U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2010, 01:58 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,892,975 times

Advertisements

I was just curious about some parts of NYC I've not dared to venture to. Coming from Detroit and various other "hard" places, spending many years in the south side of Chicago when growing up even... What areas of Harlem are the worst? I am on street view right now and it looks like a typical African American neighborhood, not very run down at all, with Spanish Harlem looking very vibrant and well kept.

What parts are bad?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 PM

479 posts, read 851,046 times
The parts where is desolate at night. Unlike many other ghettos, most of the crime happens really late at night (most of the time after midnight) when nobody is around and it tends to happen between ghetto thugs and gangs who live in or around the projects. That is when they really come out and stay active and where those shootings take place. For the regular working people, all they have to deal with is robbers, but is less likely to happened in the daytime or anytime before midnight. If you try to stay in a busy street, you are less likely to get assaulted.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:12 PM

91 posts, read 165,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
The parts where is desolate at night. Unlike many other ghettos, most of the crime happens really late at night (most of the time after midnight) .
Is that unusual? (the late at night thing), I was under the impression that late at night was generally the worst time to be in less-safe neighborhoods.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM

479 posts, read 851,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allygory View Post
Is that unusual? (the late at night thing), I was under the impression that late at night was generally the worst time to be in less-safe neighborhoods.
Believe me. I have been in parts of Camden and Philadelphia (family and friends live or lived there), where street crime happened anytime on day. Shootings and robberies were frequent during the day. Not so much in Harlem. It is mostly a late night thing.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 AM

30,301 posts, read 27,428,319 times
go during the day when all the bad guys are sleeping

Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM

10,373 posts, read 18,898,134 times
seriously most crime in general happens during the night in NYC. so maybe one should ask what neighborhoods are violent in the daytime? then you'll get a good gauge on how dangerous the neighborhood is. if its bad during the day, you'd sure as hell wouldnt want to go there at night.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 27,920 times
Honestly, Harlem is becoming less and less "bad," even during the night. I live in Harlem and absolutely love it. Unfortunately the name cannot shake the image of the black urban blight that was a problem in the 80s and 90s. Harlem is actually a very vibrant, culturally diverse (although it retains a lot of its African American culture) neighborhood. Where I live on 5th Avenue, many of the streets are tree-lined and full of beautiful brownstones...and look like many of the streets on the Upper West or Upper East Sides! Desolate areas (like under the Metro North tracks on Park Avenue) and the projects are areas that should be avoided, but everywhere else seems to be nicer than most people think.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,216,132 times
Nowhere in Harlem is as bad as almost anywhere in Detroit or the South Side of Chicago. There are better areas (South of 125th St, Hamilton Heights) and worse areas (central Harlem north of 140th St), but nowhere is "very dangerous" by the standards of a non-NYC American city.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 11,634,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Nowhere in Harlem is as bad as almost anywhere in Detroit or the South Side of Chicago. There are better areas (South of 125th St, Hamilton Heights) and worse areas (central Harlem north of 140th St), but nowhere is "very dangerous" by the standards of a non-NYC American city.
This is generally true.Although the East Harlem precinct has one of the highest crime rates in NYC,the crime rates for the highest crime areas of NYC don't come near the crime rates of most American cities..... especially Detroit, which seems to be in a perpetuual battle with New Orleans for the title of most crime ridden city in the country.
St Louis,Columbus,Cincinnati,Philadelphia,Memphis, Atlanta,Miami and many other cities have citywide( including the good neighborhoods) crime rates that are higher than the highest crime precincts of NY. In other words you are safer on the streets of East Harlem,The South Bronx or East New york than you are on the "average "streets in these cities.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 AM

88 posts, read 213,529 times
There is a site that rated neighborhoods by violent crime according to census tracts, There was an area in Harlem in the top 15 in the country where the chance of being a victim was 1 in 8.

Harlem has some very violent pockets but I wouldn't worry about it too as these are blocks where there is a lot of poverty and it's not likely you will live on one of those blocks. At the same time Harlem in general does have a lot of crime but mostly ignorant individual on ignorant individual. Just keep an eye out and avoid wondering when it's late and you will be fine. In Harlem things do happen during the day but without as much frequency as after dark. Usually because there are way less people after dark lingering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City