Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreatness555 View Post
I understand that. Sometimes I consider myself as an "Old School Democrat", anyone know what that means? Anyway, I agree with you on that. I'm a retired NYPD and a Republican, I voted for John McCain, I was actually hoping a guy like Mike Huckabee or Mitt Romney would have made it, but hey there is always 2012. The only news station I watch is FOX News, the only one that tells the TRUTH. Ever wonder, why it kills MSNBC and CNN combined? I have democrat friends and we can debate all night, in a respectful manner. The ones I can't take is the liberals, they are not respectful at all. I am against welfare and subsidized housing 100%. Aren't you? Why should some young smuck, who doesn't wanna work get to live in the same type of apartment as I do? I don't think thats fair at all. There used to be a few in my old building, they were all young kids(bums) who had no reason at all for not working other then that they were lazy losers, so they slept everyday until 1 in the afternoon, got WIC checks and bought a bag of weed, and smoked in the park all night with their boys, keeping the good working people up, then they eventually went inside to sleep around 4 am and woke up at 1 pm to the repeat it all over again, sounds fun hey?
If you were a true old school democrat, then you would disagree with Chris's statement on homosexuality. Specifically that the government has no right to interfere in the personal and contractual relationships that 2 private citizens enter into? Correct?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM

65 posts, read 461,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
Are these Italians more of the culturally Catholic sort of conservatives or are they actually truly devout?

What I do want to avoid is an area where there are a lot of same-sex couples (I know that may not be a popular sentiment, but it is what it is), drug use, in-your-face sexuality, etc. I also know that there are a lot of liberal suburban neighborhoods in Connecticut and LI that, though electorally liberal, do not have same-sex couples, wild youth, drugs, etc. I care about electoral politics, but more than that I care about cultural sensibilities.
I'm Italian American, I would say we are a very religious people, TRULY DEVOUT. Just like the Irish and Hispanics. We were brought up like that, many of us attend church weekly. Theres plenty of Italian American churches in NYC, where I live in the Bronx in Belmont aka Little Italy, theres 3 Italian churches within a 20 block radius, we share it with the large Puerto Rican community in the neighborhood. We are both truly devout Catholics.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
If you were a true old school democrat, then you would disagree with Chris's statement on homosexuality. Specifically that the government has no right to interfere in the personal and contractual relationships that 2 private citizens enter into? Correct?
You obviously don't know what 'Old School Democrat' means. Let me enlighten you ; It means "Conservative Democrat. Most are against, gay marriage, so no you are NOT correct. It just means you share views of both parties, yet you lean towards more Conservative views. You are for the working class, family values, GOOD education, a very strong military, a small government is GOOD, etc etc.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:08 PM

36 posts, read 93,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Why are you looking to move to NYC if you are anti-gay, anti-choice etc etc etc? Is there an impetus for the move? Job changing? Being closer to family?

The reason I ask is that NYC is a hard place to live period, especially if you were not born and raised there. It can be made even harder if you are a particularly hateful person that can't stand to have neighbors with opposing viewpoints. If you are just looking for a change of scenery, you could move down the road to Colorado Springs, as most of the population there is particularly close minded and will perhaps be a better match for you?

NYC just has too many people with too many opposing view points. You could say that the city is "liberal" just b/c of voting record, but the truth is that "liberal" is a weasel word. It doesn't really describe anything. The average New Yorker will be surrounded, in WHATEVER neighborhood, by many opposing view points, both "liberal" and "conservative" and if you aren't thick skinned enough to have a Gay Married Couple living next door to you (and vice versa a parochial evangelical living next door to you) then you need to find someplace else to settle down in.

If you are moving to NYC b/c you like the culture or want to experience the "lifestyle" (I am just guessing b/c your name is cowtown), then you need to accept the fact that one of the things that makes NYC such a great city is the fact that it is a huge melting pot of individuals. A person such as yourself who is so homophobic that they will actually sign onto a message board and say "i want to live in NYC, but i can't STAND the idea of living next to a few people who may support gay marriage" is not exactly going to feel welcome in the city, regardless of what neighborhood they live in. No matter where you live in NYC you will find some "liberals" and "conservatives". In NYC your friends often don't live next to you. You will easily be able to find fellow homophobic, anti-choice isolationists. It's just that you may have to take a subway if you want to visit with them.

That's why America has "cowtowns", CowtownCO. So that you can live in a rather homogenous enviornment where eveyrone agrees with you and no one shakes your fragile world view. Urban areas are the opposite of that. If you are looking for that homogenous political living experience, stay in the Cowtowns, and leave the urban areas alone.
I have no problem with neighbors who disagree me, even on important, controversial issues. What I want to avoid is an area where we are overwhelmed with liberal values, views, politics, lifestyles, and attitudes. I don't necessarily want to live in an echo chamber, but I do want to live in a place where I can find a significant number of people who share my core convictions. What concerns me about New York is that I will have toruble in most parts of the area finding those like-minded people.

