Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,578 times

Advertisements

Where do you live now?

You don't necessarily have to go to a big name school to get into the field, but if you're going to New York, you're looking at Pratt, Parsons, and Cooper Union. They're the best. The top. They carry a lot more weight than some less acclaimed schools. However, you've got to be pretty outstanding across the board to get in (Cooper Union, for example, has an acceptance rate of less than 4%).

That being said, if you're willing to expand your scope, there are some really great art schools that a. have higher acceptance rates, b. have cheaper tuition (save CU, which offers a full-ride scholarship to every student accepted), and c. are located in more financially reasonable cities.

Two more years left of school would mean you're what? 15, 16, 17? Take a deep breath and slow down. Having a job and managing school is a lot easier than it sounds, and living in a less expensive city will be much more manageable. Temple University's Tyler School of Art in PA is a phenomenal art school. They have an acceptance rate of 7-20%, still located in the city, and the name still carries a lot of weight.

Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, RISD, SAIC, MassArt, and Rochester Institute of Technology are all highly acclaimed, top-rated art schools. If you want to get into advertising/graphic design, California schools might be a better choice. Otis and the Art Center have more commercially emphasized programs, making post-school job placement easier. Ringling in Sarasota, FL is along the same lines.

A lot of libraries have started to offer free college planning advice (the one at the central library in Arizona is called "College Depot", but yours might have a different name). It's worth a look, because they offer free workshops and advice, and they'll help you plan for and apply for college. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 PM

177 posts, read 416,337 times
Absolutely follow your dream!

I recommend F.I.T. if finances are a concern. You'd be surprised how many buyers have gone to FIT. And tho' I've never been there as a student,I've passed it almost everyday going to work,and right now coincidently, live next door to a very successful buyer who loved her experience at FIT. She's traveled all over and has a job she loves.

Have to say I've always wanted to sow my creative oats but really didn't. They have continuing education set up too and one soon day I may enroll for at least one of them and am looking forward to that.

Don't be disuaded! If you tend toward certain creativities that seem to fit F.I.T.,and you don't have the funds for the more expensive Pratt or Parson's,please consider finding out more about it during these next 2 years. They'll be glad to have you and you'll meet many different people and no doubt have an interesting experience.

Last edited by nyfreesia; 08-15-2010 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: to add a couple of things

Old 08-15-2010, 07:00 PM

Fashion Institute of Technology - Home Page

Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
I recommend F.I.T. if finances are a concern.

It's only cheaper if you are a NY state resident. I don't remember her saying she was.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
It's only cheaper if you are a NY state resident. I don't remember her saying she was.
According to the F.I.T. website,out of state tuition for Associate Degree students is about $11,500, a year,and $13,500 towards a Bachelor's.

From what I read just now,Pratt and Parsons look like they run somewhere between $28,000 and $34,000.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
According to the F.I.T. website,out of state tuition for Associate Degree students is about $11,500, a year,and $13,500 towards a Bachelor's.

From what I read just now,Pratt and Parsons look like they run somewhere between $28,000 and $34,000.

Not sure where you got that information from but right here (Fashion Institute of Technology - Cost of Attendance (COA)) it say that out of state tuition is $26,690

Old 08-15-2010, 08:41 PM

from here. Fashion Institute of Technology - Tuition

Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Yes that's the tuition. What i posted was the cost of attendance. which is a more realistic view of how much it will cost to live there. She's is going to need housing, books, and plenty of other stuff!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 PM

Another suggestion op sarahruby,is to try to join things in school that involve your creativity,for ex.,you can become part of the costume design or set design for the high school plays. You will already have begun to build a nice record of creativity that may be important towards a grant to help you move forward`with your aspirations. I hope you have a great school year! Don't spend too much time on sites tho',best to study instead.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM

12 posts, read 18,492 times
have you never heard of hope and setting goals for yourself???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City