to be hip, or whatever. I've been to the city many times so I'm familar with many parts. Open to other boros besides MNH.

As long as its safe, close to the train. Looking for like-minded people (fellow artists) if possible. Not too expensive (YES i know this is NYC) and am open to roommates.

Any info is helpful

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 PM

343 posts, read 559,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisethe7seas View Post
Hello, In order to distinguish my post from millions more like it:

I HAVE A JOB IN THE CITY.

I am a single 25 year old female, caucasian but look mixed.

I am looking for some recommendations of neighborhoods to live (or those which to stay away from: unsafe). I work all over the city everyday, and have to bring a heavy amount of gear with me. So being close to the train is crucial.

It dosen't have to be hip, or whatever. I've been to the city many times so I'm familar with many parts. Open to other boros besides MNH.

As long as its safe, close to the train. Looking for like-minded people (fellow artists) if possible. Not too expensive (YES i know this is NYC) and am open to roommates.

Any info is helpful

Thanks

What is your income?? Use this as a gauge below. And remember, what you earn will determine the type of neighborhood you live in. The cheaper the median income of the neighborhood.... well... you know the rest. That should put it all into perspective as far as safety.

Neighborhoods you could comfortably live if you made this much (amenities will match your income):

$100-150k = Upper West Side, Midtown West, Chelsea, Upper East Side, Downtown BK, Financial District, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Riverdale

$70-90K = Inwood/Hudson Heights (west of broadway North of 181); Astoria, Williamsburg, Lower East Side, The Village, Grammercy, Murray Hill, Morningside Heights/Columbia Area, Bayside, Flushing

$45-60K = Astoria, Forest Hills, Jackson Heights, West Harlem (below 125), Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, Crown Heights, Morris Park, Pelham Parkway, Co-Op City, Rochdale, Rego Park, Ditmas Park, Midwood, East Flatbush, Canarsie, Kingsbridge Heights, Ridgewood, Sunnyside

$30-45K = Jamaica, South Jamaica, Melrose, Morrisania, Upper Grand Concourse, Norwood, All North East Bronx Neighborhoods on the 2/5 Lines above Allerton Avenue, Hamilton Heights, Washington Heights, Bedford Park, Botanic Garden, East Elmhurst, Corona

Below 30K = East New York, Brownsville, South Jamaica, Hunts Point, Foxhurst, Mott Haven, South Bronx, Upper Harlem (140s), Morris Heights, Fordham, Ocean Hill.

And of course there are some blurring of the lines... not exact.. but something to go from to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City