Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:04 AM

37 posts, read 93,479 times

Advertisements

As a possible NYC university student, what areas of New York City should I be cautious about? Also, what things should I know about living in New York? Are the subways safe? Do you run into a lot of crazys in the streets and subways?(Every city has 'em)

I am from Houston,Texas. As a young minority female living in a very large cultural city. Even with the cultures, diversity, and variety of people, I know there are areas around my city certain people should avoid. There's crime and there are prejudice people, what areas in New York have the worst reputations for them?

In regards to my question, how are the areas of Greenwich Village and Central Park West about minorites and prices? The university resides in that neighborhood.

Just give me advice for living in New York. Therefore, details would be nice!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 AM

447 posts, read 1,564,280 times
First, the subways are very safe nowadays. There was recently a double homicide in the subway but luckily more efforts have now been made to keep security in check. As for crazy people on the subway,
yes you will see them from time to time but it depends on the neighborhoods.

Here is a list of areas to be avoided-

Harlem
East Harlem
Washington Heights
Mott Haven
Far Rockaway
Jamaica
Bed-Stuy
Bushwick
Queensbridge(In L.I.C.)
Canarsie
Flatbush
Alphabet City(Especially around Ave D)
Most of the South Bronx as a whole
Wakefield
Brownsville
East NY
East Elmhurst
Corona
Most public housing developments

There are several areas to be avoided. You'll know em when you see them.
As for Greenwich Village and Central park west(UWS?), they are very expensive and you will likely be the only minority in the immediate area. You won't face any racism. As for areas with racism, i think Besonhurst in Brooklyn is pretty famous for it.

NYC is segregated by both economical and racial divides. Most ethnic groups live in their own area and the income is similar.

For common safety issues in NY I recommend you:

Don't get on empty subway cars, especially at night
Do not flash around money or valued items
Do not go walk around with large amounts of cash
Do not stare at people, especially in poorer neighborhoods
At late hours, walk around with a friend, or in a group
If you are robbed, give the attacker what he/she wants and DO NOT make any smart or unneeded comment.
New York is an EXTREMELY SAFE city but anything CAN happen anywhere at anytime.
This is just street smarts that you must carry in any big city.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks for your reply.
What areas in NYC have upper middle class ethnic diversity?

Also, how is the life in Greenwich Village( in terms of lifestyle)? Is it the rich, upper middle class or mid range middle class type of environment?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:48 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,468 times
Do not worry about crime much, it has gotten extremely safe in the past 15 years to the point that formerly bad neighborhoods are now unrecognizable. However some neighborhoods are still bad such as Far Rockaway, Brownsville, and East New York along with a few others. But most of the city has been gentrified.

Greenwich Village is a rich and upper class area. It can be very expensive however you can find a studio in or around it for around $1,500 or $2,000 a month if that is your budget area. You will be living in a closet though. Almost anywhere in the city will be like living in a closet.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfthewave4 View Post
Thanks for your reply.
What areas in NYC have upper middle class ethnic diversity?

Also, how is the life in Greenwich Village( in terms of lifestyle)? Is it the rich, upper middle class or mid range middle class type of environment?
Greenwich Village is very white and very rich. There are all kinds of people walking around but to the people who actually live there I assume it is not diverse at all.

An area with upper middle class diversity would be the Lower East Side or the East Village. It can get a little sketchy at night so carry with you some caution.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Greenwich Village is very white and very rich. There are all kinds of people walking around but to the people who actually live there I assume it is not diverse at all.

An area with upper middle class diversity would be the Lower East Side or the East Village. It can get a little sketchy at night so carry with you some caution.
Ha, thanks for the warning. I will.
At what time of night should I, the law abiding citizen, start heading home in prospects of avoiding the bad night crowd (the sketchy people you mentioned?)

Me, being non-white, will I have a problem with the immediate residents of Greenwich Village?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfthewave4 View Post
Ha, thanks for the warning. I will.
At what time of night should I, the law abiding citizen, start heading home in prospects of avoiding the bad night crowd (the sketchy people you mentioned?)

Me, being non-white, will I have a problem with the immediate residents of Greenwich Village?

The sketchy people I mentioned are in the The Lower East Side/Alphabet City. The area around Ave D has some housing projects that should be avoided, especially at night. But, that area is very diverse racially and economically.
You'll know when you get to the housing projects, they are tall,brown buildings. You'll see a sign that says,for example, Welcome to Laguardia Houses or, Welcome to Jacob Riis Houses. If you were to live in this area I suggest you should go home before dark. The area changes late at night. Usually drug dealers and crackheads come out late.

In Greenwich Village you should not face any discrimination or racism. There isn't much diversity but I doubt the residents are prejudice at all.
However, the area is very safe and secure and you could come home whenever you want.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:46 PM

That is nice to know. On an average day, how much money should I carry around? I noticed you didn't mention Inwood in your areas to avoid, is that a good area then?

One thing I noted was NYC people saying don't make yourself appear as a tourist [aka map in hand]. Then how am I going to get around without a map or my cell phone out? You can not just ask people on the street. My aunt did that and the person sent her far away, when the place was actually behind both of them. Basically, the women and my aunt were standing outside of the store. So the native just lied purposely (which I somewhat understand.) Can you only walk in a store and ask an employee? Are those the only individuals going to give you legitimate answers?

Last edited by Surfthewave4; 08-07-2010 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 PM

177 posts, read 416,293 times
Altho' the subways have gotten safer,I'd be sure to ride in the conductor's car,which is about the middle car of the train. You can tell where that car will be before the train arrives,by the white strips on the overhead pipes where the train will be pulling in. (I'm not explaining that too good I guess,but if you ever do visit and ride the trains,if you look up when you're in the subway station waiting for the trains,you'll see.)
Once it gets past 9pm,or any low rider time,best to get to the conductor's car if you can,might as well be on the safer side.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM

177 posts, read 416,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post

(That's an interesting post regarding the Greenwich Village and what it's become.
so true!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City