Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Thank you I was beginning to think everyone is forgetting about this. Some people are getting on this young person, but at least he has the good sense to get a union job, and he's ready to fight for it.
But that's exactly the point. People are getting on him because he's bragging about his good union job while carrying the political flag for people who will make sure nobody else has the same opportunity.

And because he's confrontational and obnoxious.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
But that's exactly the point. People are getting on him because he's bragging about his good union job while carrying the political flag for people who will make sure nobody else has the same opportunity.

And because he's confrontational and obnoxious.
I know that, he's young and he doesn't understand how the world works, and he believes what he hears, or believes it because it is written down somewhere.

But what about the millions of people that have been subjected to these working conditions all over the country, if they still have a job, and actually voted against all these having all these benefits, for themselves and their families. People post against these benefits right here on the NYC forums. Some of the same people that want everybody to pay thousands in rent every month.

If if were not for the fact that they have to actually have structural iron work done on site, they would have shipped that job over seas years ago, and paid someone, somewhere, practically nothing to do it.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:35 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Oh yes, plenty of people do. Theres plenty of Indian Ironworkers in the city locals. My local is at least 25-30% Indian. I know plenty of them, theyre pretty nice, guys. They come down and stay in the city during the week and head up to the reservation on weekends. Why did you bring this up though? Google much?
Nope, I actually learned about the Mohawks while doing my job. And I brought it up because it appears that you have a big conservative fan base and I like to remind them that people of color contribute to our society. We aren't all welfare queens.

Have you considered yoga? I'm worried about your blood pressure.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:37 PM

65 posts, read 460,954 times
Quote:
I know that, he's young and he doesn't understand how the world works, and he believes what he hears, or believes it because it is written down somewhere.

But what about the millions of people that have been subjected to these working conditions all over the country, if they still have a job, and actually voted against all these having all these benefits, for themselves and their families. People post against these benefits right here on the NYC forums. Some of the same people that want everybody to pay thousands in rent every month.

If if were not for the fact that they have to actually have structural iron work done on site, they would have shipped that job over seas years ago, and paid someone, somewhere, practically nothing to do it.
Well, if he's so young... Why are you all ganging up on him like that? I mean, jesus christ. Also I don't know about all of that, I know the unions are for the Dems, but thats also for publicity stunts as well, they do as the Union reps tell them too. I'm against most unions like the teachers unions and other un-needed unions, but some are essential. I disagree with many of your points on here. It seems nobody knows how to debate anymore, it gets stupid and childish, making petty remarks about eachother, and you say he's young. How old are the rest of you then? You claim your old and wise, I see the rest of you making stupid, dumb, hateful remarks about somebody you don't even know, how would you know whos a racist, homophobe, violent, etc. from words they type on a computer? Wouldn't you call somebody that you actually know well? I mean this is really foolish. Your all being quite childish.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:

But isn't that the great conundrum. Why does a housewife of 3 in Rural West Virginia care more about Terrorist attacks in NYC then she does about safety conditions of the mines her husband works in.

Ever since the evangelicals took over the Republican party they have been beating into their followers that to stray from the party is the same as straying from the flock. That liberal political leanings are tantamount to devil worship. It was a very effective strategy and it still serves them well. If you look thru out human history a policital party of ANY stripe can remain strong as long as it preys upon the stupid.

The question then becomes, Whose fault is that? Is it the fault of the naive and gullible for being so easily swayed, or the fault of the opposing party for not being just as effective at propaganda.

Personally, I think Americans deserve who they vote into office. And if Americans are stupid, and vote stupid people into office, then they deserve to have stupid things happen to them.

I mean, look at Chris on this very forum. He is obviously very stupid. He benefits from liberal policies (disability, union wages) all the while decrying liberal politics. He claims homophobia is defensible because of his religion, but chooses to ignore those aspects of his religion that would prohibit HIS behavior (like knocking out people's teeth).

It's like I said before, eventually these people's votes will bite them in the ass (see: hispanic republican voters in Arizona). To use Chris as an example, he is an uneducated, belligerent, and currently injured man. One day he will get the people he champions into office, and then all his "liberal" benefits will go away. Then he will change his tune. He has been on disability for 2 months, but if his political heroes were in charge, then he would be diables and HOMELESS for the last 2 months. How can you argue with that type of stupidity? Better to let it run it's course.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreatness555 View Post
Well, if he's so young... Why are you all ganging up on him like that? I mean, jesus christ. Also I don't know about all of that, I know the unions are for the Dems, but thats also for publicity stunts as well, they do as the Union reps tell them too. I'm against most unions like the teachers unions and other un-needed unions, but some are essential. I disagree with many of your points on here. It seems nobody knows how to debate anymore, it gets stupid and childish, making petty remarks about eachother, and you say he's young. How old are the rest of you then? You claim your old and wise, I see the rest of you making stupid, dumb, hateful remarks about somebody you don't even know, how would you know whos a racist, homophobe, violent, etc. from words they type on a computer? Wouldn't you call somebody that you actually know well? I mean this is really foolish. Your all being quite childish.
40 hour work, overtime, sick pay, paid vacation time. It seems like only the unions are interested in the average worker having these things. It seems that companies are not interested in giving these benefits anymore, unless forced to do so by the unions.

