Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 PM

9 posts, read 15,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
What were you doing in the PROJECTS???
Looking for drugs?

The 20 murdered people you keep shouting about, how many were involved with drugs and gangs? How many were low lifes involved in low life sht?!!

How many were decent people minding their own business, and were innoccently attacked? Likely NONE!

Spouting statistics are meaningless unless you understand the statistics. LOTS of gentrifiers have moved into that area. How many of the 20 were gentrifiers? Likely, NONE!

Now, is there way too high a concentration of housing projects and substandard tenements? Absofreakinglutely! Do they effect the overall nature of the area? Yup!

If you are a gentrifier, having bought a brownstone/coop/condo in the area, not involved in any of the crime aand crap in the neighborhood, is your life more safe than all those who are involved? Without a doubt!

Is your llife more safe than the innocent people who, unfortunately, must live in and among the housing projects and lousy tenements? Unquestionably safer, because the only contact you have with the 'bad people' is cursory passings on the street.

So, if you happen to be a criminal, semi criminal, or one of the unfortunate innocents, life sucks, but don't put that on everyone. Some live in newly renovated brownstones and constructed condos, avoid the subway at night, don't waalk around at night, and live fairly safe somewhat luxuriated lives. The *pop* *pop* *pop* in the night is just entertainment!
If Harlem is safe, why did you tell people to lock themseleves in the rooms at night? It's apparently against your opinion, so, save it, don't mislead people around. You are maybe just posting on the website, but for people who saw your rediculous post, they are one step closer to the potential danger. So, ladies and gentleman,please, if you don't want to get robbed on the street, please stay away from Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 PM

9 posts, read 15,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebobelaine View Post
thx so much for all the responses!

I have been reading all posts on city data abt east Harlem, and the opinion is quite diverse, therefore I have always been confused.

When I go inspecting this room, the guy who live upstair and my now female flatmate keep insuring me is quite safe to live here, (they are all japanese) I believe them so I decided on this place.
I don't think they were lying to me , just I think maybe they have been lucky living for so many years and nth had happend on them and really think East Harlem is safe.

I think I will give here a try for a month. Then decide what do to do next,...

But Thx again for all your replys!!!
Do you know why Japanese couple tell you Harlem is safe? Maybe,because they own the condo you are going to rent!!!!! Keeping asking yourself this question: if Harlem is safe, why the rent is so much cheaper than the rest parts of Manhattan?? It gets to be some reasons behind it. Am I right?

Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
A lot of gullible out of towners are moving into Harlem these days and they're usually the victims of crime such as getting their iphones and purse snatched. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Harlem because during the day the criminals are asleep and they come out in the afternoon and night. Many of the criminals no longer live in Harlem but they travel there by train and prey on newbies because they know the area so well they can easily get away without being caught.

I have to say most criminals love robbing asians because in general asians are smaller and wouldn't put up a fight. So Asian female in Harlem is highly susceptible to getting their purse or iphone snatched and the worst could be getting followed and raped. Unless you live near a police precinct, there is a reason why Harlem rent is cheaper than the rest of Manhattan.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 AM

482 posts, read 944,989 times
I am a native New Yorker, out of all of the places in Manhattan to live, East Harlem is the least desirable. They are trying to gentrify it, but because of the lack of trains other than on Lexington, it is going to take a longer amount of time. Even if your friends are telling you it's safe, it's NOT safe at 11. If you have to come home that time of night, use the 96th street or 125th street stations and take a cab to your building. Most of the drug culture in Harlem is in East Harlem, the heroine and crack heads love the East side of Harlem for some reason. Be safe...good luck.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Are you all blind. Op is dead already...

Old 08-09-2013, 03:07 AM

106 posts, read 129,376 times
Lol there goes Manhattan's next Chinatown ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City