U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-08-2010, 06:43 PM

6 posts, read 8,993 times
Post Is east harlem in New york bad?

Well i might move there and i want to know is it safe
to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM

606 posts, read 705,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkschi View Post
to move there.

What do you consider "bad"? East Harlem has come a long way. It is up and coming, and you have a very diverse community.

What part of East Harlem?

Unread 08-09-2010, 05:12 PM

6,139 posts, read 9,532,727 times
Read this recent thread:

Asian in East Harlem

Unread 08-09-2010, 06:25 PM

447 posts, read 759,932 times
Yes. East Harlem is a terrible neighborhood.
Its still heavily Hispanic. It has some gentrification going on, but thats it.

Unread 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM

4,851 posts, read 4,290,443 times
Nonsense
East Harlem isn't that bad.
Dont make blanket statements like that.
duh

Unread 08-09-2010, 06:51 PM

12 posts, read 21,277 times
It is a third-world ethnic cesspool. You will know fear.

Unread 08-09-2010, 07:20 PM

973 posts, read 2,267,529 times
I have two friends who are girls that live there. One of them is white and the other one is hispanic. They both live for a few years now and they like it. They haven't have any problems.

Yes there is crime there. Some killings. But mostly happens very late at night between gangs sometimes and in those housing projects for the most part. But for the normal hard working person the only thing I will be worry will be robberies. But my friends haven't been attack and they both party in lower Manhattan a lot and come late on weekends and nothing has happened to them. One of them has been in Harlem for almost five years now. So you should check things out. If you don't really feel comfortable, you don't have to move there.

Also wasn't nycistheplace2 a teenager and he said he wanted to scared white people from these neighborhoods? I believe he is the one that said he does not want any white people moving to black or hispanic neighborhoods. He hates gentrification and does not want others to move there. I will not take his comments and a few others here too seriously. I will not be surprise if he has many login names to comment here. LOL

Unread 08-10-2010, 10:15 AM

606 posts, read 705,402 times
Quote:
to move there.

I'm going to cut/paste my response to a young Asian woman who wanted to know how "safe" Harlem is.

In any area in NYC one needs to exercise some street smarts. That is a given if you decide to live here and/or visit. You don't make yourself an easy target for NO ONE.

Harlem is up and coming, and a lot of changes have taken place. It use to be a highly populated by PRicans (Spanish Harlem: High 90s and about 120th/ish streets from Fifth Avenue to FDR Drive) and African American (Black Harlem - more North/West of Spanish Harlem) area. Now, it is populated by Mexicans, PRicans, Caucasians, Asians and African Americans.

Some who have responded in a negative fashion probably NEVER lived there much less know the 411 on this neighborhood. Is it the most "exclusive" area in NYC? No, but just like Red Hook (where no one would be caught DEAD back in the days) in Bklyn and other areas in NYC it is up and coming, and many changes (good changes) are in place.

I lived there (Spanish Harlem) from the age of 15-early 30s, and have very fond memories. However, I do embrace other cultures/diversity and never placed myself in any situation(s) where my safety would be compromised.

Give it some time, and if YOU do not feel comfortable move.

Best,

Last edited by SummerBabe; 08-10-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Unread 08-10-2010, 10:21 AM

40,061 posts, read 17,608,364 times
Quote:
to move there.
"Bad" is about as subjective as it's possible to be. Just because one person wouldn't live in an area, that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't be perfectly happy there.

Use this as a guideline: any neighborhood where you feel unsafe is bad. Doesn't matter where in the city it is. If you're not comfortable there, don't move in.

(I was being rerouted through some kind of pop-up before my posting went through, and SummerBabe got her commentary in first. But as you can see, we agree about things like comfort level!)

Unread 08-10-2010, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 21,039 times
Do any of you know anything specific about the safety around 100th St & 1st Ave in East Harlem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City