I think many people that are union workers, also have conservative views, but many don't know what true conservative views are. That it is more than family values. That true conservatism is against these things as well as welfare, and subsidized housing.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

The question then becomes, Whose fault is that? Is it the fault of the naive and gullible for being so easily swayed, or the fault of the opposing party for not being just as effective at propaganda.

Personally, I think Americans deserve who they vote into office. And if Americans are stupid, and vote stupid people into office, then they deserve to have stupid things happen to them.

I mean, look at Chris on this very forum. He is obviously very stupid. He benefits from liberal policies (disability, union wages) all the while decrying liberal politics. He claims homophobia is defensible because of his religion, but chooses to ignore those aspects of his religion that would prohibit HIS behavior (like knocking out people's teeth).

It's like I said before, eventually these people's votes will bite them in the ass (see: hispanic republican voters in Arizona). To use Chris as an example, he is an uneducated, belligerent, and currently injured man. One day he will get the people he champions into office, and then all his "liberal" benefits will go away. Then he will change his tune. He has been on disability for 2 months, but if his political heroes were in charge, then he would be diables and HOMELESS for the last 2 months. How can you argue with that type of stupidity? Better to let it run it's course.

Yeah but then everyone suffers with them, because most people don't have a few billion in the bank to tide them over when they are home with an injury, or laid off, or have no health insurance.

It won't run it's course. Once something is law it is hard to get rid off. Like Social Security. Some people think it is not necessary, that their own investments are enough, when for the average person, it will be the only check that they receive for the last years of their lives. Savings usually don't last through retirement for more than 90% of the population that saved for retirement.

But whether a person thinks it is necessary or not it is law, and not easy to rid of.

So just reverse that if more of these things get put into law. Try bringing back the 40 hour work week, paid vacations, and paid sick days. See how easy it will be.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM

65 posts, read 460,954 times
Quote:
40 hour work, overtime, sick pay, paid vacation time. It seems like only the unions are interested in the average worker having these things. It seems that companies are not interested in giving these benefits anymore, unless forced to do so by the unions.

I think many people that are union workers, also have conservative views, but many don't know what true conservative views are. That it is more than family values. That true conservatism is against these things as well as welfare, and subsidized housing.
I understand that. Sometimes I consider myself as an "Old School Democrat", anyone know what that means? Anyway, I agree with you on that. I'm a retired NYPD and a Republican, I voted for John McCain, I was actually hoping a guy like Mike Huckabee or Mitt Romney would have made it, but hey there is always 2012. The only news station I watch is FOX News, the only one that tells the TRUTH. Ever wonder, why it kills MSNBC and CNN combined? I have democrat friends and we can debate all night, in a respectful manner. The ones I can't take is the liberals, they are not respectful at all. I am against welfare and subsidized housing 100%. Aren't you? Why should some young smuck, who doesn't wanna work get to live in the same type of apartment as I do? I don't think thats fair at all. There used to be a few in my old building, they were all young kids(bums) who had no reason at all for not working other then that they were lazy losers, so they slept everyday until 1 in the afternoon, got WIC checks and bought a bag of weed, and smoked in the park all night with their boys, keeping the good working people up, then they eventually went inside to sleep around 4 am and woke up at 1 pm to the repeat it all over again, sounds fun hey?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM

36 posts, read 93,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
Well, first of all, almost two thirds of New Yorkers are immigrants/children of immigrants. Their cultural/political views do not necessarily fit the American padarigm. Many immigrant cultures are quite homophobic, for example, but can hardly be called "socially conservative" in the American sense of the term.

Yes, black middle class Baptists might be close to what the thread starter may have had in mind, but if he's not black, you may have an even bigger culture clash.

If his conservatism is of a Dallas/Atlanta white suburbanite variety, there's really not a lot of that sort of thing in New York City. White Catholics are his best bet and yes, there are still plenty of old-school Italians left in southern Brooklyn but especially on Staten Island.
Are these Italians more of the culturally Catholic sort of conservatives or are they actually truly devout?

What I do want to avoid is an area where there are a lot of same-sex couples (I know that may not be a popular sentiment, but it is what it is), drug use, in-your-face sexuality, etc. I also know that there are a lot of liberal suburban neighborhoods in Connecticut and LI that, though electorally liberal, do not have same-sex couples, wild youth, drugs, etc. I care about electoral politics, but more than that I care about cultural sensibilities.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:00 PM

141 posts, read 352,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
In other words, in which parts of New York will be not feel isolated and overwhelmed by liberalism? Does this even exist?
With all due respect, this quotation I've excerpted is a bit.....open to interpretation. By "overwhelmed by liberalism," do you mean just the sight of people or things that don't meet your 'aesthetic' political/visual criteria? i.e.:same sex couples, free clinics, democratic clubs, mixed couples, etc.
Or do you mean an environment where those around you are likely to be neighbors you'd actually spend time with? You may want to consider gated communities. Don't know what the frequency is of these in the NYC area, (Westchester County has some for sure).
You should be prepared to live in an environment surrounded by the proverbial 'barbarians' if you really have your mind set on being in NYC. Though, honestly, I can't imagine you'd turn down a hand shake and a 'hello' from someone just because they're not of your political persuasion. Believe it or not, there are decent folks among those you may disagree with.
The notion of New York as "liberal" is true, but this doesn't always extend into the realm of neighborly interaction and local environmental requirements. Despite opinions to the contrary, NYC is, for the most part, quite American in most respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City