Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreatness555 View Post
Actually the South Bronx was all Jewish and Italian in the 50s and 60s, don't most middle class NYers know that? LES wasn't Jewish in the 70s bro c'mon. We all know that it wasn't a good place at all. Alphabet City was mostly Black and Puerto Rican with the poor white who stayed. Alphabet City was one of the worst places in NY, and the only other whites who were there and weren't poor were the weirdos, remember the guy from LES, in the 1980s who cut his girl friend up and made her into soup and ate her? Some strange people there. That was a nice place for a middle class NYer?
He's not talking about Alphabet City. He's talking about the Hillman co-ops. The co-ops below Delancey by Grand Street were, and are, and always have been, predominantly Jewish. The garment workers' unions built them and a lot of the people there today are the kids and grandkids of the original residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
I moved from the West Village to Queens in 1971. The West Village, and where I lived in Queens, were ok. My Mom lived in Chelsea in Manhattan where I grew up since a teenager. That was not a nice area in the 70s either. There was a lot of garbage and dog dump all over. Groups of men used to hang out on the stoops drinking. Then came gentrification and coop conversion in the 80s and that really, really changed that area. It's now very clean and also very EXPENSIVE.

Queens? Well, again it depended where you were. This was the Son of Sam time. I used to have long brown hair and many young women cut their hair in fear of being a target of him.

Generally, the 70s were not a very good time at all for NYC. It almost went bankrupt, Son of Sam, the Bronx is burning (yes, remember the Bronx too), drugs were rampant even among the establishment, etc., etc.

Night and day compared to now.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
He's not talking about Alphabet City. He's talking about the Hillman co-ops. The co-ops below Delancey by Grand Street were, and are, and always have been, predominantly Jewish. The garment workers' unions built them and a lot of the people there today are the kids and grandkids of the original residents.
thank you

Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Generally, the 70s were not a very good time at all for NYC. It almost went bankrupt, Son of Sam, the Bronx is burning (yes, remember the Bronx too), drugs were rampant even among the establishment, etc., etc.

Night and day compared to now.
At stuyvesant the cutbacks resulted in a student strike. Activism, intensity, community.

When the black out came there was looting, remember? I was at my uncles near sheepshead bay that night - on the drive back up ocean parkway, EVERY street corner had volunteers directing traffic. back in boro park people hung out, shared radios and stuff, it was like a block party. we didnt know about the looting that night till we heard about it on the radio the next day.

It was 2 different cities then. (at least 2)

Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 PM

65 posts, read 460,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Oh wow! Two buildings are Jewish! Thats a sight to see.... I don't think theres many 'kids and grandkids of the original residents' left either, I bet the landlord got them out anyway possible, are you kidding me? The prices people are paying for apartments now...you must be crazy.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM

The only building downtown that has original residents and is actually RENT STABILIZED, and a REAL GOOD DEAL is Stuyvesant Town my buddy used to live there in a 1BR, I would've done anything for that apartment. Theres no other buildings like that there and they are even trying to change Stuyvesant Town, so yeah..

Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Oh wow! Two buildings are Jewish! Thats a sight to see.... I don't think theres many 'kids and grandkids of the original residents' left either, I bet the landlord got them out anyway possible, are you kidding me? The prices people are paying for apartments now...you must be crazy.

land lord? Havent you been reading my posts? They are Co-ops. Originally built by trade unions. Do you know what a co-op is?

and its not just two small buildings

"Combined, the four cooperatives have 4,500 apartments in twelve buildings."

dude, you are just sounding ignorant now. You dont have to click on the links, but you could at least read the friggin posts.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
The only building downtown that has original residents and is actually RENT STABILIZED, and a REAL GOOD DEAL is Stuyvesant Town my buddy used to live there in a 1BR, I would've done anything for that apartment. Theres no other buildings like that there and they are even trying to change Stuyvesant Town, so yeah..

stuyvesant town is a "building"

do you use the english language differently from the rest of us?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
stuyvesant town is a "building"

do you use the english language differently from the rest of us?
Si lo hago . Uhhh yeah I know what a Co-Op is, its a building owned/managed by a company or agency. I used to live in one...You don't think if these HUGE companies wanted to make money by kicking LIFE LONG tenants out, that they couldnt? come on 'dude', lets face the harsh reality of business here, if they are living under their 'grandparents' names as you said they were, then they are seriously paying BELOW MARKET prices, these companies are taking a HUGE LOSS. The world is a business, not everything is about what should be and what shouldn't. Not many Jewish people live on the Lower East Side today, the most Jewish thing down there is Katz Deli.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Si lo hago . Uhhh yeah I know what a Co-Op is, its a building owned/managed by a company or agency.
no, its not.

Please God, give me strength not to call this man an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City