Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM

244 posts, read 568,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
He does what's in the best interest of HIMSELF and his uber rich friends.

Don't get it twisted.
Well whatever he does, it's working.

The city is as nice as its ever been.

If that's corruption...well then corrupt the hell out of NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:
I have nothing to add to this thread other than I believe NO ONE should ever be allowed to hold any office for life. It breeds corruption and malaise.

Two terms should be the max. Give folks a chance to miss you or find someone else. Like right now, even though Rudy Guilliani brought the city from the brink during 9/11 he will never, ever be elected mayor again.

He was this horrible tyrant with his foot on the throat of the city and there was no freedom. No one wants to go back to that again, ever.

Bloomfield by right shouldn't be mayor, but he "bought" his way on the ticket and I also believe there was some racist undertones with it, but since I have no definite proof I'll stop here.

That is all. Carry on....
How was he a tyrant? What did he do that you disagree with.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I know for a fact that people who get welfare have to work. I work with them all the time. Actually that is where you are wrong it is permanent. When they get taken off welfare they are able to reapply and get back on welfare. I know this for a fact. Welfare is just one of many programs that cost the government money. Section 8 is another program that cost the government money.
Also just so you know people that work for sanitation, mta(subway and bus), fire department, police and taxi cab drivers all make good money and most of them dont live in the getto and the ones that do live there because they want to not because they dont have the choice. The rich yuppies actually have high paying jobs which make them rich yuppies. The trust fund hipsters work at cafes, and "cool places" like in park slope. I am in the getto very often and many people there have jobs and work hard but many people there also live off the system taking without giving back. Gentification doesnt just mean whites coming to the area. I see a lot of professional blacks and hispanics in the getto. Many of them move towards the boarder of the getto where they build the new homes.
So the police officers and firefighters that make around $35,000 as a starting salary make good money? Cab drivers make good money?
They don't, especially in New York City.

So answer the question. If you were to gentrify NY to death, who would do this work? Certainly not the trust-fund hipsters. Definitely not the rich yuppies, so who would do that work? Exactly, nobody. If you gentrified NY to death this city would die in a matter of months.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
I don't care if it breeds corruption, Bloomberg always seems to do whats in the best interest of tax paying New Yorkers.

He should be mayor for life.
I actually disagree with you. I want him for governor.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM

244 posts, read 568,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
So the police officers and firefighters that make around $35,000 as a starting salary make good money? Cab drivers make good money?

So answer the question. If you were to gentrify NY to death, who would do this work? Certainly not the trust-fund hipsters. Definitely not the rich yuppies, so who would do that work? Exactly, nobody. If you gentrified NY to death this city would die in a matter of months.
Can't they take the train from Newark into NYC?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post

I wont post how much the police and firefighters make but when they first come on the job they make 45k after 5 years when they hit top pay it is a lot more and not considering overtime. Police and fire do very well. Gentrification doesnt mean getting rid of the middle class. It just means bring a poor area to an upper middle class area.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Well whatever he does, it's working.

The city is as nice as its ever been.

If that's corruption...well then corrupt the hell out of NYC!
See? You're black and from DC, so you would feel this way.

I'm black and FROM NYC, so I'm not fooled by anything he's done.

I know Victorfox will come up in here and give the man all these platitudes, but as a landlord of course HE loves him.

Even with how I feel about Bloomberg, he's ten times better than Guilliani, who before he became mayor picketed with police officers that were holding signs calling former mayor Dinkins a "washroom attendant" and all types of racist slurs. No, I did not forget that. He also purposely created an all white undercover police taskforce in predominantly minority neighborhoods which only became exposed after the shooting of african immigrant Amadou Diallo. The man was shot 50 times by 4 police officers who never interacted with blacks except to arrest them. All he was doing was going for his wallet. Wonder if they would have shot a hasidic jew in Brooklyn for doing the same thing? Doubt it.

This same taskforce would harass young black and latino teenagers all across NYC with the full knowledge and blessing of that bastard (who called himself a "Crime fighter") Giulliani. 9/11 made him some sort of "hero", but NYers who lived there BEFORE the twin tower takedown remember an egotistical, self-centered tyrant.

Wow...didn't mean to go that far back, but yeah, even with Bloomberg looking out for his cronies he's still way tolerable than his former republican predecessor. If he was running against RG every time, then yes, he can be "mayor for life". No problem.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Can't they take the train from Newark into NYC?
Not sure. But why should they? Why should they want to?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I wont post how much the police and firefighters make but when they first come on the job they make 45k after 5 years when they hit top pay it is a lot more and not considering overtime. Police and fire do very well. Gentrification doesnt mean getting rid of the middle class. It just means bring a poor area to an upper middle class area.
I look up the F.D.N.Y. starting salary in NY. It is $43,000, with that income, you are eligible to move to a public housing project. That is low income, even if you are single. If you have kids or are married then the city is throwing a giant middle finger in your face.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
See? You're black and from DC, so you would feel this way.

I'm black and FROM NYC, so I'm not fooled by anything he's done.

I know Victorfox will come up in here and give the man all these platitudes, but as a landlord of course HE loves him.

Even with how I feel about Bloomberg, he's ten times better than Guilliani, who before he became mayor picketed with police officers that were holding signs calling former mayor Dinkins a "washroom attendant" and all types of racist slurs. No, I did not forget that. He also purposely created an all white undercover police taskforce in predominantly minority neighborhoods which only became exposed after the shooting of african immigrant Amadou Diallo. The man was shot 50 times by 4 police officers who never interacted with blacks except to arrest them. All he was doing was going for his wallet. Wonder if they would have shot a hasidic jew in Brooklyn for doing the same thing? Doubt it.

This same taskforce would harass young black and latino teenagers all across NYC with the full knowledge and blessing of that bastard (who called himself a "Crime fighter") Giulliani. 9/11 made him some sort of "hero", but NYers who lived there BEFORE the twin tower takedown remember an egotistical, self-centered tyrant.

Wow...didn't mean to go that far back, but yeah, even with Bloomberg looking out for his cronies he's still way tolerable than his former republican predecessor. If he was running against RG every time, then yes, he can be "mayor for life". No problem.
If you want to go back even further look at dinkins. He was the one who made giulliani look so good. Crime was a big issue and the economy was horrible here. Dinkins like all mayors looked out for his cronies just like guillian and bloomberg. During Dinkins time, a hasidic man got into an accident running over a black child and because of that a group of blacks found a young hasidic man murdering him. This happened in crown heights by the way. Dinkins didnt do much about that situation. Where was al sharpton protesting? Where was jesse jackson? I wonder if it was the other way around what would of happened? I pray this city never goes back to the days of Dinkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City