Hopefully you're honest enough to appreciate the fact that liberals can be (and I think often are) even more bigoted and intolerant than conservatives. If you're a liberal and your values are extremely important to you, a place like Colorado Springs (or parts of Denver) would be very hard to live in. I just want to avoid being isolated.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
I have no problem with neighbors who disagree me, even on important, controversial issues. What I want to avoid is an area where we are overwhelmed with liberal values, views, politics, lifestyles, and attitudes. I don't necessarily want to live in an echo chamber, but I do want to live in a place where I can find a significant number of people who share my core convictions. What concerns me about New York is that I will have toruble in most parts of the area finding those like-minded people.

Hopefully you're honest enough to appreciate the fact that liberals can be (and I think often are) even more bigoted and intolerant than conservatives. If you're a liberal and your values are extremely important to you, a place like Colorado Springs (or parts of Denver) would be very hard to live in. I just want to avoid being isolated.
There are conservatives in the area. At the top of the socioeconomic scale you'll find some economic conseratives but few social conservatives. Among the blue collar population you're more likely to find social conservatives. But the area is largely left of center and you may well feel isolated.

As for liberals being "bigoted and intolerant," it seems thin-skinned conservatives believe not agreeing with them is "intolerant." It's not intolerant to voice a disagreement on the issues.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:13 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Quote:
I understand that. Sometimes I consider myself as an "Old School Democrat", anyone know what that means? Anyway, I agree with you on that. I'm a retired NYPD and a Republican, I voted for John McCain, I was actually hoping a guy like Mike Huckabee or Mitt Romney would have made it, but hey there is always 2012. The only news station I watch is FOX News, the only one that tells the TRUTH. Ever wonder, why it kills MSNBC and CNN combined? I have democrat friends and we can debate all night, in a respectful manner. The ones I can't take is the liberals, they are not respectful at all. I am against welfare and subsidized housing 100%. Aren't you? Why should some young smuck, who doesn't wanna work get to live in the same type of apartment as I do? I don't think thats fair at all. There used to be a few in my old building, they were all young kids(bums) who had no reason at all for not working other then that they were lazy losers, so they slept everyday until 1 in the afternoon, got WIC checks and bought a bag of weed, and smoked in the park all night with their boys, keeping the good working people up, then they eventually went inside to sleep around 4 am and woke up at 1 pm to the repeat it all over again, sounds fun hey?
I added the bold because I did not want to take your words out of context. I think what upsets liberals like myself is that CoolChris lives in a rent stabilized apartment with his grandfather (subsidized by folks who pay higher market rent), takes disability payments, enjoys union benefits and then complains about how liberal values have ruined New York. He would be living a very different life without the benefits of liberalism.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Excellent points. I would LOVE for more people like you to move to New York. I hope you do realize that most of New Yorkers that were born and raised here, are Conservatives. Most of these Liberals come from out of state, they don't represent us at all. I hope you feel welcome in where-ever you come in New York, you should NOT be discriminated against because of your political views, especially by people we consider "visitors" to this city. They are begining to feel a little to welcome here, take it from a real NYer, we are good, down to earth people, most of us have real lives and won't get upset with you for your political views in the first place. Enjoy the city.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:

I could understand that point of view, which is why I honestly was puzzled at your desire to move to NYC. If I was a conservative, and wanted to feel less isolated by being around other conservatives, then I would stay away from urban areas such as NYC. I would stay in the "cowtowns" as I said to you before.

Of course, I am a liberal and my values are very important to me, and I live in Texas. So you and I are obviously different people. I can live in a place where the values of the populace are usually the polar opposite of my own.

It just seemed a funny question to ask. "I want to live in NYC and enjoy the culture, but don't want to see the gay people that create that culture. Can't I just enjoy a broadway show without having to be around those nasty homos?" It just seemed like a silly question. But if you have been reading these forums, then you know that there are many people in NYC just like you, who share your homophobic views. You can DM them and maybe meet up with them when you get to town, so it doesn't matter where you live.

PS, I disagree with your statements often are more bigoted and intolerant than conservatives. In Texas, we call that "hogwash"

Last edited by JayBrown80; 08-03-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Excellent points. I would LOVE for more people like you to move to New York. I hope you do realize that most of New Yorkers that were born and raised here, are Conservatives. Most of these Liberals come from out of state, they don't represent us at all.
Total nonsense. The overwhelming majority of NYC natives I know, including my own family, are liberal. The overwhelming majority of those people have never lived anywhere else.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I added the bold because I did not want to take your words out of context. I think what upsets liberals like myself is that CoolChris lives in a rent stabilized apartment with his grandfather (subsidized by folks who pay higher market rent), takes disability payments, enjoys union benefits and then complains about how liberal values have ruined New York. He would be living a very different life without the benefits of liberalism.
Understandable, see I have nothing against a person like you, despite your political party. I could care less if your a liberal or where you are born. I just get offended if another poster is telling somebody else not to move here, because they are a Conservative, thats a bit extreme. I would never tell a liberal not to move here, I don't have issues with anybody, New York is a much better place now then it was back in the day, I am glad that some of you are here, EVERYONE makes the city better. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that is the freedom of living in this great city and in this great country of America. I say the same about Republicans who insult Democrats and call them outside of their name in a debate. Things get foolish, I mean its politics, we should discuss like human-beings, not animals and make mean, hurtful statements about eachother. Washington is a mess right now, we need to work together to change it. But both sides need to inch together somehow. I love a good debate, but once it gets out of hand, I'm gone haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City