Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 AM

447 posts, read 1,563,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
We all know that the stats are fudged, it is common knowledge at this point. However, it should be noted that all cities do this and it is not unique to NYC. The best way to gauge crime is to go to the source, the communities that typically drive the crime rates of NYC.

As a longtime resident of one of those communities (Southern Bronx/Mott Haven area), I can say that crime has dropped dramatically over the past 20 years (as it has in most communities across the city), and I did not need the stats to let me know this.

I cannot tell you whether crime is on an upswing or not, but what I can say is that I feel no less safe than I did a year ago, or 4 years ago, nor do I notice things spiraling out of control. However, I feel significantly/alot safer than I did 10 years ago and 10,000 times safer than 20 years ago. Maybe our substantial drops in crime are tapering off and now it will plateau and stay at the current record lows of the past 5 years....and I am ok with that. I can live with 40 year record low crime rates..can you?
Crime is going up.
Not staying where it should be. I think NY messes more than any other city with there crime stats. I doubt crime will ever be as bad as it was due to the crack wars being over but hey,one murder is one to many.
But listen nypd's stats don't add up.
Less police officers plus a Bad economy but somehow crime is down 40%?
I don't feel safer then I did in 2008. I feel even worse then in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
I definitely remember two double murders happening in Bed-Stuy on the same day and only one was reported in the stats. The other double homicide was never included, that to me was just bold evidence that they fudge stats.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Crime MAY be going up...we do not know other than anecdotal information. We do know that violent crime has escalated to 2008 levels, which is unfortunate, however 2008 was a former record low. I can live with that. The bigger question is this: Are we at the point where we are changing from declining crime trend to an upward crime trend? The truth is we cannot answer that with 8 months of data, and anyone that says 8 months of data is enough to make that judgment is simply wrong.

Over the past 20 years of our declining crime rates, we have had up years, several in fact, however the long term trend has been decidedly downward, and regardless of what the stats say, any longterm resident of NYC (20 years minimum) would agree crime has fallen over the longterm.

I am sorry you feel less safe, I feel the same as I did last year and 4 years ago, and far safer than 10 years ago. We can both be right...if I lived in East NY or Brownsville I probably would feel less safe than I did last year or 5 years ago possibly. That's not the case for me.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Crime MAY be going up...we do not know other than anecdotal information. We do know that violent crime has escalated to 2008 levels, which is unfortunate, however 2008 was a former record low. I can live with that. The bigger question is this: Are we at the point where we are changing from declining crime trend to an upward crime trend? The truth is we cannot answer that with 8 months of data, and anyone that says 8 months of data is enough to make that judgment is simply wrong.

Over the past 20 years of our declining crime rates, we have had up years, several in fact, however the long term trend has been decidedly downward, and regardless of what the stats say, any longterm resident of NYC (20 years minimum) would agree crime has fallen over the longterm.

I am sorry you feel less safe, I feel the same as I did last year and 4 years ago, and far safer than 10 years ago. We can both be right...if I lived in East NY or Brownsville I probably would feel less safe than I did last year or 5 years ago possibly. That's not the case for me.
Okay first, I doubt 2009 was better then 2008 at all,second,2010 murders is definitely worse then the NYPD stats of 2009 and about the same as NYPD stats of 2008. However, NYPD most likely lied about 2009 especially due to it being an election year. 2008 was probably messed with but not to the degree of 2009. Anyone notice now that there isn't a mayoral election crime is now up? Something fishy going on.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Is this a new NYC crime thread ? Seems like we have more than one going at the same time.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 AM

747 posts, read 2,757,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
I have a feeling the NYPD is lying. 460 or so murders seems so low.
I remember 2009 being a violent year for what I'm used to.
And what exactly are you used to? Aren't you 17?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Yes.
I'm used to pretty low crime except for my early childhood.
I wasn't born yesterday.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Is this a new NYC crime thread ? Seems like we have more than one going at the same time.
No, this is about the NYPD fudging crime stats.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:20 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Can't just brush someone off because of their age.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
No, this is about the NYPD fudging crime stats.
A long time ago, Mark Twain had this to say on the subject...

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City